• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's up with the UpB?

Zephil

Smash Ace
Hi people first time appearing in the mario forums but I have been playing with mario for a long time so probably you would see me more frequently here... anyways I have seen in different topics that a lot of people consider Mario's UpB one of the best of the game, but to be honest... I hate it... I know is great to use OOS but as a recovery the only good thing it has is that is fast because the recovery itself is not very long... also the move can kill but only at very high %... so people I love almost everything of Mario except his UpB so could you tell me why it is such a good move so that instead of hating it, I start loving it...

Thanks in advance

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You basically answered your own question.

The Moveset Discussion said:
Pros:
+It helps you recover.
+Last frame of attack causes stage spikes. (On edges like Battlefield, and Smashville.)
+Has invincibility on start, and goes throw all attacks.
+His best Out of Shield (OOS) option.
+Decent ledgecamp tool.
+Several aerials true combo into it.
+Amazing priority. (Screw the tornado. Meta mains can shove it)

Cons:
-Not really the best recovery compared to others.
-Easily predictable.
-Ending lag can cause you to get punished.
Don't underestimate it's uses, but don't overuse it.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
Hero said it ;)

Mario's up special is just a bit different than others. Although.... officially... his is one of the first.... considering the Smash 64 days.

(Seems like Brawl is your first experience of Smash then? Because Mario's up special was one of the first, since Smash 64.)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I love the last hit; it's so satisfying to kill with Mario's Up B, almost as satisfying as a Fair spike. Up B is best OOS, but it’s also nice to catch your opponent off-guard by out-prioritizing their moves with it, since it goes through pretty much everything.

Matt07

Smash Master
Up-B stage spike is sooo nice. The stage spike works at 0%, I had a Falco who died at like 12% from a Up B stage spike :laugh:. But yes, what Hero said, amazing Out of Shield option, fast start-up. Just be careful you don't miss with it however.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
biggest "all or nothing" move in mario's set.

if u miss, pray your opponent has a blonde moment. lol

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
Still less punishable than Luigi and Marth's Up B though...
true indeed, but i think the lag based off the damage that can be done from luigi or marth's up-b is pretty balanced. I've gotten killed by a marth's UpB at about 85 or so, pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom