• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's up with the poor reviews?

Zihark

Smash Rookie
Well, i checked out some reviews of brawl - player reviews obviously, and many of them complained on brawl for variosu reason, many complained on the lack of speed that melee had mainly and is reducing the gameplay value due to the removal of the wavedashing. Also i've seen much lack of scores in the reviews of because the lack of content vs how much melee added

I've never obviously played brawl, but I really think it looks fantastic (might be because i've lived in the hype since i first heard about it..) and play fantastic from the video's i've seen but theese reviews of people that have actually played the game makes me a tiny bit worried. Is it actually as bad as the lot of them say or is it only the hard-core melee fans that's upset about brawl not living up to their hype?

edit: I forgot to add, the majority of the reviews are high, mostly 9 or 10. But there's a few of them that's low and even so that makes me worried a bit.

shellblade

Smash Cadet
The game was slowed down so that new players could have an easier time against veterans. Wavedashing was taken out because it would make online lag a bunch and Brawl's content completely surpasses melee. (Don't get me started on that.) BYE

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
Well, i checked out some reviews of brawl - player reviews obviously, and many of them complained on brawl for variosu reason, many complained on the lack of speed that melee had mainly and is reducing the gameplay value due to the removal of the wavedashing. Also i've seen much lack of scores in the reviews of because the lack of content vs how much melee added

I've never obviously played brawl, but I really think it looks fantastic (might be because i've lived in the hype since i first heard about it..) and play fantastic from the video's i've seen but theese reviews of people that have actually played the game makes me a tiny bit worried. Is it actually as bad as the lot of them say or is it only the hard-core melee fans that's upset about brawl not living up to their hype?

edit: I forgot to add, the majority of the reviews are high, mostly 9 or 10. But there's a few of them that's low and even so that makes me worried a bit.
People that think that there's not more content in brawl then in melee (the part I bolded) should really just end their lives. Lets see what we have in brawl:
1. 35 awesome characters
2. A really cool single player mode
3. Online play
4. 41 stages plus all the custom stages you want
5. A stage builder
6.Tons of new items
7. Tons of new trophies
8. Stickers
9. Awesome music

That should be enough to justify any game, honestly,
This game is going to be good:)

shinnok-fan64

Smash Apprentice
^ I agree, taking out wavedashing was a smart move, as it lessens the lag.

Oh yeah, Brawl's added content>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melee's.

IMO.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I doubt that more than a few of them have actually played the game.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
The ratings 5 days ago and now would be completely different. Hardly anyone is complaining now.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
People that think that there's not more content in brawl then in melee (the part I bolded) should really just end their lives. Lets see what we have in brawl:
1. 35 awesome characters
2. A really cool single player mode
3. Online play
4. 41 stages plus all the custom stages you want
5. A stage builder
6.Tons of new items
7. Tons of new trophies
8. Stickers
9. Awesome music

That should be enough to justify any game, honestly,
This game is going to be good:)
^
It's not that it had less content then melee that is the complain, but rather, the upgrade SSB to SSBM had more content versus SSBM upgraded to SSBB. It's the amount of content added compared to the games that's the complaint's, not that it have less.

@MetalGearLink

I see that they can think it's a bit noobified, but that dosn't justify to give the game a poor rating since it obviously is a upgrade in most fronts compared to melee, what we lost was only a few clones, Mewtwo and certain advanced techniques. Oh and some stages was replaced with others aswell as weapons etc. I think all the changes were justified really

(expect perhaps taking out mewtwo... But we got Lucario anyway and he is supposed to be mewtwo's spiritual follow-up i belive)

S2

Smash Lord
Are you reading GFAQS reader reviews? or what?

The thing about reader reviews is that no one checks them. A lot of the time big name games get reviews and scores from users who haven't even played the game.

Either as fanboys or simply to troll and sabatoge a series they don't like.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
@S2:

Actually, I did check them among others, it just saddens me people do stuff like that, some of them have actually tested the game and is a dissapointed due to the lack of speed in the gameplay, well from what i've seen due to the reduced lag time it looks faster then melee did without advanced tech's at least. But it seems like the lot of hardcore melee'rs dosn't agree.

edit: @ Mess:

Actually, lot of the complaints was that people also thought it was more like a improved veresion of melee (or rather a "noobified" veresion with reduced speed) then a own game - don't ask how they could think that but that's how it is.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The only people bashing this game are (no offense) the 'professionals'. Sakurai obviously made a point to- I'm going to coin my own term here- MarioKart-ize Melee. What I mean by this is that Mario Kart really is purely fun. I have yet to see a "professional" MarioKarter, because it's impossible to own at that game. It can't be "mastered". I believe that this is what Sakurai had envisioned, especially if this tripping thing really is completely random. The amount of material in this game is ridiculous, and the only reason anyone would be disappointed is because of the immense amount of hype that got his or her hopes way too high.

Many, MANY people will be enjoying this game for years. Don't pay attention to reviews from people who either a) haven't played the game and are judging it off of youtube videos and message boards or b) the ones who have played it for a week in a different language. You can decide for yourself if it lived up to your dreams or not when you play it for yourself, because after all of this hype, we all know we're going to buy it anyway.

nec9

Smash Rookie
Like what was said in Mooks post...you can't compare brawl to melee. Melee was melee and brawl is brawl. People need to step outside of their melee boxes and just take this game in as if they had never played any smash bros. before.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Basically...

Someone posted there review and gave it a 6 out of 10

Now theres no proof that said person had or hadn't played brawl. But loads of gamefaqers started going Diddy Kong poo about it and wanted it taken down.

However, this drove people to post more reviews, most of them probably never even playing brawl. Positive and negative ons sprang up and mods posted a big sticky about it.

Gamefaqs = craziest board i know.

WR3K

Smash Ace
every game has reviews and players saying negative things about it. every game.

even every great game throug history lile OoT, MGS's, Half Life 2... and even melee, ALL have ppl neysaying about the game

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Brawl was destined to get bad reviews. It goes that some people just don't like Smash Bros. Some people just didn't like Melee. Melee's reviews were really good, but the average is below 90%. I don't think Brawl will do much better, being completely honest. I don't care, neither should you, because those reviewing it are not the Smash Bros fanbase, and they don't realise Brawl will be one of the most played games in this entire gen.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
@staindgrey:

I guess you guys are right that people are just upset about nothing, but still it annoys the hell out of me for some reason when people go out giving great games poor reviews.

@SuperLink9:

Actually you are wrong about that, average rating based on 20+ reviews on gamerankings is 90% exactly and on metacritics 92%

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Ah, well there you go ;)

Personally then, I don't think Brawl will beat Melee. If it does it will certainly be a pleasant surprise :p

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I wouldn't take many non-critic (and even then I don't trust most critics) reviews to heart. For starters anyone who complains about anything in competitive terms of Brawl is improperly criticizing. Whether or not a game is good isn't based on it's ability to maintain a competitive fanbase. That is a completely separate aspect of the game and can never affect the quality. It can affect the game's appeal to a given player, but not how good it is. Brawl IS a better game than Melee. Now, whether or not it has the same competitive appeal is a whole different story.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
The game was slowed down so that new players could have an easier time against veterans. Wavedashing was taken out because it would make online lag a bunch and Brawl's content completely surpasses melee. (Don't get me started on that.) BYE
What is with this new "wavedashing causes lag" rumor? It's a complete, flat-out lie. Don't go spreading this as fact when you have no clue as to what causes lag.

Seriously, I've never seen a competitive player spouting such mindless lies to support his opinion. I hate this scrub invasion.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
People are just being babies initially. They don't get what they expect so they get angry without realizing that it is great. They give **** reviews before getting in enough play time and realizing it is better than Melee.

shellblade

Smash Cadet
What is with this new "wavedashing causes lag" rumor? It's a complete, flat-out lie. Don't go spreading this as fact when you have no clue as to what causes lag.

Seriously, I've never seen a competitive player spouting such mindless lies to support his opinion. I hate this scrub invasion.

Well certain moderators have stated it to be fact but whatever, they're not always right. What do you mean by scrub invasion?

gamer8

Smash Lord
Advance Techinques = drugs. See what it does to those idiotic reviewers, they give brawl a bad score because wavedashing is out.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
i\'m read both good and bad reviews in regards to the bad reviews once those people get used to it they\'ll change their tune.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Online lag. Besides, you need to pull off the button combos extremely accurately (hundredths of a second) so even if it was still in you wouldn't be able to do it online most likely.
It still has nothing to do with lag, and yes you would be able to pull it off.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
Advance Techinques = drugs. See what it does to those idiotic reviewers, they give brawl a bad score because wavedashing is out.
Actually, most of the people giving the game negative reviews are the ******* who think Brawl plays exactly like Melee.

Top Bottom