• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's up with all the crouching?

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I'm not talking about teabagging or crouching as a means of taunting.

I'm talking about incessantly crouching at the start of a 1v1 For Glory match. Or someone running away and crouching a bunch after I get an early kill or I've got a pretty good lead. Or crouching after the croucher has SDed.

What are these people trying to communicate? Are the ones who crouch after they SD asking me to do the same and even things out? Because they could just SD one more time and start over if what they really want is a reset.

If they really want to communicate with their partner, why not find an online matchmaking thing instead of using For Glory? Anyone have any insight? What do YOU try to communicate through crouching?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nothing. Crouching a bunch of times for no reason amuses me.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I myself don't often crouch unless I'm either someone whose profile is greatly lowered when crouching (ex. :4kirby:, :4wiifit:, :4gaw:, :4alph:, :4jigglypuff:), or someone who can actually crawl around (ex. :4duckhunt:, :4pacman:, :4bowser:, :4lucario:, :4wario2:).

If I've taken a stock off of someone in a 1v1 setting or even cleared out an entire room in either FG Teams or even FG FFA, I will likely be crouching at one of the edges of the stage (especially if I'm able to crawl with whoever I may be when that happens), so that 1. I run out the respawn invincibility time as much as possible, and 2. It improves my ability to dodge/handle the blow of whatever attack you may try to bring out. No hidden meanings here, just a practical gameplay tactic to extend my stock lead and/or advantageous position with.

I probably should crouch more often, since apparently here in Sm4sh, from what I've heard & read, being in a crouching position reduces the amount of damage & knockback you receive from attacks, which is actually the complete opposite of Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, where if you're hit while crouching, you get damaged more than if you were standing, which made overheads (both aerial and even standing) quite powerful and excessive crouching risky. Years of serious 3S play has forged this habit within me. Maybe playing some Street Fighter Alpha 2 where the (Alex) Valle CC (Custom Combo) made standing dangerous can help with that... Perhaps focusing on lowering my profile with crouching when folks are trying to headshot my :4ludwig: would help too...

I've made 2 topics in 2 character boards about crouching under 2 moves: Thoron & Hadoukens.

Speaking of Thoron, if I'm someone like :4duckhunt: and I see that Thoron's on deck, I WILL focus on crouching, crawling, and even DTilt-ing & DSmash-ing (especially with DH!), so that moments like these can happen:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Well, I crouch as Kirby at the beginning/middle/end of matches because it's fun and he makes a cute noise and it's adorable.

It's also something the CPU does on it's own frequently so maybe people just picked it up as something to do?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I find it kinda cringy when people crouch to look edgy. They'll do it with characters like Marth or Lucas; characters that look straight at you when crouching.
I don't know whether they think it looks cool or they want to be in character, but they'll do it when it offers no tactical advantage whatsoever.
I've seen C. Falcon's hold down so that they can do a Falcon Kick at any given moment, but these guys will crouch when I die. Like they KO me, run to the other end, crouch, and await my return and once I do, they start moving again.
These same people tend to taunt before te start of a match, again giving me this vibe that they're so in character, that their Marth is garunteed to beat me. Ironically, I've yet to lose to one of these crouchers. They must be kids who are way too into the game.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
It's very useful to note though as Splashy mentioned, Kirby and other lower characters gain a lot, especially Kirby (tons of moves miss him) by crouching.
Maybe those types are just practicing or keeping momentum up.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
It's very useful to note though as Splashy mentioned, Kirby and other lower characters gain a lot, especially Kirby (tons of moves miss him) by crouching.
Maybe those types are just practicing or keeping momentum up.
Maybe.
I'd be more convinced if they crouched throughout the match rather than just when I was far away.
Because I have seen it used strategically, like I said.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Just like "Tea-Bagging" in a disrespectful manner people also use it to "Bow" in a respectful manner from my understanding.

From what you stated that is most likely what they're doing. Bowing at the start of the match is similar to a Taunt Greeting, and instead of taunting after a KO to say "That was nice!" they may resort to doing that instead to show you some sort of respect. Sometimes I get those players in For Glory, sometimes I don't. It doesn't bother me cause normally these people end up being extremely fun, respectful opponents so if they wish to do so I'll return the favor and do it back on occasions.

Doesn't matter to me what they do as long as we're both having fun after all. I still find it as silly as Tea-Bagging though.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
It really depends. I, personally do it because I find the animation to be funny (I did this on a Online Tournament too, so it's not only on FG), and as bowing to the opponent. Double Kirbies? Crouching gallore! Sometimes, people do it after KO'ing (I don't get too bothered by it), as a method of Tea-bagging, so it can be done to annoy somebody too.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I'm not talking about teabagging or crouching as a means of taunting.
Yeah, I'm more talking about people who crouch repeatedly in rapid succession than just plain crouching.

...that's EXACTLY what teabagging is.
Repeatedly ducking/crouching in rapid succession is pretty much what we call "teabagging", a form of taunting.

They (probably) do this because if they are in the lead, they are trying to taunt you into approaching them. (now that they are in the lead, and if the time's over, they win)

edit: I like to do this with :4bowserjr: because i love the animation. Better than any of his actual taunts.

Last edited:

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I know that's what teabagging is. That's why my examples were specifically about times when the person isn't in the lead/just did something dumb. I'm specifically talking about rapid crouching that doesn't APPEAR to be teabagging but instead some other form of attempted communication.

If they're in the lead, duh, they're teabagging.

... Not to mention that teabagging the ground in Smash (as opposed to the opponent's face in FPS games) is hardly teabagging at all.

Last edited:

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
I do this with Kirby when I clearly made a mistake or when the other made an obvious mistake. Kirby looks embarrassed in that situation. If the other SD or made a mistake, you basically aknowledge that instead of claiming the kill and tounting/dancing like a ******** monkey.

smashgod75

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3222-6378-9953
I do that when i wanna say hi or when someone SD it's a way to say too bad

toonlucas

Smash Rookie
When I crouch it's usually in the beginning of the match to see if they do it as well for personal amusement and to make sure the match is light hearted and not super serious. Il do it if I SD to signify I suck.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Nothing. Crouching a bunch of times for no reason amuses me.
Well, I crouch as Kirby at the beginning/middle/end of matches because it's fun and he makes a cute noise and it's adorable.

It's also something the CPU does on it's own frequently so maybe people just picked it up as something to do?
My fellow Villager bros get me.

I also might do it with kirby and jiggs if you manage to body me, cuz when they crouch they kinda look like they feel threatened haha.

Last edited:

guymane

Smash Rookie
I do it to test lag.
Other people use it for teabagging and stuff like that
That and its fun to do.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't crouch or teabag in any way whatsoever. I don't see the point in doing that myself.

zapfish

Smash Rookie
NNID
zapfish
I do it for lag testing usually, that's the only time I'll "spam". I don't crouch spam mid match though, but sometimes I'll do a long crouch at the edge if I think how I or my opponent died was funny (so either in shame or to taunt them).

Typically if someone SDs and then immediately goes to the edge and crouch spams even though they're behind, they're mad about their fall and are trying to communicate frustration OR they're trying to get you to forfeit a stock ("come over here and fall off!") because that's apparently what's fair in their mind. Don't oblige obviously, but that's usually what I see it as.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
I usually crouch as mega man at the start if I see a fox or falco. most of the time it starts with PEW PEW

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I've had people use it for lag testing, bowing, taunting (in a 'come at me bro' way more than teabagging. Hard to teabag when there is no body.) and even to keep their momentum going with their hands. (Some fighters have stated that constant movement to a rhythm helps them keep going, so I can see this applying to Smash. Breaking said rhythm is how you can steal the player's neutral and get under their skin, much like the characters in the game)

Top Bottom