• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's this technique called?

Danieru

Smash Rookie
What's this technique called? As Marth, I did a sort of Reverse-reverse side-B, demonstrated in this video: http://youtu.be/rJ1yZ9CrQOc . Is this of any use in a battle, or in competetive? has this already got a name?

TOCK

Smash Apprentice
Technically I believe it is just a wavebounce. It just kind of looks cool Because the way marths side-b carries the momentum.
Wavebouncing has a lot of practical use. Although I can't think of any for this particular one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Wix_KsK5g

Danieru

Smash Rookie
It doesn't feel like the same thing, but I may very well be wrong. I was thinking, can't this tech be used to deal damage whilst also escaping damage in competetive play?

Also, the controller inputs are Jump, Forward, Back+Forward-B or something like that.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
It doesn't feel like the same thing, but I may very well be wrong. I was thinking, can't this tech be used to deal damage whilst also escaping damage in competetive play?

Also, the controller inputs are Jump, Forward, Back+Forward-B or something like that.
It may appear differently across different characters, but those are the inputs for Wavebouncing. You're right; the biggest utility most characters with a good wavebounce have is to use the special move while maintaining spacing (approaching/retreating). Not sure how far Marth's side-B goes, but that's what I'd assume you'd use it for if you wanted to, however short of a distance you can get out of it. I'm sure it's at least useful as a bait/mixup aha.

Danieru

Smash Rookie
Hmm alright. Thanks for all the information :) I was hoping that I had made a discovery xD. Wishfull thinking.

lain

Smash Master
It's not useful for anything really. The only thing would be when you're knocked up into the air and trying to come down to the ground, and your opponent is waiting to catch your landing. This changes your momentum to a different one and will mix it up OMG I'M ACTUALLY GONNA USE THIS.

Only really applicable to mid-level and up play, IMO since anything below that people are typically not going to be trying to catch your landings with utmost precision and such.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
It's not useful for anything really. The only thing would be when you're knocked up into the air and trying to come down to the ground, and your opponent is waiting to catch your landing. This changes your momentum to a different one and will mix it up OMG I'M ACTUALLY GONNA USE THIS.

Only really applicable to mid-level and up play, IMO since anything below that people are typically not going to be trying to catch your landings with utmost precision and such.
That's not completely true; it's godly for spacing/baiting/poking in the neutral. Top players of some characters - especially those with more horizontal aerial momentum - make use of it regularly and effectively...but given that most of the PM community draws origin from Melee, it's not surprising that a major Brawl tech goes relatively unheard of. Think of it as just one more movement/spacing option that's not completely necessary to reach top level play with most characters (e.g. moonwalk, pivots). But at the end of the day, it never hurts to have more options~

Last edited:

Danieru

Smash Rookie

If we're still talking about Marth, you can just use his regular Side-B to change up the momentum, and there is no need for wavebouncing in this.

lain

Smash Master
Yes but the regular sideB won't change your momentum the way you want it to by doing a regular one. If you're falling left and facing right, the sideB will only pop you up a little bit and you will continue to fall the same way. A b reverse will make you start falling right!

Kuya the Red

Smash Cadet
I like to consider it wave dashing in air. Not as useful, but still has SOME use. Much like Lucas' Running jump side B into Down B.

Top Bottom