• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the smallest change to a character that would make them useless/underpowered?

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Luma doesn't respawn until Rosalina loses a stock.

Lucario no longer has his Aura mechanic, assuming his base damage isn't buffed to make up for the loss.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Zelda's phantom knight is controllable similar to an actual character with a few second time limit.

Little mac's specials dont get distance nerfs in the air(Also, any of the changes most people suggest for Little Mac to make him more "balanced" would make him completely useless)

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Luma doesn't respawn until Rosalina loses a stock.

Lucario no longer has his Aura mechanic, assuming his base damage isn't buffed to make up for the loss.
Base damage is 75%. You just made Lucario better...

Zelda's phantom knight is controllable similar to an actual character with a few second time limit.

Little mac's specials dont get distance nerfs in the air(Also, any of the changes most people suggest for Little Mac to make him more "balanced" would make him completely useless)

Uh... it's to make a character useless, not better. And even if you were in the overpowered thread, those wouldn't make the characters OP, it would give them a reason to be used.

Anyways, not changing Mii Swordsman.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Base damage is 75%. You just made Lucario better...

Uh... it's to make a character useless, not better. And even if you were in the overpowered thread, those wouldn't make the characters OP, it would give them a reason to be used.

Anyways, not changing Mii Swordsman.
Lolwoops. Misread read the title as "Useless/Overpowered" In that case I'll change my answers to:

Zelda's teleport doesn't deal damage

Captain Falcon can't taunt

KatKit

Smash Lord
No tipper for Marth.

Less knockback on Farore's wind. Or harder sweetspot for her Bair. Or less knockback for throws. Or a 2% damage nerf on any one of her aerials. Actually, I can think of quite a bit for Zelda lol. Minor stuff can really screw her over.

Kirby's crouch no longer evades projectiles/attacks.

Sun Salutation damage nerf.

Tree takes longer to plant/grow.

No float for Peach. Or her turnips act like the heavy turnip custom, minus the damage buff.

Gordo toss is changed to Waddle Dee toss.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
:4diddy: - D-Throw and U-Air are both trash now.
:4jigglypuff: - Rest is now like Brawl's Rest.
:4littlemac: - Recovery gets nerfed (again) / remove super armor.
:4shulk: - No more Monado Arts.
:4dedede: - Gordo Toss is replaced with what it was in Brawl.

You can honestly just change a majority of characters to their Brawl version to make them much more worse or much more better. Brawl was a weird game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It wouldn't make her useless, but Rosalina, as she is now, would not be amazing without Luma. She'd be mid-tier (since she can hold out pretty well and still has solid options), and wouldn't be the most fun character in the game for me since Luma is part of the fun.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Diddy Kong's Down-throw hits opponents sideways. (HA.)
R.O.B.'s Gyro now has a 30-second recharge period.
Robin can only use Arcfire three times before the tome breaks.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Mega Man's buster attacks are now treated as single moves that always work the same.

Meaning, his jab alwas does three shots and have him stuck in place, you can no longer move forward or jump in the middle of the jab.

His ftilt, again, always does three shots, and it keeps walking until all three shots are compled, again, he can't jump out of it.

His nair also does the three shots, and now has regular landing lag like any other aerial.

KatKit

Smash Lord
@sonicbrawler: You'd think she'd still be mid tier after that?! I know she can hold her own pretty well, but I can't fathom entire matches without Luma. O_o

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@sonicbrawler: You'd think she'd still be mid tier after that?! I know she can hold her own pretty well, but I can't fathom entire matches without Luma. O_o
I've done entire matches more or less without Luma for the majority of it, and have still won.

She is still pretty strong and has a great air game without Luma's help, not to mention that Down Smash is great for denying rolls even without Luma. Her D-air and F-air spikes are also a lot easier to land when Luma isn't beside you.

She's undeniably be worse without Luma, but far from terrible. A solid puppet needs a solid puppet master.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Shorter sword for Marth.

Diddy's banana can't be picked up by himself.

Robin's tomes/sword don't recharge until he dies.

TheVoc

Smash Rookie
I think it'd be fun if Villager's tree held true to the Animal Crossing games and took a day to grow.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Nerf:

Can trip on own banana, and when Diddy trips on it he breaks his leg and must limp for the rest of the game.
Enemies eat peanuts.
If Diddy flips too much then he throws up.
And lastly, his Down Throw just places the opponent on the ground and Diddy kisses him. (Doing 2%!)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll do one for each of my mains

Kirby: Replace stone with sleep
Rosalina: Luma doesn't respawn
R.O.B.: Moving uses up power making R.O.B. slower and weaker
Mr. Game & Watch: remove the 9 hammer and falls flat down by sideway swings
Greninja: Fighting type moves become super effective

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I'll do one for each of my mains

Kirby: Replace stone with sleep
Rosalina: Luma doesn't respawn
R.O.B.: Moving uses up power making R.O.B. slower and weaker
Mr. Game & Watch: remove the 9 hammer and falls flat down by sideway swings
Greninja: Fighting type moves become super effective
1. Sakurai: Let's make it heal him for 50% a second!:troll:
2. Let's make Luma literally immortal!:troll:
3. Sakurai: LEt's give him infinite recovery, and make the minimum cap at 99% speed and power!:troll:
4. Sakurai: Now all numbers OHKO!:troll:
5: Sakurai: Ok. Now Ike's Close Combat does 10% more damage, and he is now immune to any move involving any degree of psychic power.:troll:

Not meaning to be critical, just funny.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
:4jigglypuff:Gets her midair jumps from 64 back.
:4yoshi:No super armor on double jump.
:4samus:Charge Shot can't be stored.
:4duckhunt:The player needs an actual NES Zapper for his neutral special, side special, and smash attacks to work (lol)

Spirst

Greninja, Lucario, Lucina, Marth, Ike, Shulk, and Little Mac don't have Counters.
That would probably be more of a buff/remain neutral depending on what he has instead. His counter is the worst in the game as is and is seldom used much.

My contribution: If DH could only have one projectile on the field at once.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Lucario: Its counter leaves it in a helpless state until it lands.

Zero Suit Samus: Any action she changes to will have a random chance of instead stopping briefly to wonder what Adam would think of her participating in this battle.

Ness: He gets a cellphone taunt that you must do to keep Ness from being homesick and unable to attack.

Top Bottom