• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the name of this technique and how is it done

JFoldum

Smash Cadet
Its like a smash attack that doesn't send your opponent flying. I used it while fighting but it was always on accident anybody know what it's called and how to use it. I cant post links yet because im new but you can look at Ike's Turbo Tuesday he uses it around 0.26

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Sheik Fsmash

EDIT: You might be referring to how Marth techs on the ledge every time Ike hits him with Dsmash.

Last edited:

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I feel like your just referring to ikes tilts or something i might just be being braindead ill go watch that video and see what your talking about

Last edited:

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Without seeing videos, it's hard to know for sure, but it sounds like you either hit with a sourspot or the opponent DI'd into the ground and teched the attack. Which character were you using? That would help a little.

JFoldum

Smash Cadet
I used Ike go look at his Turbo Tuesday video they do it constantly in a combo.
I also did it with sonic.

Last edited:

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
In terms of the turbo video, it didn't look like marth ledge teched. It looked like Ike followed his DSmash1 with a jab then he could follow up with DSmash again. were you playing turbo? if not, the opponent could've CCed.

JFoldum

Smash Cadet
Yeah i was in turbo i do most of my playing in that mode now trying to make combos. And i know sonic can do something similar with his fsmash punch.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
I doubt you can combo out of Sonic's fsmash. It could instead be used as a finisher. When Ike used his dsmash in the video, it rings the opponent inward. Marth was also just off the ledge, so in terms of trajectory, it brought Marth to the perfect place to get jabbed and for Ike to repeat it over and over. Dat KB stacking son

JFoldum

Smash Cadet
I have done it with sonic before no ledge no Quick jab.When i do the punch the person i hit gets stunned and can't move They just sit there they still take damage but it doesn't send them flying. I have also seen it done with Mario's Fsmash.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I have a few explanations.

1. The multiple uses of this "technique" in that video are a result of clever video editing. Notice we don't the percents, and pay close attention to the camera movement.
2. Turbo Mode is glitchy as balls, nothing that can be done in that mode makes sense or matters at all.
3. If you cancel an FSmash into a lower KB move the knockback doesn't stack and you end up with the KB of the last move you used. You are probably inadvertently cancelling the move into something else, or it's an inconsistency that you are witnessing because Turbo Mode is stupid.

TL;DR
This isn't a "technique" and there is no name for it. And the use of Ike's DSmash in that video is either edited in post, or he is cancelling the downsmash into a walk and then immediately doing it again.

Jackie Chandler

Smash Cadet
Even if it was some sort of undiscovered advanced technique, the likelihood of it being something exploitable is negligible. If the game's been out this long and people haven't figured out how to utilize something like that, especially with TAS capabilities, I sincerely doubt it has a place in competitive play.

JFoldum

Smash Cadet
I mean of course not but its still nice to know how to do it i didnt even know turbo mode was competitive.

Top Bottom