• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the Most Wierd Tournament You Have Ever participated in?

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
I went to this anime convention 2 weekends ago with my friends down near Valley Forge and I heard of Smash Tournament. Now I didn't go there for the tournament, I went there to have a good time with my friends, play some smash, see a lot of costumes and be there for the anime. The smash tournament was free to enter, at a anime convention....so you can expect that there is going to be a good amount of people. I was pleased to see 40 people entered so there would be a good and long tournament.

Ok, so I wasn't expecting this to be MLG rules, but somewhere near it, like..3-5 stock, single or double elim, best out of 1 or 3. It turned out to be the best tournament I have ever participated in EVER.

Rules for Anime Tournament :
- 3 Stock
- 1st Round : 4 man melee / All Stages on Random / Bottom 3 are Eliminated (Yup, bottom 3)
- I had to get the crowd chanting NO ITEMS!! to make them take off items.
- I heard that last year this tournament banned WaveDashing....haha wrap your minds around that one
- ANY Cheap Tactics are Banned - Wtf?? The tournament director which knew nothing about the tournament he was running would watch the match and say if something was cheap. Like...when I did the ken combo to this mario player he said if I did it again he would ban me.

So going into the tournament i was....displeased but very optimistic. Used Jiggly for my first 4 man melee and used the Edge as my home and just kept there until I could single people out, I was just lookin for a safe tactic. We luckily randomed battlefield, so I won my 4 man melee.

Rules for second Round of Play:
- 3 Stock
- All Random Stages
- Time Limit : 3:00 minutes - LoL

I used Ice Climbers on Green Greens, Falcon on Flatzone, Jiggly on Planet Zebes, and Jiggly on 4 Side. All of which were best out of 1, you lose you lose.

I won and got a good applause out of the crowd and then received my 20 dollar gift card to Gamestop. Yup, it pays to play smash guys.

This was without a doubt the best Tournament I have ever participated in.

Bailey

Smash Hero
lol.

I remember old school ToyWiz Bi-Weekly's were we got about 40 people everytime all bad as hell. All stages random items on low. So gay but so fun. I wish I was good back then....

ThatGuy

Smash Master
No Mercy vs. The World, A Montreal Tournament December 29th, 2005.

It was at the end of December, and being up here in Canada, it was FREEZING. It was also my very first Smash Tournament I was going to. I had to travel about an hour and a half with my buddy on public transportation to get to it. Upon arrival at the venue...it was not actually a venue, it looked like...a hair salon. I was confused, but I saw a sign that said the tournament was relocated down the street. Convenient last-minute changes...

I walked down the street towards where I spotted a group of people holding televisions and talking about how fast Fox McCloud is with the shine. I had no clue what these kids were talking about but I figured they were there for the tournament.

I went to the entranceway where I was greeted warmly by the tournament organizer. "Hey, so who are you?" he said. I replied "I'm...ThatGuy." Confused, he asked "What guy?" I knew I was getting no-where, so I decided to declare the suburb I came from, hoping he would figure things out. "I'm ThatGuy from Dorval." After a few moments of pondering, a strange look creeped onto his face. "Ohhhh.....the Dorval guy.....welcome."

I entered the building, which turned out to be an apartment building. The room happened to be a basement. Except, this was the most ghetto basement ever. It was straight from a crackhouse movie set. The specs? Check these out:

-Cardboard walls ("Happy Birthday Emilie" was spray-painted in French on one of them)
-Dripping ceiling
-Single heating source that emitted a bright and omnipresent orange glow
-Very limited amount of space
-No bathroom (unless you count the outdoors...that poor old Buick...)
-Chairs? Hah! We played like REAL smashers did, by sitting on Bikes! And Tires! And a plastic covered sofa (for the finals, of course. They deserve luxury.)!

...and the best smashers Montreal could possibly congregate in one single location.

Everything that could have gone wrong did. During pre-tournament setup, my cube was knocked off a table and the reset button is now broken. Funny dialogue here: *CRASH* *I nudge my friend* "Heh, I sure hope that wasn't MY cube." *Close inspection* "****! That IS my cube!" My crew lost all 15 stocks to one player while he only lost 2. The singles bracket had to be reset because someone tripped over the power cord and shut off everything including the computer. Oddly enough, this was a boon and a curse for me, since I had lost my original winner's and loser's bracket matches so fast, I got the chance to try my luck again...and still failed to beat someone :(.

The best part was when my dad decided to pop by for a surprise visit. He made his way through the cardboard barrier that was the door and tapped my shoulder. Needless to say I'm not sure if this first impression of a smash tournament was the best he could have seen, what with all the cardboard and crowds and scary looking smashers around the room...and the guy always suiciding with his Fox and screaming obscene words every time.

And do you want to know something funny? That was the BEST smash tournament I have ever participated in. The experience was just so amazing, the skill level was intense, the memories...I loved it. Even simple things like someone yelling "You gonna get ***** by That Guy!" when my name was called during the tourney attendance roll call was great. It doesn't matter how weird a tournament turns out to be, if you enjoy it then that's all that matters.

Top Bottom