• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the hypest character to watch?

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would say Ganondorf, because if they know what they're doing, it's very fun to watch.

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
:4lucina:: No one ever plays her. Please we need reps
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: I love watching and playing against good WFTs because I don't know what to expect tbh
:4megaman:: That recent showing at Pound and that down b jab lock was hype asf
:4marth:: Its fun to watch Marth players (Pugwest mainly) patiently and steadily beat opponent.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
:4charizard: ok I admit bias, as this is a more personal answer, but when someone pulls out a charizard things are guaranteed to get hype. There are no major Charizard users, so nobody knows what he can do. Even when I play Zard and do things that are fundamental to Zard play, such as U-throws on a high platform, flare blitz snapping to ledge, or armoring through stuff with rock smash, people get really hyped, because they never see these things. But when a really good Zard main plays he can do some amazing things, like jab locking with a jump cancel reverse U-smash, or jab cancel into a variety of mix-ups, or hard punishing after reading just one airdodge, or footstool into rock smash combos! Those things get me so hyped!

:4falcon: I find falcon more hype than Ganon because of the faster pace of the match, and convoluted off stage play using wall jumps and up-Bs to extend the time they can fight in the air, until someone gets stomped. Also the occasional knee or falcon punch to take a stock are so hype.

:4greninja: I always loved to watch Greninja, but it wasn't until iStudying blew everyone away at BEAST that I really took an interest in the guy. Greninja has such a unique moveset, and can spike or jab lock in the most hype of ways. I think of Greninja as a more hype Pikachu, and Pikachu play is already pretty hype, especially with those edgeguards with Thunder, but Greninja is just a super fun, hype character to play and watch.

:4pacman: I miss Abadango's Pac. He is doing extremely well with Mewtwo now, so that's cool too, but Pac was just so interesting to watch! I love the pressure that Pac can apply when you've got a fire hydrant, spaceship, and lots of Fairs flying towards you, I love the tricks you can pull off with the various fruits, especially with Z-dropping and throwing them into the hydrant, I love the janky things that can happen when the hydrant pushes you, and I love the risk Pac has to take to grab someone. Pac is so friggin cool!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4diddy:

****ing poetry in motion. Especially if it's ZeRo or Zinoto.

:4dedede:

Hell of a treat to watch at high level, especially when they use Gordo to properly extend combos or frame trap!

:4mewtwo:

No Mewtwo is the same. Mew² plays him more aggressively, Blue plays a mix of defense and capitalizing on openings, Rich Brown is reactionary based and Aba is very calculated and patient.

:4sheik:

Don't care if y'all give me **** for this. Sheik is soooo much fun to watch, especially since she's become a far more honest character. Seeing Sheik mains who've optimized her neutral and her kill setups are impressive on display.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
:4palutena: I have bias too but I always get excited to hear someone try her out in a match and actually do amazing with her (but I also get super salty when she doesn't win.)

:4greninja: iStudying has made me fall in love with this frog and any other Greninja I typically see in the competitive scene has yet to make me turn away from the match with awe.

:4ryu: Ryu is a character who even though I will never figure out how to properly use him I will never stop being amazed (and even sometimes jealous) at how good Ryu players make him. It really makes me want to learn the character, but I fail every time I attempt.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Basically any mid to low tier character for me. Seeing characters that are considered meh or bad in competitive doing incredible, especially against a high or top tier, are always a sight to behold.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
We've had plenty of threads like this before, I think, but they're always fun to read.

A good :4mario:like Anti or Ally or a good :4lucina:like anybody that is not called CherubiKnight gets me extremely hyped. I was legit jumping from my chair out of excitement while watching Ally play on Pound.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Honestly, it all depends on the situation. EVERY character except :4sheik: can get hype for me.

:4kirby::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4megaman::4greninja::4mewtwo::4duckhunt::4gaw::4dedede::4lucas:(And possibly:4yoshi::4bowserjr:) are the hypest out of all of them though for me. Greninja surprises me since I hate using him, and he's the only character I hate that has the "hypest" category.

Litertatly ANYTHING can get hyped though. I think out of the all the hype and major upset matches that I watched on stream, the once that got me hyped most were

1:Kid Goggles (:4kirby:) vs. Mr. R (:4sheik:)

2:ZeRo (:4sheik::4diddy:) vs. Seagull Joe (:4sonic:)

3:Nairo (:4zss:) vs. Hyuga (:4tlink:)

Out of all of those three sets, only one of the characters stated was in my "most hypest" category.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Villager obviously.

I don't know about hypest, but Mewtwo is hella hype now that he's not garbage anymore. His spike and Disable are just made for hype.
Jigglypuff can be hype in a way, because nobody knows what the hell to do about her.
Sheik is hype because everyone loves to watch forward air to forward air to forward air to Bouncing Fish for minutes on end.
I actually find Ike to be incredibly hype. The **** he can do when you know how to play him is ridiculous. There's no such thing as a boring match with Ryo in it.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
:4metaknight:: I'm biased, sue me :p. Death combos were always kinda hype to me the fact they're less common now makes it even more of a treat.
:4greninja:: Very technical character when the player's on point he's definitely a sight to behold. iStudying is great.
:4zss:: Kinda player dependent, I only really watch Nairo and Marss' ZSS, but her strong punish game is fun to see.
:4ryu:: Combo machine, when he gets rolling.
:4samus:: Cause Samus. I dunno I just really like Samus. Charge Shot kills are cool.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I would probably have to say :4mewtwo: and:4ryu:. With Ryu, there's just so much you can do with this guy. That ditto between Trela VS False; I can't even describe how much hype there was. Mewtwo's also a friggin beast in this game, so I'm always fond where Mew^2 or Abadango prove themselves up in the big league. I'm trying to learn :4luigi: in this too, so I gotta follow Mr. Concon and some other good players that main him. Mr. E and Pugwest are supposedly good with Marth too. I should check them out later...

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
lol I thought I was just biased towards Ryu because I main him, I guess you guys like him as well.

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
Honestly after playing for so long and seeing so many matches not too many characters are interesting to watch. :4miibrawl::4wario2::4zelda::4drmario: are probably the only ones, but nobody plays any of them.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Some personal Bias here but eh, we all have it.

Link: Ok I admit I'm a Link player but if anyone has ever seen, or felt, a link get going with a proper wall things can get hype real quick, especially when the finisher is a freaking bombslide to spike.

Greninja: Once more I play the frog and I just love watching even the high tiers get bodied by what was once in the running for one of the worst characters in smash.

Gannondorf: Also known in my scene and the salt minner the dorf just does things that both scare the living crap out of beople and induce enough salt to supply Mc' Donalds for months.

Cap'n Falcon: This is more of a personal one as well but I have a major rivalry with a Falcon player and we used to just get so freaking hype early on especially since we always brought it to the wire and ended each stock the right way, with as much insanity and jank as we could.

The Butt Rumbler

Smash Rookie
:4samus: I'm fairly biased on this, but given the fact that Samus is a low-tier (maybe mid-tier now? Idk where people place her after the buffs) that doesn't see too much tournament play, watching her do flashy combos/strings along with bomb setups for shield breaks or guaranteed charge shot kills is hype to me.

:4pacman: aside from watching Abandango play him, there's a Pac in my state that does nasty work against other people, and watching them do Bell setups or utilizing hydrant for an insane combo generates a bunch of hype. Any Pac that utilizes their projectiles in wacky ways (like the various z-drop combos he has) for high % combos gets me going.

:4ryu: Ryu being as technical as he is, it's always awe-inspiring to me to see him played to the degree that his kit is fully utilized and used in ways that are almost unreal. It's a pretty nice treat to see in action.

These three are the ones I find to be the most hype. Of course, everyone gets hyped when an underdog is competing against a big name and doing well, but these characters seem to get the most hype when played well from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Of course, :4falcon: is always exciting. He seems to be made for hype, with his falcon punch and glorious knee of justice.
I really enjoy :4yoshi: as well. Although, I have to admit that I haven't been watching smash for the past few months. Is Yoshi still as fun to watch as he was about a year ago?

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
Dedede is the most fun to watch. His spikes are so slow that when a good player manages to pull one off, it's really impressive:
This is one of my favorite smash montages ever.

Edit:
Also this disrespect is just the absolute best.

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
:4mewtwo:: Abadango's performance at Pound 2016 was absolutely beautiful. I really hope more people start picking up Mewtwo.
:4sheik:: As long as they are not needle camping, Sheik is a very fun character to watch in my opinion. Her fast playstyle and combos are all very entertaining.
:4pikachu:: A little bit of bias, but Pikachu's gimping game leads to some early kills, which are always hype.

TK8305

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TK8305
Ganondorf and Jigs are my fav to watch! Gotta love and respect those Low Tiers. :3

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Might be Bias since he's one of my mains but :4falco:.

Seeing a Falco who actually knows what they're doing is soo damn hype. Falco isnt played as much anymore (or at all lately) because of how low he is on the tier list and it really bothers me since he can style someone so damn well. I remember playing a local tournament where I playing my Falco against a Diddy and the match was so hyped that when i turned around (Not while i was respawning i swear) I just saw a crowd of people standing behind us watching our match. I wouldn't say I'm the best Falco player but i would say that I can style really well with him and obviously the Diddy could too. He kept comboing me into his Banana to extend combos which got the crowd really hyped and I kept trying to land D-Air mixups and with every single hit you could hear everyone silently screaming "OOOH". This wasn't even a top 30 match but it honestly felt like I was in a top 8 match because of how hyped the set was.
I guess it also helps that alot of the people watching were his friends but w/e right?

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
:4ryu:Who needs drugs when you have tsrk

:4cloud:idk man he's just cool

:4bayonetta:The 0 to deaths just look cool, if you're bored of em by now you probably one of those types that watches streams all day.

Top Bottom