• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the good and bad stuff about each custom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I currently use a very unorthodox set of 2312/3. It's supposed to sacrifice projectile synergy, and in exchange constantly have volatile traps that are better on their own (I suck at multitasking, it lets me almost forget about them until i need them). I know the basic effects of each custom, but could someone tell me what's really good and bad about each custom a little more in depth than the game, not to know which are better, but to know what would fit my playstyle better?

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Sounds like you might prefer my set for the "stronger but less synergistic projectile game" mindset I submitted for the custom project.

http://smashboards.com/threads/subm...ustom-sets-of-duck-hunt.379612/#post-18052838

Personally, I don't see the use of high explosive shot. It's essentially a SLIGHTLY stronger hitting, MUCH less versatile yoshi egg toss. You can't pressure with it, can't combo, it provides none of the anti-rushdown or stage control duck hunt needs since.

Rising clay, how do you even see yourself hitting with that? What situations come up that make it better than default?

Default recovery is interesting. Lets you go deeper for some edgeguards and set the stage up with a can after getting knocked away, but super duck jump is more consistent. If you want to think less about stuff, SDJ is best.

Mega gunmen is nice against other projectile users, or generally slow characters... REALLY nice. But we usually win those anyway, and it doesn't help against rushdown :(

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Sounds like you might prefer my set for the "stronger but less synergistic projectile game" mindset I submitted for the custom project.

http://smashboards.com/threads/subm...ustom-sets-of-duck-hunt.379612/#post-18052838

Personally, I don't see the use of high explosive shot. It's essentially a SLIGHTLY stronger hitting, MUCH less versatile yoshi egg toss. You can't pressure with it, can't combo, it provides none of the anti-rushdown or stage control duck hunt needs since.

Rising clay, how do you even see yourself hitting with that? What situations come up that make it better than default?

Default recovery is interesting. Lets you go deeper for some edgeguards and set the stage up with a can after getting knocked away, but super duck jump is more consistent. If you want to think less about stuff, SDJ is best.

Mega gunmen is nice against other projectile users, or generally slow characters... REALLY nice. But we usually win those anyway, and it doesn't help against rushdown :(
Hold on, Rising Clay? Isn't Clay Break second? Or maybe i'm mistaken and posted the wrong thing. Also I think Quick Draw is good for dittos, and just quick damage.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hold on, Rising Clay? Isn't Clay Break second? Or maybe i'm mistaken and posted the wrong thing. Also I think Quick Draw is good for dittos, and just quick damage.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization

According the wiki at least rising is second.

Oh, forgot you put quick draw. Yea, it's good for dittos, though I dunno about quick damage. They shoot leave before you even finish your ending animation and due to that, if you miss, kind of easy to punish. Not real great for pressure or shield punishing. I do like it in matchups where it's hard to approach though, for easy can redirecting or punishing their endlag from afar (like rob)

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization

According the wiki at least rising is second.

Oh, forgot you put quick draw. Yea, it's good for dittos, though I dunno about quick damage. They shoot leave before you even finish your ending animation and due to that, if you miss, kind of easy to punish. Not real great for pressure or shield punishing. I do like it in matchups where it's hard to approach though, for easy can redirecting or punishing their endlag from afar (like rob)
Rising sucks. That was a spelling error. As for Quick Draw, I only use it for dittos anyways. Mega Gunman has succeeded in distracting EVERY human opponent I have faced ever with it. As in... 1.

Clay Brealkis harder to dodge, and because of my aforementioned complete and utter impossibility to multitask properly, i usually start looking where I am the moment i shoot. Which is where having 3DS is beneficial, because if i'm using my 52 inch HDTV when i get the Wii U version, i'd likely have to drop Duck Hunt from the impossibility of some situations for my skill level, and the fact that i get an hour a day of "electronics", meaning i can't train that much :( (Don't judge me for my age pls k thnx :joyful:)

Also, when i say i can't multitask, the best i can do is throw or hit someone into Clay Break with a 70% success rate, Mega Gunman with a 90% success rate, and High Explosive with a 60% success rate, and that's it. I try the staple Normal Clay -> Dash Atttack, but I can't even do that, they just shield it, or get sent flying before i reach them, and if i don't smash the clay they block it 100% of the time, even the noobs. It's going to take me a lot of training just to get the basics down, never mind actual effective strategies.

Also how is Zigzag better on it's own? It seems something meant for teams, being supported by other projectiles, yours or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom