• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the deal with the Moon Assist Trophy?

mikey661

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mikey661
3DS FC
5429-8052-2152
As shown in the nintendo direct earlier today, the Moon from Majoras Mask seems to be an assist trophy! A one-time hit, of course... but Skull Kid was not included in the assist trophy at all. Why?

Skull kid was clearly an assist trophy in Smash 4, and his ability wasn't the moon, but some sort of slowing ability (i dont remember exactly).

Now, back to the main topic of this thread, if they wanted to include the Moon as an assist trophy, why would they get rid of Skull Kid? From Majora's Mask, it's quite clear that Skull Kid's sole purpose in the game was to call down the Moon upon Termina. It would only make sense that if they really wanted to include the Moon as an assist trophy, then the only logical option is to have Skull Kid appear in smash ultimate to actually perform the ability, since the only assist trophy that Skull Kid should realistically appear in would be the one with the moon. That way, we have both the Moon AND Skull kid in smash ultimate!

But, what if something entirely different is true...?

I propose that if Sakurai really wanted to include "everyone", then excluding Skull Kid's appearance in Smash Ultimate when he was clearly an assist trophy in the previous game seems a little bit fishy. What if they included the Moon as an assist trophy, and purposefully excluded Skull Kid from it simply because they have plans to make Skull Kid a playable character, with a final smash that is not the Moon?

Thinking about it more, Legend of Zelda was one of nintendo's greatest hits recently due to Breath of the Wild... yet we still have NOT received a legend of zelda NEWCOMER.

In addition, the inclusion of King K. Rool and Simon Belmont clearly means that Sakurai has an eye on the CLASSIC games from the past when he creates these new characters in addition to fan favorites.

Of course this is speculation... because if he's not in the Moon assist trophy, then where could he possibly be!?

Lemme know what you guys think!

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
loz18 on gamefaqs said he heard info that Skull Kid may be playable. Take it with a grain of salt, but this is the same guy who said everyone was returning including Snake, Pichu, Pokemon Trainer before the E3 direct when nobody could have predicted that, and also confirmed Ridley and Simon before E3 too.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
You make a convincing point, I was just wondering what could possibly follow today's announcements. A lot of people have so far correctly deduced information based off of
-Who is missing from this final smash/image?
-Why haven't they shown us this thing yet?
And the two echo fighters were widely speculated over that. There's also the Waddle Dee camp (not a member) that thinks his omission from Dedede's FS is soft confirmation. I know when I saw Klaptrap I had a sigh of relief.
So yeah, you have a point! Two rounds of Assist Trophy culls and Skull Kid and Geno live.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Also keep in mind the Moon is also in the Majora's Mask Great Bay stage too from Melee which returned, so it's pretty funny if you use the Assist trophy in that level, and you see two moons in the background. So I guess they don't care about that redundancy?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeah, I also saw that and it made me wonder about Skull Kid or not. He's one of my predictions, because he's the most notable Zelda villain after Ganon, and has been wanted for a while. But I would've thought that the moon would be his Final Smash.

However, the Moon as a Final Smash with the way this game is handling them wouldn't work. It wouldn't be able to work like the Assist Trophy Moon, because that'd be way too powerful compared to most other Final Smashes. The Moon is supposed to wipe out the world, not just be a super move. So as a crazy Assist Trophy, it makes more sense, but not as a Final Smash.

Maybe Final Smash would be Majora's Incarnation/Wrath or something?

mikey661

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mikey661
3DS FC
5429-8052-2152
Yeah, I also saw that and it made me wonder about Skull Kid or not. He's one of my predictions, because he's the most notable Zelda villain after Ganon, and has been wanted for a while. But I would've thought that the moon would be his Final Smash.

However, the Moon as a Final Smash with the way this game is handling them wouldn't work. It wouldn't be able to work like the Assist Trophy Moon, because that'd be way too powerful compared to most other Final Smashes. The Moon is supposed to wipe out the world, not just be a super move. So as a crazy Assist Trophy, it makes more sense, but not as a Final Smash.

Maybe Final Smash would be Majora's Incarnation/Wrath or something?

True, but the final smash would have to be a one-time hit type thing, so maybe they could just incorporate wrath into a one-time flashy hit move

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Also keep in mind the Moon is also in the Majora's Mask Great Bay stage too from Melee which returned, so it's pretty funny if you use the Assist trophy in that level, and you see two moons in the background. So I guess they don't care about that redundancy?
The only thing funnier than redundancy is redundancy my friend. I embrace it, and also I embrace it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Reminds me of Hyrule Warriors, where the moon is used in Young Link's Focus attack, Skull Kid's super and the powered up hookshot attack as well as a cut scene in the story mode.. Pretty sure it was used by the Great Fairy too...

Top Bottom