• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's The Best Way To Practice Rosalina's Recovery?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No matter in which versions you playing, recommend you to turn of the tap jump function, that way you can train your button jump and it can also train your recoveries.

And most simply, go to training mode and try her recovery.

Last edited:

KirbyKillz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nihabz
No matter in which versions you playing, recommend you to turn of the tap jump function, that way you can train your button jump and it can also train your recoveries.

And most simply, go to training mode and try her recovery.
I have. Is their any kinds of stages I could make to help me improve on this?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I have. Is their any kinds of stages I could make to help me improve on this?
Hm... Guar Plains? Because it's stage has many platforms, and it's empty in the middle. So training your recovery on this stage might be the best. However, since there's Metal face on the Wii U version... you might need to train on the 3DS version.

Last edited:

KirbyKillz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nihabz
Hm... Guar Plains?
Another question how do you recover from the opposite direction she's facing. Every time I try I SD from sending myself in the wrong direction. I've tried using her star bits to turn her around but it ends up taking too much time.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Another question how do you recover from the opposite direction she's facing. Every time I try I SD from sending myself in the wrong direction. I've tried using her star bits to turn her around but it ends up taking too much time.
Now that really needs some practice, if you can turn your control stick to that direction quickly when doing her Up B, it will happen. That happens to almost everyone when using Rosalina for the first time.

Athrel

Smash Cadet
Wii fit studio omega is a good place to start practicing her recovery. Its wall makes it so that you have to pay more attention to aiming for the ledge because crashing into the wall doesn't slide you upwards IIRC. Her recovery is somewhat abstract to get the hang of, but the gist of it is that rotating the stick slightly backwards after inputting it will cause her to recover straight upwards whereas the more you rotate the stick forwards the more horizontal her recovery will become. To turn around the recovery, quickly rotate the stick all the way backwards immediately after inputting Up-B. After getting the hang of it in WFS try going to places like smashville and battlefield and recovering completely vertically while directly underneath their ledges. If you really want to you can eventually practice things like this.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've also been doing a lotta practicing with her recovery lately. Rotating the analog stick in the direction I want to face after inputting it while facing away from the stage is something I wanted to focus on the most. Been getting the hang of it to the point where I won't be sailing in the wrong direction towards the depths of hell.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Been maining Rosa for a couple weeks now. This is one big issue I have with her. I can tell it's going to take time to master...I've gotten a lot better but still have lots of work to do.

Rosa has such a weird recovery. I wonder why Sakurai decided to not just make Up B go straight vertical? Let you slant the direction from there after it's inputted, but have the default up B direction be straight vertical. It would be so much more intuitive. The way it is now just seems like an arbitrary way to make the character more difficult to play.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Easily my biggest problem with Rosa is that I SD way too much with my recovery, especially on some of my more off days. I'll keep this in mind.
It needs train and experience, you can actually get the hang of her recovery when you mastered her up B.

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
If your back is to the edge and you need a vertical recovery, but the input for reversing your UpB inherently makes Rosa launch in a more horizontal direction, causing you to miss the edge because you just fly into/against the stage, I've found it helpful to to B-reverse her UpB, then immediately let go of the controls.
What this essentially does is allow you to UpB in the opposite direction, but fly in the UpB's default trajectory, allowing for decent vertical height, and also allowing you to recover properly when you are deep offstage.
To rephrase that, say for example Rosa is facing leftward, is near the lower blastline, and wants to grab an edge above and behind her. If I were on the gamecube controller, I'd push the analog into the upper-right notch on the gamecube controller's 8-way gate (or into the "9" position if we're talking about numpad notation) and press B, then let go of the analog right after pressing B to do the UpB.
If I were on the gamepad, pro controller, 3ds, or some other controller with a circular gate, then I need to mentally gauge where that diagonal is, but the method is otherwise the same.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
If your back is to the edge and you need a vertical recovery, but the input for reversing your UpB inherently makes Rosa launch in a more horizontal direction, causing you to miss the edge because you just fly into/against the stage, I've found it helpful to to B-reverse her UpB, then immediately let go of the controls.
What this essentially does is allow you to UpB in the opposite direction, but fly in the UpB's default trajectory, allowing for decent vertical height, and also allowing you to recover properly when you are deep offstage.
To rephrase that, say for example Rosa is facing leftward, is near the lower blastline, and wants to grab an edge above and behind her. If I were on the gamecube controller, I'd push the analog into the upper-right notch on the gamecube controller's 8-way gate (or into the "9" position if we're talking about numpad notation) and press B, then let go of the analog right after pressing B to do the UpB.
If I were on the gamepad, pro controller, 3ds, or some other controller with a circular gate, then I need to mentally gauge where that diagonal is, but the method is otherwise the same.
EDIT: lol nvm I'm dumb

Last edited:

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
There shouldn't be any one stage that you practice on, i'd recommend practicing on every tournament legal stage from numerous positions off stage both facing towards and away from the stage. Just to clarify, Rosalina has 3 ways to angle her recover determined by where you have the control stick facing after the animation has started up, Straight up (holding backwards), slightly angled (not touching the stick), and more horizontally (holding forward). Common SD issues are from players inputing forward towards the stage and not quite reaching the ledge when they should have just let go of the stick and player's flying off away from the stage b/c they inputted the reverse input too early when wanting to do a straight vertical shot, so work on these situations the most.

DiggsLeehay

Smash Rookie
Man, I feel kind've useless here, because so much advice has been given. Maybe go into training mode?

TSmasher1000

Smash Rookie
Super weird thing that I noticed that people don't talk about, but Luma can attack while Rosalina is recovering. It's pretty useless though unless you're super good at spacing and timing it out (and even then it's pretty useless and can only possibly be used once in a surprise gimmick), but meh better n' nothing.

Top Bottom