• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

cb_marth

Smash Ace
okay...well first things first I agree with bornfidelity, it all depends on what you want to train with, if you want to work on wavedashing then just go to training mood and work on wavedashing. Now if you want to work on combo's on different characters then basically start out with lv.9's and fight them now fight 2 or 3 at a time to make it a challange once you get good with that put your handicape to 8 and continue on. that will help on your dodegeing skills.But if you want the best training, find people to play agenst, because thats where you gain the most experence the com does the same **** over and over you won't get anywhere fighting them over and over. Another good way is to watch other people such as Ken, Azen, Kizzu ect... watching them you learn alot of stuff!

Kode out.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
Random Idea: lvl 1s may not be bad for combos, they don't even try to escape, but anybody (or CPU level) will try to escape, so if you are a combo master, go Lvl 9s cuz they try to escape, and don't form bad habits cuz ypou'll be comboing them, plus they can help U get sum1 back in.

W_Star

Smash Apprentice
It depends. If I wanna practice techs and combos I go into training mode. Then I usually play against lvl 9 computers.

LightvsDark

Smash Rookie
grayfox said:
Best way=Go out and get someone to play. Second best, lvl1s in vs so you can use the C stick.
This is the best way because c-sticking is used by good players. you should incorperate c-sticking as much as possible. it is a good technique. besides, computers suck.

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
battling comps is good, but you only get better if you don't capitalize on their weaknesses. Don't let them walk into smashes, manipulate them into doing things. I have gotten comps to shl, lcancel, wd, ledge hop, ledgewall jump, etc. it takes practice and timing, but it can help you. And for everyone who says that battling comps makes you worse, sit down and shut up.

P.S. What up skylink!

CStick

Smash Lord
when I'm trying to get the basic feel and tech skill of a char i just **** lvl 1's , lvl 9's, or my brother who sucks

I know that comps and scrubs arent good practice, but they can help you get the basic feel of a match with that character (kinda like getting used to using your tech skill in a pressuring situation)

Zero34

Smash Lord
im not gonna even bother reading this whole thread, i got to page two and i think i can sum up what else this thread is about

DONT battle lv 9 computers. honestly, my friend beat 100 ganondorfs without losing any lives. wow. hmmmm...could he have abused the intelligence of the CPU?

just go against level 1s because they are better than training mode because those guys dont know how to recovery and it just gets annoying. infinite time, practice shuffling, l cancel, WD, SH, and whatever character specifics that you have

i used to play levels 9s and i thought that i was good and then i played my SISTER who never plays and she almost beat me...that is sad. 9s make you WORSE

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Yea, I think the levels 9's don't really make you good. A good way to train by yourself is to just play against maybe some 5's and practice, practice, practice until you learn more combos and how each character reacts to each of your attacks at different percentages.

Jim0

Smash Apprentice
In case all of you newbs were wondering,

This is why computers suck

It's just some vid I got from Kev on MSN..... Decided to add it here, since I see so many posts saying lvl 9's are hard O.o

YAEH SOO COPMUTRES SUKC CUZ TEHY LOSE TO TEH BOWSER!!!!!111111

crazymonkey

Smash Rookie
I think its best to start at one level 9 bowser because lets face it...he's just dumb. Then work your way to 2 then 3 then tray 2 marths then 2 falcos.

If thats not good enough, just try playing against 3 level 9s that you know you'll simply lose against and keep playing them till you come close to winning.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What you could try is fighting with a lower handicap. Works fine for me. ;D

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Lv1's only for me. I don't fight them, I just do it because training mode has no c stick. Still I hate how the lv1s are constantly stalking you. I wish they wandered about like they did in the old smash.

Skylink

Smash Lord
SonicZeroX said:
Lv1's only for me. I don't fight them, I just do it because training mode has no c stick. Still I hate how the lv1s are constantly stalking you. I wish they wandered about like they did in the old smash.
True, it's annoying when they do that. Every 3 seconds you have to smash them away, and you can only practace WDs or SHFFLing during the intervering time.:dizzy:

kila501

Smash Rookie
Well if your fox and you wanna learn how to do infinite combos start from 1/4 or 1/2 so its easy and faster and faster as you do so you get the hang of it.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
This has all been said, but holy **** guys, just sum it up!

1. For practicing teching, WD, etc. play a level one in melee mode.

2. For fun (every once in awhile) play 3 level 9's on a team against you. Don't get in a habit of doing this because your moves and combos will get too predictable, seeing as CPU's don't play mindgames etc.

3. Practice on levels that can be used in tourneys, and DON'T use any items.

4. This is the final one, yet the most helpful. Try as hard as you can to find someone to play in your area, it doesn't matter who it is, but you have to play a human otherwise you will never advance in certain areas. After all CPU's can't teach you everything.

Pan!k

Shadow Smasher

Smash Cadet
The way I practice is I figure out my best character then fight everyone on level 9 then figure out which characters are best or closest to beating yours then for a very short time be them learn their moves and strong points then you will have to practice with your character to make sure they can't beat you then you will be good.

Shadow Smasher
Like your own Shadow you won't
know until it's to late

Skylink

Smash Lord
Shadow Smasher said:
The way I practice is I figure out my best character then fight everyone on level 9 then figure out which characters are best or closest to beating yours then for a very short time be them learn their moves and strong points then you will have to practice with your character to make sure they can't beat you then you will be good.
Great Idea! You will eventually be able to specialize against eventually 10 stocking mindless, ********, AI systems. SURE, that'l help you beat regular people.

chansen

Smash Lord
linksbanana said:
i think you should train on a level 9 red falcow
falcow just sounds funny.

i play against mcbarb, seeing as how we have comparable skillz and we always have a fun time. everyone else i play gets too emotional.

REFUSEDx

Smash Apprentice
If your gonna play a computer try a level 5 or 6, then use handicaps. Practice pulling off combos, WD, Pulse walks, CC'ing, Dashing>CC>Smash, Chain throwing, seeing what percents your main moves can KO a charecter and all that jazz.

ZachSoup

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's been stated a million times before in this thread, but in all seriousness, the best way to practice alone is against a level one computer on infinite time (or in training mode). It's pointless to use any increased difficulty of the computer opponents as some benchmark of competence in your technical game when you're plan is to ultimately play humans. Training against high level computers will only make you better against high level computers, while training against level one computers (and in training mode) helps you work on your own technical skills, which prepares you for matches against humans.

Team Dark

Smash Rookie
3 Level 9 Fox's......then once youve beaten that with atleast 2 stock left,....3 level 9 of your same character against you, you know.....teams....them vs you...

ive done this, as a personal challenge.....it was hard but you get there

Skylink

Smash Lord
Team Dark said:
3 Level 9 Fox's......then once youve beaten that with atleast 2 stock left,....3 level 9 of your same character against you, you know.....teams....them vs you...

Alot of pple will say that you should fight 3 lvl 9s, but it doesn't teach you to play v1s, it sorta teaches you another game. It's even harder, too. I'd recomend training mode to lean the wavedashing, and since you won't need to roll you'l soon be wavedashing instead of rolling. It also good for learning SHFFLing.

Acromion

Smash Cadet
I personally believe that the best way one can practice by themselves would be to first have 1v1 against the comp and once you got that one on lock move on to 1v2, and finally 1v3. I also suggest trying out you try out playing classic mode (easier than the other two modes IMO) with 5 stocks to begin with than slowly decrease your stocks and once you can do it with 1 stock beef up the difficulty. That's how I started. ^_^

Acromion

Smash Cadet
Team Dark said:

Sounds like fun I think I'll try it.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Yeah, to get better with Peach, I just played 3 level 9 Foxes. It was so hard. Basically here was my strategy:
1. Downsmash a lot to rack up early damage because it hits so many times
2. Float cancel Bairs because they have no idea how to get through them
3. Fthrow when they're at like 999% ftw

But I can honestly say that I wouldn't be anywhere as good as I am now if I didn't play 3 level 9 computers all day to sharpen my mad skills.

[/sarcasm]

Top Bottom