• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best response to roll spam?

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
I've been trying to relearn this char on For Glory, but my loss rate has been plummeting to roll spammers who'd be easy to 2 stock with on Rob or Charizard.

But Lucas' down smash doesn't hit both sides, and his range is kind of shot to chase roll spammers throwing out random disjointed moves.

What should I do in these situations?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
jump back sh pk fire

or alternatively become a better player, and start catching habits and reading them

Last edited:

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
jump back sh pk fire

or alternatively become a better player, and start catching habits and reading them
I can catch rolls without a problem on my other chars, but between the lag and frames at which things come out, Lucas feels as if his abilities come out to slow. For example, if a Mario is roll spamming and jabbing the entire time, I don't have much of a consistent response.
I'll try spamming pk fires more often in these cases though. What's the point of the short hop though? Wouldn't it just miss short characters?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
I can catch rolls without a problem on my other chars, but between the lag and frames at which things come out, Lucas feels as if his abilities come out to slow. For example, if a Mario is roll spamming and jabbing the entire time, I don't have much of a consistent response.
I'll try spamming pk fires more often in these cases though. What's the point of the short hop though? Wouldn't it just miss short characters?
it has less ending lag

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
If they roll way, PK Fire, if they roll behind you, turn around. Your jab is frame 2, your Ftilt is frame 7, there's no way it's too slow. If they roll truly into you you could even do your frame 3 Utilt. Usmash has a pretty big hitbox behind him in case you read the roll, or you could go for Fsmash / turn around Dsmash then.

Last edited:

Token523

Smash Rookie
If they roll way, PK Fire, if they roll behind you, turn around. Your jab is frame 2, your Ftilt is frame 7, there's no way it's too slow. If they roll truly into you you could even do your frame 3 Utilt. Usmash has a pretty big hitbox behind him in case you read the roll, or you could go for Fsmash / turn around Dsmash then.
I agree using jab is a great option. You can also short hop neutral air in place if you know their habits.

n0b0dy

Smash Rookie
If your opponent keeps rolling behind you, pivot grabbing is also an excellent option as Lucas has great combos to rack up damage at low to mid percents, and if your opponent is at kill percent, up throw and back throw are strong options as well.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
remember that you don't always have to punish rolls.
mistiming a pivot grab or dsmash is terribly dangerous, because you can easily get a hard punish coming at you. it's safer at lower %, but in the 100's, don't do that stuff unless you're really desperate.

just stick to the harder to punish stuff - jab, dtilt and PKF for rolling in front of you, ftilt, utilt, nair and dair for rolling behind/niside you.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
DSmash has served as a lethal and effective deterrent for rolling lately. I thought it wouldn't be all that either when I saw it only hits to one side, but that thing is crazy good for rolls.
Just like in Brawl, it can hit behind Lucas if they're very close. Particularly the later bursts.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
if they roll behind you, you can jab in place. lucas does have a hitbox behind him which can connect when the opponent is too close to lucas back

otherwise, dash backwards when you expect a roll and do either a Pivot Grab, Pivot FTilt or UpSmash. upsmash need time for setup however

beany

Smash Rookie
SH retreating Nair is fun if they roll behind you. Even if you dont hit them out of the roll (which would be surprising because Nair lasts quite a while), it's decently fast, puts you in a better position, and then there's combo potential yada yada. I do it mainly because it looks hilarious. Most characters rolling on the ground look very strategic and stealthy, while you have lucas flailing his limbs and such, and prefectly sticking the hand-stand 10/10

Iloveyouallmmmmm

Smash Rookie
If your opponent keeps rolling behind you, pivot grabbing is also an excellent option as Lucas has great combos to rack up damage at low to mid percents, and if your opponent is at kill percent, up throw and back throw are strong options as well.
True. Lucas's pivot grab range is excellent and will defiantly catch opponents off guard if you mix up with it.

Nohbody

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfkip-BwL_w
check that video if you don't know about turn cancelling (or u turns)
i havent tested frame data, but I know from experience that uturning backward or forward gives you better spacing options than consistently rolling. get good at that, then practice using it in fights. at the least, it is unfamiliar and throwing a downsmash or fsmash out of uturn will throw their timing off. Get good, and it leads to a plethora of options against anyone approaching.​

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfkip-BwL_w
check that video if you don't know about turn cancelling (or u turns)
i havent tested frame data, but I know from experience that uturning backward or forward gives you better spacing options than consistently rolling. get good at that, then practice using it in fights. at the least, it is unfamiliar and throwing a downsmash or fsmash out of uturn will throw their timing off. Get good, and it leads to a plethora of options against anyone approaching.​
Really? Tried U-turns a bit when the Tourney locator video dropped, the only real use i thought of it for lucas would be the extended i-turn on a ledge to uptilt, since it was few of the tilts that actually kept you sliding.. i tend to sh airdodge landcancel if i want to mixup, sh airdodge through someone and follow up with a grab from behind usually works great aswell!

Top Bottom