• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best computer I could build for around $800?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
What's the best computer I could build for around $800? I got a job and would like to save up for a new PC. I want it to be able to play Final Fantasy XIV on closest to max settings, but don't wanna spend more than $800. I really don't know where to start... Haven't checked out computers in years @_@ lol

Thanks in advance :3

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Will you be building this PC? If not, I would stay away from big brand computers (e.g., HP, Compaq etc.)

If you want to get a good gaming PC and don't want to build it (though you should because it's cheaper and it's a learning experience), you can visit http://www.ecollegepc.com/

It's a pretty good site in my opinion. You can choose a template from one of the computers they have and edit parts to your liking. Or, you can build one from scratch. Something that is beneficial is that when you're building your computer, the availability of parts change depending on what parts you choose. For example, if you choose a high-end graphics card, the PSU will change accordingly so that it has enough power to power the graphics card and your computer. That way you don't have to worry about having incompatible parts in your PC.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Yes, I'm going to build it. Building it will let me get a cheaper computer that's actually better. :p

Edit: just checked out that site, seems really neat :o

C.SDK

Smash Ace
And as always, since ecollegepc needs to make a profit, it might be a bit more expensive than if you entirely built it yourself. I might be a bit of help if that's the case. :p

:phone:

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Here are the minimum and recommended specs for the game: http://www.ffxivinfo.com/systemreqs.php

My current computer doesn't even meet the minimum, lol.

I want to get as close to the recommended specs, but I don't wanna spend more than $800, and I don't really know what's good... D: I really need to know what a good graphics card would be, I'm clueless about those.

Also for the processors... AMD is a lot cheaper than an Intel, but would it be a big difference, like the best AMD be bad compared to an i7?

John2k4

The End of an Era
AMD currently leads in physical core count (with the new FX series having up to 8 cores per chip), and is cheaper.

Intel does Virtualization and Hyper-Threading better than AMD, but will cost you a lot.

John2k4

The End of an Era
In terms of graphics cards, I feel that GeForce (Nvidia) has the edge on Radeon/AMD cards.

Check Newegg.com - they've got sales on graphics cards that pop up all the time.

:phone:

Top Bottom