• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's so great about Diddy Kong?

Silby

Smash Rookie
Serious thread, why is everyone saying Diddy Kong is the bees knees now? I absolutely abhor playing as him so I have basically no firsthand experience. To me he just looks like a less crappy Brawl Diddy. Besides the bananas, did he get any new tricks that really helped him out?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Potassium. It allows him incredible control of the stage. Nanners are versitle and allow him to approach and set up for nasty tech trap situations. He has an very good kill move with fair and his recovery is very good.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
His neutral game is easy and incredibly strong, and his punish game doesn't have to be explored well to be effective.

At early stages of play, it's a lot easier for Diddy to just do basic things and win, because the counter play to things that make then unsafe take practice to get down.

He is easy to pick up at first and be effecting with, and his more intricate play requires more awareness and reads than just glide tosses to DA to fairs.

Good recovery plus easy punish games plus a strong neutral that forces people to actually think and adapt creates a character that makes a lot of salt.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I think what makes Diddy so great is the fact that without bananas, he's an amazing character with good range, priority, combo ability, and kill power.

Then when you add bananas into the mix, he can just become ridiculous.

Diddy can be played competently both ways.

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
I actually love that Diddy has one banana now. It forces Diddy players who abuse bananas to step their game up. I just find it annoying that out of all the cast, Diddy is the only one you have to adjust greatly to solely due to his bananas. Hell, not even Peach compares when it comes to item pressure. More than half the time you're just grabbing them, jumping over them, slipping and re-adjusting yourself while he chips at you. His combo game and kill potential is already good. Two bananas is overkill, but one banana is fine by me.

Missile

Smash Apprentice
I always saw Diddy as being perfect with one banana but pulling it out on his hand kinda like Peach does the turnips.

jjCarebear

Smash Rookie
I always saw Diddy as being perfect with one banana but pulling it out on his hand kinda like Peach does the turnips.

I agree. Even though pulling out two in the right situation is good for a chuckle or two, it gives your opponent the chance to throw them back at you. One banana can give you more control over the stage than two can.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I agree. Even though pulling out two in the right situation is good for a chuckle or two, it gives your opponent the chance to throw them back at you. One banana can give you more control over the stage than two can.
No having two was I'd say arguably always better; and I mean you can use Brawl as a definitive example.

The suggestion to pull it straight into his hand though is just stripping one of the unique features of his banana design

Top Bottom