• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's RAR

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
I seen RAR mentioned in the Ike's Matchups thread. What's RAR and how exactly do I do it? When should I use it?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Reverse Aerial Rush. In Brawl (and PM) if you are moving then smash the opposite direction you are moving as you jump then hold the initial direction again you can maintain forward momentum while facing backwards. Basically you cancel the turn around animation but you are still facing the opposite direction of your run as you move forward in the air.

This is extremely useful with Ike considering he can RAR out of quickdraw. The input is side+b->smash opposite direction->jump->smash inital direction. Note opposite direction and jump come out at almost the same time and smash inital direction comes very quickly after the step before it. If you do a backflip from your jump then you maintained your momentum perfectly.

The main uses of this are QD->RAR->bair and QD->RAR->jc grab (the pivot grab). I use it occasionally with QDing through an opponent to RAR fair as a mixup and nair sometimes if I want the back part to hit first. I also use it a lot for QD->RAR->wavedash off a ledge for very quick edgehogging (it can be risky). You'll get a feel for when you want to use it and when you don't.

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
I'm getting RAR(both regular and out of QD) down but I have another little question about this. Does RAR out of QD make regular RAR obsolete or just a weaker option?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm getting RAR(both regular and out of QD) down but I have another little question about this. Does RAR out of QD make regular RAR obsolete or just a weaker option?
Not obselete but generally RAR out of qd is much better because you can have much more forward momentum. Personally I don't use regular RAR's ever with Ike.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I use regular RARs. It's all dependent on your own position to the opponent. If they're closer and you want a Bair as soon as you can, that's when you use a regular RAR.

Dralarco

Smash Rookie
For me why is it so hard to do it. Is there anything wrong I did?

metroid1117

Smash Master
For me why is it so hard to do it. Is there anything wrong I did?
To reiterate, the inputs for any RAR (including the ones out of QD) are right (run) -> left (turnaround) -> jump (initiate jumpsquat) -> right (retain momentum from run). Although it doesn't look like much, the tricky part to it for the full effect is to go from left (for the turnaround) to right (to retain momentum) while still in Ike's jumpsquat animation (the "squatting" animation characters undergo when starting a jump before they leave the ground); since Ike's jumpsquat is 5 frames long, you have 5/60ths of a second to do this left -> right input. It takes some time to pick up, but it's worth it.

Last edited:

Dralarco

Smash Rookie
To reiterate, the inputs for any RAR (including the ones out of QD) are right (run) -> left (turnaround) -> jump (initiate jumpsquat) -> right (retain momentum from run). Although it doesn't look like much, the tricky part to it for the full effect is to go from left (for the turnaround) to right (to retain momentum) while still in Ike's jumpsquat animation (the "squatting" animation characters undergo when starting a jump before they leave the ground); since Ike's jumpsquat is 5 frames long, you have 5/60ths of a second to do this left -> right input. It takes some time to pick up, but it's worth it.
Thank you for the help, RAR will help me get some quick Bairs, and the movement to get across the stage faster.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's a common misconception that QD gives you more aerial momentum. A running jump/RAR and a QD jump/RAR should give you the same aerial speed.

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's a common misconception that QD gives you more aerial momentum. A running jump/RAR and a QD jump/RAR should give you the same aerial speed.
Actually, QD does give more aerial momentum. The maximum velocity you can impart to a jump is 1.75 units per frame, but Ike's maximum run speed is only 1.55 units per frame. Plus, the momentum that get carried over to a jump is only your current momentum multiplied by 0.75, so the airspeed from a running jump is only around 1.16 units per frame, or about 2/3 the maximum amount.

EDIT: Never mind, it turns out that the initial velocity that Ike gets from jumping while stationary (0.95 units per frame) is added to the momentum gained from running. So running jumps and QD jumps are equivalent in speed.

My b.

Last edited:
Top Bottom