• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats Megamans best playstyle?

-Champ-

Smash Apprentice
I'm still trying to discover who's the right main for me. I've narrowed it down to TL and MM. I like using characters with projectiles, so Megaman's "lemons"(buster) appeals to me. I personally like the campy playstyle (i.g TL), but im not sure if MM would be a good campy character or if he's a shield pressure/aggro type of character. Idk :ohwell:

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Mega Man is more than capable of handling hyper aggressive characters now that the Wii U version has been released. He has so much control with his Buster game and with more variety in stages, you will be able to have a little bit more play style to your game. If you really like taking advantage of extremely safe projectiles and maximum control, I strongly recommend looking into playing this character. It's always nice to gain an additional Mega Man player!

-Champ-

Smash Apprentice
Mega Man is more than capable of handling hyper aggressive characters now that the Wii U version has been released. He has so much control with his Buster game and with more variety in stages, you will be able to have a little bit more play style to your game. If you really like taking advantage of extremely safe projectiles and maximum control, I strongly recommend looking into playing this character. It's always nice to gain an additional Mega Man player!
Yeah the MM threads seem to be pretty active. I might like it here :awesome: lol. But yeah, from the moment I seen him released I knew I was going to use him on the Wii U version, just didn't know how much. After TL got the patch of death I knew I had to find a new character to compensate. I really just want to know if he would be able to get stage control and spacing, even a good zoning game would be awesome. With all the good characters getting even more buffs, I find a good camping necessary lol. But if I do have to get my hand(s) dirty, il definitely be using my ryuken :smirk:

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
IMO Mega Man is a mix-up character. He's kind of a jack-of-all trades and master of none, with good moves at long, mid, and short range, but he doesn't excel at any of those ranges.I think he works best at mid range because that's where you have the most options--you can either stay there, or quickly shift back to long range or up to close range.

Leaf Shield is a good example of a move that characterizes Mega Man's playstyle. You can either run up and grab with it (close range) or huck it and follow up with other attacks (long range). To use it effectively you have to be unpredictable and mix up between those options.

Last edited:

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
I find that a good way to play Megaman is to rack up percent using his projectiles (megabuster, metal blade and crash bomb). Mixing up projectiles and using fair and bair for spacing to stay safe. His down throw also combos into his aerials. His best KO options are probably his Utilt and Fsmash, or you can edgeguard with bair.

Last edited:

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Pretty much what the guy above me said, use megaman projectiles and kill with the buster,Utilt, Up smash or even down smash(you gotta read your opponent for this one).

I am making a megaman tutorial which i will be explaining how to play safe, how to kill, just basic things that most megaman players should know.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Be unpredictable and land your attacks. You have options at all ranges so don't get stuck doing one thing. Versus aggressive players, just using grabs a lot will easily put you ahead until they adapt. Also, don't roll, like ever. Dtilt or jump backwards while shooting lemons instead. As mega you can spam hitboxes constantly.

Also practice some technical kills like z drop metal blade into hard knuckle offstage, as well as metal blade into utilt, or dash utilt

When I get to try the Wii U version I think using cstick for attacks rather than smashes might be good, due to more easily cancelling into utilt and being able to have free momentum while aiming hard knuckle.

Last edited:

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
IMO Mega Man is a mix-up character. He's kind of a jack-of-all trades and master of none, with good moves at long, mid, and short range, but he doesn't excel at any of those ranges.
Be unpredictable and land your attacks.
Honestly, I have not "Set" playstyle. It changes depending on the match up, and I think that benefits us in the long run, because we can be unpredictable and still gain the upper hand.

However, really watch out for characters with a lot of reach on smash attacks. Marth and Shulk players have both gotten really good ofstage slash combos by continuing to follow and slash until we're offscreen.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
He's a really hard character to categorize. Generally he's a "wall of pain" character in that he doesn't have the strong range of certain other characters...but he's not a pure melee character either he's like some counter-offensive inbetween that's all about countering what the other person is doing and just being an overall well...wall of pain. I wouldn't say he's "campy" either as you do have to be pretty mobile and flexible.

I think the whole theme of his character is that every single move he has is meant to be specifically situational. They are all references after all. So he's all about variety really. He's a tough character I won't lie, but because of this variety there's a lot of really cool little hidden tricks compared to other characters, that you can find around this board that I see the few players that use him at tournaments still not use. He's a tough character even for me to place the effectiveness of, since he seems to have a layer of depth not too many have caught on to. Many people on streams and such STILL don't use Leaf Shield, which I'm fairely convinced now is like not using a third of the characters' options.

If you want something different then he's certainly that.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Megaman is more about keeping control of the battle. He's a very unique character that has very sting range and meele options and has an answer to almost every character in the game. He's also one of the weakest characters dps wise but the fact that he has a ton of moves that can kill at very early presents. (Most of his kill moves are very punishable) also has a lot of tools at his disposal but most of his moves can be reflected.

There's 2 ways to play megaman depending on who u face. Zone and poke aganst characters like sonic. And full pressure on characters like pacman.

Top Bottom