• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's keeping Ice Climbers from Top Tier?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I mean, really, why aren't they up there? Their godly grab game should put them mid-top tier. Why are they high?
1. People are pretty good at avoiding getting grabbed.
2. It's hard enough to get a grab in with their pathetic grab range.
3. Both Popo and Nana have to be present for the CGs to work.
4. People are getting pretty good at taking advantage of Nana's down-syndrome.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
5. Meta Knight.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
anyone who plays ic´s competitive knows that they´re definitely not top tier.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
This.

Also, the Ice Climbers have a few lopsided matchups against them, four of which are in Top Tier.

The Ice Climbers also do very poorly on many stages.

Those two reasons make them easy to counterpick.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
wait... he's asking why they ARE top tier and not lower? at least thats how i understood it from his first post....

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
wait... he's asking why they ARE top tier and not lower? at least thats how i understood it from his first post....
He's asking why they aren't top tier and what's keeping them from getting there.

Also, the high learning curve is a turn off for most smashers. Thus the lack of representation. That is possibly another reason.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
EVERYONE knows that Ice Climbers (usually) rely on grabs, so they do ANYTHING in their power to not get grabbed. People are getting better at avoiding grabs. Also, Norfair and Rainbow Cruise are TERRIBLE. Since you only get one ban, you'll probably end up at one of these. There are some characters that counter ICs pretty well, too. For starters, MK ***** (tho I'd prefer MK to a skilled, bomb-wielding camper). Marth and G&W do well, too. Or anyone with a decent range/projectile game for that matter.

Basically, the Ice Climbers suck. The only thing that would put them in a higher tier group is their grab game. Unfortunately, people are aware of this and are becoming better and better at avoiding what makes the ICs so good.

lain

Smash Master
I think G&W does pretty bad in that matchup, and MK never gives me a problem. Keep in mind I 3 stock NOJ for free and he's ****ing ****.

:colorful:

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Thing is, ice climbers are still a really solid character even without chain grabs.
Great B moves, desyncing, strong smashes, a great spike, wonderful recovery (if nana is present) and Hubert.

Top Bottom