• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's good spacing?

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Everybody always tells me that Marth is all about spacing... and never tells me about that spacing :T I know the idea is to stay at a range where you can tack on % but still have time to react to your opponents attacks according to the situation. I like to think of Marth's attack range as a bubble and you dont let them in the center. I've also herd people talk about a ariel wall and idk what that is -_- Also i dont know how to stay at the right range to tack on % and transition to a combo. I actually have trouble all around with starting a combo. I just bait them with a dash dance and U-throw. I just need pretty much every little bit of advice on Marth's spacing you have. That also includes character match up stuff. (especially shiek stuff)

Million

Smash Rookie
Good spacing is knowing how to use the difference between Tippers and non-tipped attacks to accomplish your goals.

ex: with your dair move your primary goal is almost always to dumpster and gimp your opponent.
You almost always want to tipper this move when your opponent is close to offstage to get a kill.
alternatively you can also use dair oos (out of shield) not that its the best option but it does cover a few options.
in this case you dont want a tipper because it will be too slow and you'll lag to get to appropriate range out of shield and
probably get punished jumping for that long.

So spacing is really about goals. Remember you can play a character however you want to. Just start recognizing the difference in knockback and percent you get off a tipper or non-tippered move. Then once you start understanding that you can use that knowledge to dictate what you want to do. Either combo, Kill, jab reset. ect..

Once I got really good at this, I couldnt even stand playing roy since his tipper mechanics are exactly the opposite.

Hope that helps

-Million

Top Bottom