• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's considered a competitive player?

KennyG

Smash Rookie
I feel like every smash player now would like to consider themselves competitive, especially on Smash Wii U since there is the whole "For Glory" thing. I know that's not right but I'm not sure why. Being a casual smash player isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Personally however, I don't think walking into one tournament and going 0-2 immediately makes someone competitive, maybe I'm wrong.

So, what makes one a "competitive smash player"?

How to become competitive?

Hmm... Are you competitive?

Thanks, enjoy the thread!

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Breathe

Take a deep breath... Now release.... ahhhhhhhh

By breathing, you are competing aganist death. There. Now youre competitive

Phans

Smash Cadet
I think the general use of the word means 'an active contributor to the competitive scene'.

If you don't like that, here's how I think of it. I'll redeem Wintermelon43's comment as an example.

You're breathing. Why?

If you answer "because I want to beat death" then you are the low form of competitive. These players enjoy winning. They will stop playing if they consistently lose. While this is assuredly not always true, they are often lackluster fighters and lackluster people.

If you answer "because there is so much that I must do" then you are the high form of competitive. These players enjoy finding and pushing their limits, and tournaments and the like give them a chance to showcase their skills. They will stop playing if they themselves aren't doing well or the opponent is playing in such a way that they cannot well perform. I think most top players are in this category.

If you answer "because the air smells nice this time of year" then you are a casual. These players enjoy Smash's combat, and they don't care whether they win or lose so long as the fighting is good and exciting, with lots of hard reads and falcon punches. They will stop playing if the opponent is camping or spamming projectiles or rolls because then there's no proper fighting.

So it depends on where your priorities lie. Of course, merely because you're high competitive doesn't mean you can't enjoy Smash for Smash's sake, nor does being casual mean you place no value on your performance, nor does preferring winning over losing mean that that's all you care for.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
A person who often do tournaments, goes to local tournaments and possibly some out of state ones.

Practice and stay calm much?

I wish, with all the stress I give myself and getting irritated alot. I don't think so. But trying.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Go to tournaments and be famous or whatever.

Practice makes perfect.

No. Being competitive ain't part of my lifestyle. Never will.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Well, to some, it means they want to win.
To others, it means they want to be the best.
Others want to learn slowly and experience what it's like to get better, caring more about the journey than the destination.
Some try not to beat others, but to beat themselves. Time trial modes, anyone?
There's really not one answer.

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
I think the general use of the word means 'an active contributor to the competitive scene'.

If you don't like that, here's how I think of it. I'll redeem Wintermelon43's comment as an example.

You're breathing. Why?

If you answer "because I want to beat death" then you are the low form of competitive. These players enjoy winning. They will stop playing if they consistently lose. While this is assuredly not always true, they are often lackluster fighters and lackluster people.

If you answer "because there is so much that I must do" then you are the high form of competitive. These players enjoy finding and pushing their limits, and tournaments and the like give them a chance to showcase their skills. They will stop playing if they themselves aren't doing well or the opponent is playing in such a way that they cannot well perform. I think most top players are in this category.

If you answer "because the air smells nice this time of year" then you are a casual. These players enjoy Smash's combat, and they don't care whether they win or lose so long as the fighting is good and exciting, with lots of hard reads and falcon punches. They will stop playing if the opponent is camping or spamming projectiles or rolls because then there's no proper fighting.

So it depends on where your priorities lie. Of course, merely because you're high competitive doesn't mean you can't enjoy Smash for Smash's sake, nor does being casual mean you place no value on your performance, nor does preferring winning over losing mean that that's all you care for.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SO MUCH RIGHTEOUSNESS

Top Bottom