• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would your ideal "Custom Moves" be?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I was rather disappointed when Custom Moves were nothing more than variants of pre-existing moves with different properties... I always wanted a few more, this thread is to share what ideas you think could have been nice additional moves for characters, especially based on their games.

I guess I'll start with my own which are for Pac-Man.

Butt Bounce - Pretty self explanatory except Pac-Man actually 'bounces' and has near-full air control, being able to change his direction. The third bounce creates a short shockwave which is limited in range but powerful in damage.

Rev-Roll - Similar to Sonic's spindash but has some difference to set it apart, For one: it is more effective in damage but once colliding with an opponent, Pac-Man is temporary stunned to get back up.

Anyone else have some to share?

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
My ideal Custom moves are that everyone including the DLC characters has them....

No actually, I'd like to have more customs with alternate approaches like Crescent Slash or Wizard's Dropkick. But nope. It's depressing to see Sonic have 6 variations of spin dash.

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
A version of aether where each and every hit does same damage as a fully charged Fsmash and last hit has Level 8 eruption knockback. Extremley balanced move imo

Another one is where all of Shulks monado abillitys are all on at once. However downside is that you cant use monado arts. Pretty kewl huh?

SlickSnorlax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Persei
3DS FC
4699-5385-1643
A version of aether where each and every hit does same damage as a fully charged Fsmash and last hit has Level 8 eruption knockback. Extremley balanced move imo

Another one is where all of Shulks monado abillitys are all on at once. However downside is that you cant use monado arts. Pretty kewl huh?
Those sound... Overpowered. XD

Last edited:

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
anything other than jigglys rollout DX like id even e okay with her just exhaling to the point it pushes her like pound but farther doesnt have to do damage can push away people if you want i just hate rollout DX

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
A version of Falcon Punch that has super armour during start-up and pierces super armour

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff Up B - Defense Curl . High defense for 10 seconds after sing animation(sing itself has no effect).

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Mii fighter moves need the following buffs.
1. major flaw is that many moves are copies but on different slots.
2. general dmg buff. they simply don't fight with the same potency as other actual characters. e.g. mii bomb vs samus's bomb are worlds apart in utitlity and dmg. As well as falco's, mii's and fox's blasters.
3. recoveries needs to gain more height. don't think I missed how hero's spin doesn't go as high as link's

Mii sword
1. you only need 1 projectile. Shuriken of light and chakram are pretty much the same move. Just combine both of them. Making it fly farther (charge the attack to make it fly farther AND do more dmg) and with control on direction.
2. surging slash and airborne assault are the same move. one just has more smash power, guess which is used more. Instead of surging slash, have dancing blade (fire emblem) but chargable 2 hits like link's side smash.
3. power thrust is the same as surging thrust. instead have dodge slash. Thats right instead of countering (which needs to be equal to a marth counter btw), you do a dodge in place with a slash (same power as a normal A attack) at the end of the dodge. The i-frames though are shorter than a normal dodge.

Mii brawler
1. foot flurry and onslaught are the same move. Instead of separating them. Making it chargable. So a uncharged version is foot flurry while onslaught is a horizontal charge usable only on the ground.
2. explosive kick cancel. The ability to tap the special early to do a weak kick as opposed to being stuck in the animation (as such you can lengthen the charge time a lil). Plus let it more dmg for crying out loud. Same with uppercut. I expect the uppercut to have the same power as link's dash attack while the explosive foot the same as falcon punch..
3. shot-put. really sakurai? How bout instead of that you have a grab special like bowsers side special. Like a grab and knee to the chest. With the same power as a falcon knee. But the grab range is shorter than a normal grab.
4. headache maker is an UP SPECIAL. A copycat of soaring axe kick in fact. How lazy can you get sakurai? to replace the headache maker slot. I say a dancing blade alike but each hit has knock back so you can't combo it. Not light enough to build up % but not strong enough to smash with. Its a general crowd control move.
5. Burning drop kick. more charge more fire aoe where the flamers linger longer on the character the longer its charged causing pseudo super hot curry effect.
6.piston punch and helicopter kick ARE THE SAME DAMN MOVE. instead of one of these moves how bout a ryu tribute? I call it the shoryu-senpu makikyaku-ken. Where the character is doing both a shoryuken and senpu at the same time giving rubbish recovery time but with smash ability on all directions. No movement in any direction. Literally just has you hover in the spot.
7. head on assualt and axe kick=same attack. instead have a toad like counter where the mii character teleports to the other side of the enemy and you see punching hit sparks appear doing combo dmg.
8. foot flurry seeing as I say it should be fused with onslaught this leaves a new move. of which I say a move like focus but instead of a focus attack. the player inputs whatever smash they see fit and it hits full charged. Can only take 1 hit and cannot cancel.

Mii gunman
1. splatoon moves. You just released one of your biggest shooters and its NOT IN SMASH?
2. replace bomb drop with mine place.
3. arm rocket replace with fludd move. You charge up your gun to fire liquid that shoots in any direction and move players. Shoots horizontally when on the ground. Bigger the charge the longer the shot lasts.
4. laser blaze needs flinch. No knockback. As is the move is useless. Only fox can use rapid blaster to get %. Currently it fires too slow. And its no falco blaster because there's no flinch. It fires faster than falco ok fine. don't have the knock back. But it doesnt have the firerate fox has to warrent a threat. So just have it have slight flinch to interrupt ppl's moves. lower the dmg for balance if you see fit.
5. charge blast is pathetic. So is gunner missile. either buff that or think of something original.
6. gunner missile replaced with lock on. shots with the lock on icon get hits twice dmg for x seconds by mii specials.
7. flame pillar replaced with flame pillars. The ability to fire up to 3 flame pillars depending on how long you charge. explodes from closest to you to farthest from you.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
my ideal custom moves for Lucas, Roy and Mewtwo are ONES THAT EXIST

Last edited:

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
Shulk Neutral: Monado Roulette.

All Monado Arts have severely reduced drawbacks. However, you cannot change arts at will, they are selected for you when your previous art runs out.

Shulk Side: Turn Strike
Sacrifice the backstab effect for high shield damage. Shulk does not move horizontally while using this move, and he only hops a little bit before it.

Robin Up: Celica's Gale

Robin rides a gust of wind horizontally at an angle like Donkey Kong, and fires four projectiles downwards in a row. Possesses slightly more durability than the default Elwind.

Robin Down: Grima's Truth

A forward-facing, slow-moving shadow projectile that hits multiple times to deal low damage and goes through enemies. Recharges significantly faster than Nosferatu does.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
:4ness:
1. PK Flash
- An electrical blast that explodes after a while or when you release the button.

2. PK Freeze - Like PK Flash, but freezes opponents when it hits.

3. PK Darkness - Stuns opponents on or off stage, giving the effect of a broken shield.

1. PK Fire - A lightning bolt that erupts into a flame pillar when it hits an opponent.

2. PK Beam - A lighting bolt that stuns opponents when it hits.

3. PK Ground - Start a tremor that buries your opponents into the ground.

1. PK Thunder - Fire a steerable ball of lightning. Hit yourself with it to go flying.

2. Brainshock - Shoot a light wave to spin opponents around.

3. Teleport - Recover by teleporting in any direction. Run through your opponents when on stage.

1. PSI Magnet - Create a psychic field that absorbs energy-based projectiles to heal damage.

2. Life Up - Gradually recovers health but takes longer to start up. Does not pull projectile in.

3. PSI Shield - Activate to reduce damage and knock back given from any opponent.

:4samus:
1. Charge Shot
- An energy blast that shoots straight. Can be charged and stored for later.

2. Ice Shot - A beam that temporarily freezes the opponent. It may freeze more than one opponent at a time.

3. Wave Shot
- An energy beam that stuns and can pierce through more than one opponent. It can also pass through walls.

1. Missile - Launch a homing missile. Perform like a smash attack to launch a Super Missile.

2. Ice Missile - Launch a missile that freezes opponents. Smash attack to shoot a Diffusion Missile that covers a larger radius.

3. Seeker Missile - Launch a couple of missiles at once. Smash attack to shoot a Hyper Missile.

1. Screw Attack - Spin into the air. Any opponents caught by the move get hit several times.

2. Spin Jump Attack - Like the Screw Attack, but only does one hit and knocks opponents horizontally.

3. Shinespark - Leaves you open at the start, but allows recovery in any direction, and will deliver a blow to any opponent in the way.

1. Bomb - Drop a bomb in Morph Ball form. You'll fly upward if you're hit by the explosion.

2. Five Bomb Drop - Drop five bombs at once, scattering to nearby opponents, causing multiple damage.

3. Power Bomb - Drop a bomb with longer duration, but expands in wide range. Only one can exist at a time.

Khao

Smash Lord
I would love a more in-depth system where specific moves can actually be customized, not just select a few options from a list.

Like, a stronger, slower version of a move shouldn't be treated like a separate move, but the result of adjusting some stats after choosing the actual move.

Ideally, all moves would be as different to eachother as Palutena's.

Then we could choose some special stuff beyond that. Maybe I want my Falcon Punch to create an explosion. Or I want a counter to stun rather than launch opponents. Or I want a Crash Bomber to be stronger, slower, and instantly explode on contact. The idea is pretty much that each move can be given something like Equipment, giving them different stats, effects and properties, but affecting only that specific move instead of the character as a whole. This might make things a bit convoluted, but it'd be super cool to customize standard moves too. Maybe not as in adding alternate versions, but with the same stat and property modifying system than the specials.

I'd like a bit more effort in keeping things balanced too. Not necesarily perfect in that Equipment could be tournament viable, but in that it shouldn't be possible to have all three stats above the default version of the character for one. Ridiculously powerful effects, like Critical Hit, or Vampire should reduce stats by a lot more than they currently do. Like, add one of those, and you have to actually depend on them because your character is otherwise complete ****. I simply don't want custom character to be inherently better than one with everything on default.

In the end, if we could have a system that makes a custom character and a vanilla one as different to eachother as say, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are, that would be kind of amazing. With a bit more effort behind giving characters multiple different skins, we'd now have a way to create our own clones.

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
:4yoshi:: Give at least one Egg Roll attack melee-style horizontal recovery, maybe like a fixed-distance spindash. That and an Egg Toss that's stronger (but not horrendously slow, Timed Eggs) but doesn't hop you up any.

Plus a general weeding out of the customs nobody uses (Spinphony, Exploding Popgun, Soaring Axe Kick, etc) and new, actually good ones put in their place.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Give Mario a hammer side-B, a hammer throw B, and a power jump (Paper Mario/Mario RPG) downB.

DK with the coconut bazooka (since it's not his final smash).

Pokemon with any number of other moves they can learn.

Samus with different beams.

Link with different tools (including but not limited to the slingshot, seed shooter, wrecking ball, iron/levitating boots, etc)

Wario with a shoulder bash

Kirby with some different abilities, probably from Super Star or 64.

Megaman's actually pretty well off, though I still think a Junk Shield variant would have been awesome.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I've had this idea about Lucario's customs for a while

Neutral Special 1 - Aura Sphere: No change

Neutral Special 2 - Psychic: Lucario charges for a brief second, then levitates all nearby enemies. Has decnet range and hits both in front of and behind lucario.

On Hit: Enemies take damage over time while in the air. Airborne duration affected by %.
Press again to slam enemies into the ground, launching them.

Sets up into combos at low aura.

Is a powerful kill move at high aura

Ignores shields

On Whif: If no enemies are in range Lucario puts his hand to his forhead and shakes his head.

Neutral Special 3 - Vaccum Wave - A chargable projectile. Lucario charges an orb of energy. Is quicker to charge than aura sphere, but the charge has no hitbox. Is not affected by Aura.

No Charge: Unleash a small but quick moving projectile. Enemies hit by it take 1% damage and are pulled towards lucario. Has very little hitstun however.

Medium charge: Unleash a medium sized projectile that advances at a moderate pace. Enemies hit take 3~9% damage, are pulled towards lucario and are stunned briefly. Can lead into follow ups (only very quick ones are guarenteed)

Full Charge: Press again to unleash a large slow moving projectile with a suction windbox. Explodes when it hits an emnemy. Enemies are lauched straight up with significant hitstun. Can lead into Uair kills.

- - -

Side Speical 1 - Force Palm: No change

Side Speical 2 - Bone Rush: A two part move. Tap to throw a small bone at the enemy. Projectile has short range, and does not scale with aura. Holding activates a very brief charge period, followed by a dash. If the dash hitbox connects with an enemy, Lucario will whack them with a glowing bone-sword-thing (just like in the anime) Is treated like a grab. Kills very early. Grab portion does scale with Aura.

Side Special 3 - Bullet Punch: A weak but quick attack. Luario will dash foward. Upon coming into contact with an enemy, lucario will punch them for moderate damage and set knockback. Leads into follow ups. If the attack whiffs, lucario does not attack, and suffers a small amount of endlag (about 5 frames)

Damage scales with aura. Knockback does not.

- - -

I haven't come up with any ideas for Up Special or Down Special yet :(

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Shiek side b that turns back into the side b from brawl. I don't care what anyone says I liked it better than what Shiek has now.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Also would like to add, Custom moves should be other moves from the games the characters are representing. That for whatever reason a certain character from a game/series doesn't get in but their move can (see Ness Lucas Customs and Wolf Flash for Fox) . I know that's a lot more work for the devs, but it'd be a nice fanservice touch rather then variations on existing things. Like Sonic has 6 spin dashes if you count the customs.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I wish Peach could get more creative & diverse customs. Like flaming turnips to complement her flaming bomber? :333333 super kawaii

flaming parasol
flaming toad

needs more fire in general

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I thought of a few ideas for :4jigglypuff: that may be good ideas, or conversely, may be terrible ideas.

Sing is a terrible move so I thought her customs of it should be a vast improvement to the move.
:GCB::GCU: 2: A projectile music note slowly sweeps across the stage, causing anything in contact with it to fall asleep.
:GCB::GCU:3 Round: A version of sing where you can charge it, which makes it larger the longer you charge.
It also deals damage slowly while the foe is asleep, so you'd want to them with rest at that last second, but if you wait too long you miss the opportunity.

Rollout's pretty bad, but still has it's uses (rarely) so I made it's replacements not as strong but still substantially better.
:GCB:2: Faster, weaker version of Rollout that is twice as quick to charge, but unlike the actual custom this one ends like normal roll out.
:GCB:3 Play Rough: Short range command grab (Works roughly a Pikmin away from someone) that can be used even in the air to bypass shield :evil:. Toss is identical to up-throw, but the pummel is three times as fast as usual.

Rest is a utterly phenomenal high risk high reward move that doesn't need giant buffs so I tried to take a more balanced approach to this one.
:GCB::GCD:2:: Has a much larger hit box ( Entire Body) and deals only 15% and mediocre knockback, but heals Jigglypuff 4% per second. It lasts for about twice as long as normal rest.
:GCB::GCD:3: Hitbox is reduced from 3.4 units to 1.3 units, but does near- Melee levels of knockback, killing most at no more than 30%.

Pound is a good shield pressure move, but in it's current environment of high shield regen, it could use some upgrades.

:GCB::GCR: 2: This move deals less damage, is a tad slower, and deals less shield damage, but after it hits once, whenever the opponent uses shield it shrinks gradually. This effect lasts until shield break or 15 seconds are over.
:GCB::GCR: 3: Jigglypuff picks up (From hammerspace) her Microphone and proceeds to toss her microphone, it's about the size of Robin's book and travels at the speed of a no-charge arrow. This move deals minimal damage, 2-3%, but does somewhat high shield damage, so it serves as a tool to force opponents to approach Jiggly.

What do you guys think? Do you think I overpowered/underpowered anything?

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
:4sonic:
Neutral B:
Custom 1: Fireball Dash (Sonic 3 Fire Shield)
Custom 2: Stomp (Sonic Unleashed), quake-effect when contact w/ ground, does heavy shield damage

:4lucina::4marth:
Neutral B:
Melee Shield Breaker - Overhead slash that covers more range, doesn't grant momentum when used midair

D

Deleted member

I wish Peach could get more creative & diverse customs. Like flaming turnips to complement her flaming bomber? :333333 super kawaii

flaming parasol
flaming toad

needs more fire in general
Peach h4s t3h ph1r3!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:luigi64::luigimelee::luigi2::4luigi:
Neutral B
1) Bouncing Fireball
•Functions just like it does in Smash 4, I really like it

2) Thunderhand
+Faster than normal Fireball
+Stuns (Sorta like ZSS's Paralyzer) instead of freezes
-Less Damage
-Less Range

Side B
1) Rising Missle
+More Distance
+Produces Windbox similar to Greninja's Up B)
•Flies at a / Angle instead of straight forward
-Takes longer to charge
-No Misfire

2) Wacky Missle
+More Damage
+Misfire is as strong as a sweetspot Super Jump Punch
•Flies at a random angle (From straight upwards to directly downwards)
-Misfire is a 1/20 chance instead of a 1/10
-Unable to charge

Up B
1) High Jump
+Higher Jump
+Pressing Down while in mid-jump will cause Luigi to crash down at a diagonally forward angle, hitting an opponent from above during this causes them to be Spiked downwards and Luigi gets an even higher jump
+Doesn't put in Helpless if Spike hits
-No Misfire
-Can't move while in helpless from this move

2) Ultra Jump Punch
+Chargeable
+Sweetspot deals as much power as a K.O. Punch when fully charged
-Very little Jump Height, but charging raises it a bit

Down B
1) Poltergust 6000
+Rises higher
+Produces Windbox when spinning that traps opponents to Luigi, causes high damage if opponent is in Luigi's hitbox
+Causes strong windbox that pushes foes away from Luigi if not in the center
-Endlag ahoy
-Less Horizontal momentum

2) Spin Jump
+Moves faster horizontally if on the ground
+Using the move in the air works just like using it on the ground
+Doesn't fall when using it in the air
-Fall into Helpless when used Airborne
-Very little vertical momentum
-Less launch power

Last edited:

Super Ocebe

Smash Cadet
NNID
EckartGreiner
I was rather disappointed when Custom Moves were nothing more than variants of pre-existing moves with different properties... I always wanted a few more, this thread is to share what ideas you think could have been nice additional moves for characters, especially based on their games.

I guess I'll start with my own which are for Pac-Man.

Butt Bounce - Pretty self explanatory except Pac-Man actually 'bounces' and has near-full air control, being able to change his direction. The third bounce creates a short shockwave which is limited in range but powerful in damage.

Rev-Roll - Similar to Sonic's spindash but has some difference to set it apart, For one: it is more effective in damage but once colliding with an opponent, Pac-Man is temporary stunned to get back up.

Anyone else have some to share?
Genkidama

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Custom Ganondorf neutral-b that releases a projectile from his fist instead of a powerful backhand.

Custom Wario side-b that replaces bike with Wariomobile would be fun too, I reckon.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Ok but, Instead of a new custom move how about making Wario's Garlic Breath faster so he could keep up with Mewtwo's disable

1FC0

Smash Lord
I would like a move based on Stack-Up. Though It does not have to be custom for me.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Actually I came up with a good one for Shulk. A Version of Vision that trades damage and shortens the amount of time the counter can (well counter) for the ability for Shulk to make his opponents temporarily unable to do any of their specials for a short time

Smash Ace
Falcon Punch which has invinvibility, no startup lag and ending lag, has range across the entire screen, deals 999% damage and kills at zero. Very balanced.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm personally fine with the way custom moves work, but I would want two things to happen:
1) All the DLC characters get custom moves.
2) Custom moves can now be used on For Glory.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
None. I really think custom moves were a really bad idea. They detract from the identity and individual playstyle of characters. I'd never use them for anything but Miis.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
For Jigglypuff, give him customs. Simple enough, there's like one good one and the rest or either worse or even with their default.

Top Bottom