• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you say to Smash 5 being given a universal counter mechanic?

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
With Corrin and Bayonetta now added, it feels like practically half the cast already has a B-down counter. Once Smash gets its next inevitable sequel on the NX (probably without Sakurai, but still), why not just embrace the madness and give everyone a counter?

It would not take up the B-down special move slot, but would have a separate command, either mapped to its own button or a button combination (probably the latter, to make it less spammy). Characters that already had a counter in previous games would be given new specials, while retaining their old counter moves mapped to the new command. And the new counters certainly wouldn't have to be all Marth and Roy-style stationary single hits, they could incorporate any kinds of new special properties and movements to suit a character's playstyle, such as those seen in Bayo, Greninja, and Ryu's counters.

Anyone want to try arguing why giving a certain character a counter (not necessarily Marth-style) would render them totally broken? I don't see it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not opposed but there'd be another dimension of balancing needed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I object.

Not every playstyle is meant to have a counter.

Counters can be strong tools, but not every moveset should have one.

D

Deleted member

Defense is already high enough at the moment, we don't need to drag the fights out longer. I mean that with all due respect. :194:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Every character shall be unique. Having everyone having a counter just wouldn't make the game feel right

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
No.
Enough Counters. If we ever get a Smash 5, hopefully, that is not the case. Counters are still a semi-unique thing.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Defense is already high enough at the moment, we don't need to drag the fights out longer. I mean that with all due respect. :194:
You have a point here. I think that Smash 5 should either give everyone a counter, or get rid of all the counters. We're a long ways apart from the early Melee days where Marth and Roy's counters were a weird, exceptional thing exclusive to them. Hell, everything about Marth/Roy seemed really "out there" for a Smash game when they first appeared, but now flashy swordfighters have become the norm.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If you mean kinda like Alpha Counters in Street Fighter Alpha or V-Reversals in Street Fighter V, then yes, I would love that. Characters that have trouble being rushed down like Rosalina would benefit, and characters like Sheik and Sonic couldn't just mash A to win anymore. It'd be cool if ever character had their own unique smash counter, too. Like, for example, Ganondorf has a smaller counter window, but it deals good knockback, while Luigi has a larger counter window, and it deals lower knockback. I could see that working out well.

Top Bottom