• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would ridleys part be in a sequel to subspace emissary.

GalactaKnight4545

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-0755-8455-9983
Would it be the same as it was in the first subspace emissary where he was 2 bosses. Or would he be collecting trophies along with wario, ganon, and bowser.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Would it be the same as it was in the first subspace emissary where he was 2 bosses. Or would he be collecting trophies along with wario, ganon, and bowser.
Hopefully, he'd be a part of the League of Evil alongside Ganondorf, Bowser, Wario, etc. I liked Tabuu as the big bad so I hope they keep the villains villainous and not make him a shoo in here for the hell of it.

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
I definitely expect him to be part of Nintendo’s sinister six along with Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Wolf and ideally King K. Rool. It would be really interesting to see him forced to fight alongside Samus and Pikachu against Tabuu though.

GalactaKnight4545

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-0755-8455-9983
what was the reason we never got krool. has sakurai ever given an answer to why he was just a costume in 4 and not a playable character. Im pretty sure he was in the top 5 in the dlc ballot.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Beat him as a boss and he joins you, I would think. Or if he was already considered beaten based on brawl's story then probably with ganondorf and Bowser to take over the world. I don't really know where a subspace 2 could go, I would rather an all new storyline.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I assume he'd act like the other playable villains, having him be a regular boss would just be awkward now, especially when playing Boss Battles mode as Ridley.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I could see Ridley not joining either the heroes nor the villains. He'd be conducting Space Pirate operations as usual. But then the Subspace villains resurrect or create a Ridley clone, which infuriates the actual (Ultimate) Ridley, causing him to attack the villains. He doesn't align with the heroes, but the heroes take advantage of him attacking the villains. This could happen a few times until Ultimate Ridley kills the Ridley clone himself, and once that is done, he turns on the heroes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He does whatever gets him closer to fighting and/or killing Samus. Because unlike all the other major Nintendo villains who only view defeating their archenemies as removing the primary obstacle in their conquests, defeating Samus is Ridley's purpose in life, and cares little for anything else other than death & destruction for their own sake. He only really sticks with the Pirates for the mayhem he gets to cause with them and knowing that being with them will inevitably have him cross paths with Samus again.

Both times he appeared in the original Subspace Emissary, it was to try & kill Samus (& friends), unlike the other villains who were pursuing their own agendas separate from the heroes. Whether a threat like Tabuu will be enough to get him to work with Samus remains to be seen... but he's shown to be perfectly willing to risk ending his own life if it means Samus dies with him, as seen in Prime 3.

Last edited:

somekirbyguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
somekirbyguy
Switch FC
SW-4422-7966-6303
what was the reason we never got krool. has sakurai ever given an answer to why he was just a costume in 4 and not a playable character. Im pretty sure he was in the top 5 in the dlc ballot.
If it's true that Bayo was in development just weeks into the ballot, then I doubt the ballot was for anything more than Mii costumes/considerations for the next game

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
defeating Samus is Ridley's purpose in life, and cares little for anything else other than death & destruction for their own sake.
As a high ranking officer in the Pirates, it's his job to further the Space Pirate cause however far he can and at whatever cost. Samus just happens to be such a dangerous threat that Ridley must do whatever it takes to destroy her, and devotes all of his attention to killing her because he knows she's the largest threat. That's probably why he focused solely on killing Samus in Subspace. Not accurate to say he "only sticks with the Pirates for the mayhem and knowing he'll run into Samus" lol he's their commander.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As a high ranking officer in the Pirates, it's his job to further the Space Pirate cause however far he can and at whatever cost. Samus just happens to be such a dangerous threat that Ridley must do whatever it takes to destroy her, and devotes all of his attention to killing her because he knows she's the largest threat. That's probably why he focused solely on killing Samus in Subspace. Not accurate to say he "only sticks with the Pirates for the mayhem and knowing he'll run into Samus" lol he's their commander.
And I'm sure he's very good at his job. But there are no Pirates in Subspace Emissary. Are you saying that the shadowbug creatures are supposed to be standing in for them? Because if not, what other reason is there for singling out Samus other than pure spite? Has he ever stated that his (not Mother Brain-conditioned) ultimate goal is Pirate supremacy? What I do know is that Samus's mere existence galls him to no end, just because she had the AUDACITY to SURVIVE one of his rampages.

In Other M, he has a station of Zebesians at his disposal, but doesn't do squat with them, probably because he knows they're completely disorganized without Mother Brain and thus not worth his time anymore. Where's the devotion to Pirate cause here? Not to mention the less-than-ideal for the Pirates tactical decisions he made regarding Samus on Tallon IV that was already mentioned in th social.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It'll be odd for him to be included in any kind of story mode because of his shrunk size. Notice in the Ultimate trailer that Ridley is never shown in the same shot as anyone. It gives the impression of his size and power, without showing his new proportions, which would make it look a little silly.

The same problem would apply to a new story mode. This is a character that's supposed to be large enough to pick Samus up off the ground and scrape her against a wall and knock the Blue Falcon around. But now he's been altered to be playable, and is only a little larger than Bowser (at least in his hunched stance). Having him stand next to Ganondorf without being like two or three times larger would give a kind of warped impression of the character. He's a boss character through-and-through.

Of course, I'm super excited that Ridley is playable and think his representation in Ultimate is absolutely perfect. I have my Ridley Amiibo preordered and everything. But it's obvious to see why Sakurai was so hesitant to make him a playable character for so long.

Although, for the purposes of a story mode, it's important to remember that the characters are all trophies, hence why Olimar is so much larger. So in-universe it would work out just fine, I suppose, as his proportions would be naturally shrunk to fit alongside the other characters in the same format.

He's popular, but not completely relevant (apparently hasn't been in a game in a while). The Mii costume was recognizing the character's popularity and significance, but the DLC fighters were reserved for characters that would have a bigger impact, like Ryu and Cloud. But now that Ridley is added, K. Rool is the new most requested character, and I expect he'll be in Ultimate one way or another.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It'll be odd for him to be included in any kind of story mode because of his shrunk size. Notice in the Ultimate trailer that Ridley is never shown in the same shot as anyone. It gives the impression of his size and power, without showing his new proportions, which would make it look a little silly.

The same problem would apply to a new story mode. This is a character that's supposed to be large enough to pick Samus up off the ground and scrape her against a wall and knock the Blue Falcon around. But now he's been altered to be playable, and is only a little larger than Bowser (at least in his hunched stance). Having him stand next to Ganondorf without being like two or three times larger would give a kind of warped impression of the character. He's a boss character through-and-through.

Of course, I'm super excited that Ridley is playable and think his representation in Ultimate is absolutely perfect. I have my Ridley Amiibo preordered and everything. But it's obvious to see why Sakurai was so hesitant to make him a playable character for so long.

Although, for the purposes of a story mode, it's important to remember that the characters are all trophies, hence why Olimar is so much larger. So in-universe it would work out just fine, I suppose, as his proportions would be naturally shrunk to fit alongside the other characters in the same format.

He's popular, but not completely relevant (apparently hasn't been in a game in a while). The Mii costume was recognizing the character's popularity and significance, but the DLC fighters were reserved for characters that would have a bigger impact, like Ryu and Cloud. But now that Ridley is added, K. Rool is the new most requested character, and I expect he'll be in Ultimate one way or another.
Except you can clearly see both Ridley and Samus in the moment he busts through the walkway (that feat alone should tell you how strong he is regardless of size). Ridley is closer to the camera in this instance, but you can still tell he's smaller than his usual appearances. Personally I feel that a smaller Ridley will give him a chance to demonstrate his intelligence when he can't always brute force his problems away with size & strength.

Also the ship he knocks around is called the Falcon Flyer, not the Blue Falcon which the captain races in.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
And I'm sure he's very good at his job. But there are no Pirates in Subspace Emissary. Are you saying that the shadowbug creatures are supposed to be standing in for them? Because if not, what other reason is there for singling out Samus other than pure spite? Has he ever stated that his (not Mother Brain-conditioned) ultimate goal is Pirate supremacy? What I do know is that Samus's mere existence galls him to no end, just because she had the AUDACITY to SURVIVE one of his rampages.
He's a Commander in the Subspace Army in Smash. He knows Samus is the largest threat of the protagonists (as far as he knows) because he knows Samus' strength from fighting her. It's not spite, its prioritizing what he thinks is the largest threat to the Subspace Army.

In Other M, he has a station of Zebesians at his disposal, but doesn't do squat with them, probably because he knows they're completely disorganized without Mother Brain and thus not worth his time anymore. Where's the devotion to Pirate cause here? Not to mention the less-than-ideal for the Pirates tactical decisions he made regarding Samus on Tallon IV that was already mentioned in th social.
That's not even the real Ridley, that's Clone Ridley, who might not even know what "Space Pirates" are. And even if he makes mistakes tactically that doesn't mean he's not for the Pirate cause.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He's a Commander in the Subspace Army in Smash. He knows Samus is the largest threat of the protagonists (as far as he knows) because he knows Samus' strength from fighting her. It's not spite, its prioritizing what he thinks is the largest threat to the Subspace Army.

That's not even the real Ridley, that's Clone Ridley, who might not even know what "Space Pirates" are. And even if he makes mistakes tactically that doesn't mean he's not for the Pirate cause.
He's ''in for the cause'' inasmuch as it happens to align with his own goals. How do you think he'd feel if the Pirates actually won and he had nothing left to kill or properly terrorize?

One final piece of evidence against his devotion are his actions in the beginning of Super. He raids the colony for the baby Metroid and... just sits there waiting for Samus to come, instead of departing right away and leaving her none the wiser on who performed the theft. Maybe that would only delay her arrival with Pirates being the prime suspects, but there's still no tactical benefit to the Pirate's operations on Zebes in leading Samus there whatsoever, unless his only goal was to kill her and nothing else. Couldn't he have at least waited for the Pirates to have their Metroid army to fight Samus with?

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Except you can clearly see both Ridley and Samus in the moment he busts through the walkway (that feat alone should tell you how strong he is regardless of size). Ridley is closer to the camera in this instance, but you can still tell he's smaller than his usual appearances. Personally I feel that a smaller Ridley will give him a chance to demonstrate his intelligence when he can't always brute force his problems away with size & strength.

Also the ship he knocks around is called the Falcon Flyer, not the Blue Falcon which the captain races in.
Yes, but that shot is a clever use of perspective. It's close to Ridley and from a low angle, so he appears larger than his actual size for this game. It's similar to shots used in kaiju movies, like Godzilla, where they're able to make a man in a suit look like a 100 meter tall monster. Put any character in that position and they'd look huge relative to Samus's position in the shot. The same principle is used in his splash screen ("Hits the Big Time!") to make him look, well, big, despite not being all too large in the actual game.

I've watched a bunch of reaction videos to the Direct, and at that part in particular, I think at least two separate people were temporarily convinced, based on those early parts of the trailer, that Ridley was somehow gonna be way bigger, like possibly Pyrosphere sized. As though Sakurai had just said "Screw it" and just made the Ridley from Brawl or Smash Wii U a playable character. But then the gameplay starts, and they see he's resized to be smaller. It's almost like a bait and switch to mess with your expectations, given that the cinematic part of the trailer makes him appear larger reasonable for a character.

I agree with you that the smaller Ridley opens up some opportunities to display his intelligence, rather than just his raw size and power. Not sure how we'll see that play out in the game, given that there won't be a story mode. Speaking of which, Smash Wii U's intro screen was comprised of all the cinematic trailers for the game, but we only have one so far for Smash Ultimate, and the game is less than 5 months away. I wonder how we'll see Ridley appear in any future trailers?

Oh yeah, it is the Falcon Flyer. Got confused because the stage is called Big Blue. But that's the name of the racetrack, and not anything to do with the ship. I'm not an F-Zero expert, that's for sure.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
He's ''in for the cause'' inasmuch as it happens to align with his own goals. How do you think he'd feel if the Pirates actually won and he had nothing left to kill or properly terrorize?
Well there's a whole galaxy and universe so it's not like the Pirates would ever run out of places to raid and people to kill.

One final piece of evidence against his devotion are his actions in the beginning of Super. He raids the colony for the baby Metroid and... just sits there waiting for Samus to come, instead of departing right away and leaving her none the wiser on who performed the theft. Maybe that would only delay her arrival with Pirates being the prime suspects, but there's still no tactical benefit to the Pirate's operations on Zebes in leading Samus there whatsoever, unless his only goal was to kill her and nothing else. Couldn't he have at least waited for the Pirates to have their Metroid army to fight Samus with?
I don't think Ridley cared at all if people knew it was him or not, and it's not like people wouldn't have figured it out if he had left instead of sticking around. It wasn't exactly a covert operation or anything. He wanted the Baby Metroid for the Pirates and knew Samus would show up to stop him. He probably figured it was a good opportunity to fight her and try to damage/kill her, and he was correct in doing so.

Just because he targets Samus deliberately and goes out of his way to kill her or to lure her to him, or does things and likely knows it'll involve or alert Samus, doesn't mean that he's doing it out of spite or that "his only reason to live is to kill her." I mean, Ridley was killing and raiding with the Pirates long before he knew Samus even existed, and that's still what he's doing. He just devotes a lot of time and resources to going after Samus because historically Samus has been the greatest threat to him and the Pirates. That's not spite or a sole purpose to live.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Well there's a whole galaxy and universe so it's not like the Pirates would ever run out of places to raid and people to kill.

I don't think Ridley cared at all if people knew it was him or not, and it's not like people wouldn't have figured it out if he had left instead of sticking around. It wasn't exactly a covert operation or anything. He wanted the Baby Metroid for the Pirates and knew Samus would show up to stop him. He probably figured it was a good opportunity to fight her and try to damage/kill her, and he was correct in doing so.

Just because he targets Samus deliberately and goes out of his way to kill her or to lure her to him, or does things and likely knows it'll involve or alert Samus, doesn't mean that he's doing it out of spite or that "his only reason to live is to kill her." I mean, Ridley was killing and raiding with the Pirates long before he knew Samus even existed, and that's still what he's doing. He just devotes a lot of time and resources to going after Samus because historically Samus has been the greatest threat to him and the Pirates. That's not spite or a sole purpose to live.
size was never an important trait of ridley, his new model is just as ridley as the tall ridley

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Really it'll be a treat just to see how Ridley interacts with someone, anyone that isn't Samus or maybe Mother Brain.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
size was never an important trait of ridley, his new model is just as ridley as the tall ridley
Well Ridley being a big space dragon monster is an important trait of being Ridley, so I wouldn't say that, but I do agree that Ultimate Ridley is as every much like Ridley in the games/manga. He just so happens to be not as gargantuan.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And I'm sure he's very good at his job. But there are no Pirates in Subspace Emissary. Are you saying that the shadowbug creatures are supposed to be standing in for them?
It's quite possible that Ridley would form a team of space pirates. Koopas were part of the Sub-space Army, as was Bowser. Besides, space pirates aren't restricted to Zebesians. Kihunters are from a different galactic system. Samus was also offered a position as a space pirate. (I don't remember which volume or chapter.) This means Ridley could command a group and dub them "space pirates".

Because if not, what other reason is there for singling out Samus other than pure spite? Has he ever stated that his (not Mother Brain-conditioned) ultimate goal is Pirate supremacy?
It seems Ridley does his own thing and if Samus shows up, he'll focus on her because of their history.

I doubt that. Ridley did fine commanding the Zebesians on his own, both on K-2L and on Ceres. His screeches alerted other organisms on the ship to attack in MOM. Ridley was, for the most part, in development. He didn't have time gathering Zebesians.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Ridley would eat the souls of the dead for Nourishment, thanks to Death from Castlevania

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf acts 'kingly' and like combat is above him, and Bowser basically pretends to be Ganondorf. Ridley however has no issues unleashing his feral side. I see him being the bruiser of the top villains - staying behind to combat while the others make off. I would like to see this balanced with his cunning, however. He wouldn't take kindly to receiving orders, as Bowser did, and would expect (and likely be able to command - unlike, say, Wario) a position of primary power among the villains.

Some Ridley/Wolf interaction might be nice too seeing as they're both space pirates, of a sort. Picture a dogfight in space — Wolf commands a small armada of ships toward the heroes, and just as we think the fight looks to be even, out from behind the armada comes Ridley, flying with more power and dexterity than any ship could hope to achieve. Kino.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For storytelling sake, nothing about a second Subspace should feel like its a bare addition to the first... the entire mode would be most encouraging to play if the premise of the SE2 is a unique story. Not just version 1.5

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Maybe for world of light

The real Ridley chained up like mario

That hat ever stuff makes the evil version but bigger and a spirit takes over that Ridley and the boss fight commences (other m Ridley concept is what I’m saying)

After the fight they free the real Ridley

hollywill06

Smash Rookie
I chosen the very secret 4th ending where galeem and dharkon decided to redeem

Top Bottom