• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would make for a good Gaming PC?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
This is a subject that has been nagging at me for a while (mostly because my computer and modem are badly out of date) and something I really wish I could do if I had a job. Problems aside, I've been having trouble getting good parts based on criteria. I have a decent idea for a CPU, GPU, and SSD (from the respective boss sites), but not much else. here are the parts:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K
GPU: ZOTAC Geforce GTX 970
SSD: Crucial M500 960GB
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR3
Power Supply: Seasonic 860W 80+ Platinum Modular Gaming PSU

Not included are input devices and a monitor, they are not my concern not. The above is for a desktop.

Total cost: $1835.56

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Are you sure you absolutely need an SSD for everything? Most people that I know run a 128gb SSD for booting their OS and have a 1TB+ HDD(s) for games.

You'll also likely want an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. I've heard good things of the Hyper 212 Evo.

And I'd also recommend making this a part list on pcpartpicker. Not only does it make it easier for others to look at, it shows all compatibility errors that might occur, along with the lowest price for each item. Amazon isn't always the cheapest.

Other things:
Do you need a copy of windows or do you already own one? Peripherals? (Monitor, M+KB, Headphones, etc.)
Do you plan on overclocking?
Are you going to use the PC for anything besides gaming? (Video editing/rendering, 3d-modeling, etc.)

Arconix raises some good points. I'm gonna offer some advice under the assumption that you're not going to use this for something like 3D modelling and heavy video editing.

Don't go with an SSD, at least not as your main drive. The benefits of doing so over a regular hard drive aren't substantial enough considering the price - especially for games. All you're gonna get are slightly faster load times. Get a decently-sized HDD, add an SSD later if you want.

Also, don't go for an i7. Something like an i5 will get you all you need for running games. CPUs also age a lot slower than GPUs, so you don't need to worry about it becoming outdated within a year. For example, I've been running an i5-3570k for like, 3 years and it's had absolutely no trouble.

And yeah, you should assemble this stuff on PCPartPicker. You'll also want to look into better cases, since that Antec is kinda lame for the price. I recommend checking out Fractal's Define R5 (the follow-up to the R4, which was frequently cited as one of the best cases ever). The PSU also might be a little overkill for a single-GPU system, so look into the total power requirements for your system. Don't worry so much about the rating either - as long as it's 80 Plus certified, it's probably alright.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Don't go with an SSD, at least not as your main drive. The benefits of doing so over a regular hard drive aren't substantial enough considering the price - especially for games. All you're gonna get are slightly faster load times. Get a decently-sized HDD, add an SSD later if you want.
Dude, SSDs are godlike. They don't need to be defragged and because they aren't mechanical, they don't degrade like HDDs do.

Also faster boot times and faster read/write speeds for moving files around etc is awesome. Then again workflow is important to me so idk. Also if he plans on using Dolphin, i7 might be a decent choice over i5, although from what I've heard i5s are pretty good for that too, but you'd have to check which one.

I'm surprised nobody's commented on the RAM amount, 16 will be fine for games, and memory prices constantly fall so it's usually cheaper to get as much as you need then add more as is needed. Then again if you wanna future proof why not, 32GB will be necessary if you're doing lots of video editing and content creation.

New generation chipsets are coming out soon, if they haven't been released already. You might want to wait to see how they perform before dropping close to 2k on a rig. If your budget is that high, you can afford to wait a bit and see what the latesst generation of chips from Intel and nvidia have to offer.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Are you sure you absolutely need an SSD for everything? Most people that I know run a 128gb SSD for booting their OS and have a 1TB+ HDD(s) for games.

You'll also likely want an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. I've heard good things of the Hyper 212 Evo.

And I'd also recommend making this a part list on pcpartpicker. Not only does it make it easier for others to look at, it shows all compatibility errors that might occur, along with the lowest price for each item. Amazon isn't always the cheapest.

Other things:
Do you need a copy of windows or do you already own one? Peripherals? (Monitor, M+KB, Headphones, etc.)
Do you plan on overclocking?
Are you going to use the PC for anything besides gaming? (Video editing/rendering, 3d-modeling, etc.)
I chose the SSD for the speed and the M500 model because of the value per GB

I was trying to save money on coolers by choosing a case with preinstalled cooling that wasn't a Rosewill

I thought of using part picker, but the website was having slowdown and I was getting the parts off Amazon since I was on there at the time trying to search for Modems to replace my old one.

I own a copy of Windows 8.1 that I upgraded to 10
Yes, I plan to overclock
Besides Gaming, I usually use the computer and my tablet to read manga. Sometimes, my dad uses it to stream PPVs.

Arconix raises some good points. I'm gonna offer some advice under the assumption that you're not going to use this for something like 3D modelling and heavy video editing.

Also, don't go for an i7. Something like an i5 will get you all you need for running games. CPUs also age a lot slower than GPUs, so you don't need to worry about it becoming outdated within a year. For example, I've been running an i5-3570k for like, 3 years and it's had absolutely no trouble.

And yeah, you should assemble this stuff on PCPartPicker. You'll also want to look into better cases, since that Antec is kinda lame for the price. I recommend checking out Fractal's Define R5 (the follow-up to the R4, which was frequently cited as one of the best cases ever). The PSU also might be a little overkill for a single-GPU system, so look into the total power requirements for your system. Don't worry so much about the rating either - as long as it's 80 Plus certified, it's probably alright.
I've proven back at Diamond that I suck at drawing and video editing

The SSD was chosen for the value and being inexpensive for its capacity. Mainly future proofing and being able to upgrade later

I chose that specific i7 since it is the best for gaming (according to CPUBoss0

The case choice was made for the included fans, but I think a better choice could be made, PCpartpicker also tends to induce lag on my Computer. I used Amazon because I was on there at the time.

PSU is for future proofing and a friend on the Planetside forums said that PSUs from Antec, SeaSonic, and XFX are the best ones.
Dude, SSDs are godlike. They don't need to be defragged and because they aren't mechanical, they don't degrade like HDDs do.

Also faster boot times and faster read/write speeds for moving files around etc is awesome. Then again workflow is important to me so idk. Also if he plans on using Dolphin, i7 might be a decent choice over i5, although from what I've heard i5s are pretty good for that too, but you'd have to check which one.

I'm surprised nobody's commented on the RAM amount, 16 will be fine for games, and memory prices constantly fall so it's usually cheaper to get as much as you need then add more as is needed. Then again if you wanna future proof why not, 32GB will be necessary if you're doing lots of video editing and content creation.

New generation chipsets are coming out soon, if they haven't been released already. You might want to wait to see how they perform before dropping close to 2k on a rig. If your budget is that high, you can afford to wait a bit and see what the latesst generation of chips from Intel and nvidia have to offer.
Yeah, the defrags I had to do after downloads are a pain.

I have shown interest in emulators if mostly for the mods

Like you said, the RAM (Max amount for the MOBO I chose) is for future proofing.

I don't have the budget, but if two more people in my house get a job (including me), we might be able to get it.

As for the new generation, they have a new CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Boxed-I5-6600K-Processor-BX80662I56600K/dp/B012M8M7TY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441655265&sr=1-3&refinements=p_89:Intel

Last edited:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
I was trying to save money on coolers by choosing a case with preinstalled cooling that wasn't a Rosewill

Yes, I plan to overclock
These two sentences contradict. If you're overclocking, you NEED a cpu cooler.

And still, putting your part list on pcpartpicker will help. Again, it shows the cheapest place to get all of your parts, amazon might not be it.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
You don't need a nearly $2K PC.
Considering a monitor isn't a big worry of yours, I'm assuming you're going to be at 1080p.
An i7 will give you a comically negligible difference in gaming, so go with an i5 (6600k)
32gb of RAM is absolutely pointless for game performance. Max 16gb for gaming PCs, nothing higher.
An SSD that huge is good, obviously, but you'd be better off with a 1TB HDD and something like a 250-500gb SSD.
860w is insane overkill for a 970.
I run a 500w PSU with my 970 and it's absolutely fine. (Most other people do)
Though if you want to you could go up to 600w, but 860w is pointless.
Just some advice

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
You don't need a nearly $2K PC.
Considering a monitor isn't a big worry of yours, I'm assuming you're going to be at 1080p.
An i7 will give you a comically negligible difference in gaming, so go with an i5 (6600k)
32gb of RAM is absolutely pointless for game performance. Max 16gb for gaming PCs, nothing higher.
An SSD that huge is good, obviously, but you'd be better off with a 1TB HDD and something like a 250-500gb SSD.
860w is insane overkill for a 970.
I run a 500w PSU with my 970 and it's absolutely fine. (Most other people do)
Though if you want to you could go up to 600w, but 860w is pointless.
Just some advice
The Monitor I have is good enough for now
I went with the CPUboss CPU. My normal choice is the i5 4690k
I went with the Ram for a future proof build
I was thinking of reusing my old HDD (500GB) and get the 240 M500 SSD. This was in case I can't reuse it.
My thought on it was mostly so I can make upgrades in the future.

A lot of the ideas are what I got off the Planetside forums (and I made it late at night.) but i think I can adjust it.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6zNdVn

This is the pcpartpicker list after making edits.

This is all assuming I am building it completely from scratch which means I didn't have the following before

My headphones (Sennheiser HD201S)
My speakers (Compaq Harmon Kardon JBL Platinum Series SP08A11)
My mouse (HP N910U)
My keyboard (HP SK 2085)
My monitor (Gateway HD2200 22" 4ms 1680x1050)

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
VERY solid build. All I can say now is that if you want to get a new keyboard, pick up a mechanical one instead.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/st4cnQ

Keyboard is now the Orion by Logitech (Chroma by Razer too pricey)
GTX 980 Superclocked by EVGA

To add on to the Computer topic, I was also looking up two different Laptops that piqued my interest if I was to drive to a friend's house. I'd need a job if I was to get any of these, though. Since I didn't go to College yet due to missing my chance this year because of money issues*, I'd have trouble landing a computer job. Good thing I got a resume from Diamond Oaks and I worked at a help desk for a week in internship. Just wish getting the birth certificate from downtown wasn't being put off.

Laptops

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DB72-17-3-Inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00YR6BNVS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-18-4-Inch-GT80-TITAN-SLI-255/dp/B00YPB3JVC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

*Money issues are due to money being wasted on beer and fast food. My dad is a drinker and kinda lazy when it comes to cooking food.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/st4cnQ

Keyboard is now the Orion by Logitech (Chroma by Razer too pricey)
GTX 980 Superclocked by EVGA

To add on to the Computer topic, I was also looking up two different Laptops that piqued my interest if I was to drive to a friend's house. I'd need a job if I was to get any of these, though. Since I didn't go to College yet due to missing my chance this year because of money issues*, I'd have trouble landing a computer job. Good thing I got a resume from Diamond Oaks and I worked at a help desk for a week in internship. Just wish getting the birth certificate from downtown wasn't being put off.

Laptops

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DB72-17-3-Inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00YR6BNVS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-18-4-Inch-GT80-TITAN-SLI-255/dp/B00YPB3JVC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

*Money issues are due to money being wasted on beer and fast food. My dad is a drinker and kinda lazy when it comes to cooking food.
Don't get an Orion. It says it's a mech keyboard and is, but it feels exactly like a membrane is just generally bad-feeling.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Don't get an Orion. It says it's a mech keyboard and is, but it feels exactly like a membrane and is just generally bad-feeling.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
A peculiar habit of mine is to check the Amazon store page of each item to run it through fakespot just to make sure that most of the reviews aren't full of crap. Results posted (wish some were updated, though)

CPU: 0% out of 15 reviews
CPU Cooler: 0% out of 1355 reviews
Motherboard: No data
RAM: 15% out of 36 reviews
SSD: 0% out of 2575 reviews
HDD: 10% out of 22 reviews
GPU: 10% out of 493 reviews
Case: No data
PSU: 0% out of 24 reviews
Optic Drive: 0% out of 1769
Monitor: 7% out of 202 reviews
Keyboard: 23% out of 801 reviews
Mouse: 30% out of 473 reviews
Headphones: 14% out of 2183 reviews
Speakers: 7% out of 951 reviews

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Damn son that's a pricey total. @___@

Then again mine was too, but I have an i7 (for music production where it's actually justified lol)

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Damn son that's a pricey total. @___@

Then again mine was too, but I have an i7 (for music production where it's actually justified lol)
$1131.93 comes from the parts that are upgrades to stuff I already have (Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers, Headphones)

Otherwise, it would be $1591.12

The upgrades

Sennheiser HD201S headphones
Audio Technica M50X headphones

Compaq HK JBL Platinum Series SP08A11 2ch speakers
HK Soundsticks III 2.1ch speakers

HP N910U mouse
Steelseries Sensei RAW mouse

HP SK 2085 keyboard
Logitech G710 Plus keyboard

Gateway HD2200 22" 4ms 1680x1050 76hz monitor
ASUS ROG PG278Q 27" 1ms 2560x1440 144hz G-SYNC monitor

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I need a gaming PC that lets me take advantage of all this bandwidth my internet company is providing me. :grin:

This is an awesome topic because I'm considering building a high-end rig so I can play Tribes: Ascend.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I need a gaming PC that lets me take advantage of all this bandwidth my internet company is providing me. :grin:

This is an awesome topic because I'm considering building a high-end rig so I can play Tribes: Ascend.
Bro I haven't had stable internet for over 3 days now and you wouldn't believe how much this pisses me off

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm waiting for them to hurry up and bring 1000mbps to my area :/

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Here's the router I have.

The fastest internet speed we can get in my zip code is 100mbs 30mbs from Cincinnati Bell. I'm stuck with Time Warner standard plan.

I guess that adds a lot of things to the Gaming PC list

New custom built gaming rig to replace my HP 110-210
New 4k monitor to replace my 1680x1050p HD monitor
New 2.1 speakers to replace my 2 speakers that are falling apart
New Gaming keyboard to replace my dusty keyboard
New Gaming mouse to replace my mouse with a screwy scroll wheel
New Audio Technica headphones to replace my Sennheiser headphones (they will be music)
New Router to make a repeater with my current one
New Modem to replace my crappy one that cuts out
New Service plan for when I get enough money to get gigabit internet.

Edit: Just realized my area has a 100mbs 20mbs plan by Cinci Bell for $85 a month. Gonna be a while before I get it, though.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Also, I'm still bothered that the nearest electronic stores are still fairly far away from my house

Target: 15 minutes away
Best Buy: 16 minutes away
Micro Center: 33 minutes away in Sharonville
Fry's Electronics: Almost 2 hours away in Indiana

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Also, I'm still bothered that the nearest electronic stores are still fairly far away from my house

Target: 15 minutes away
Best Buy: 16 minutes away
Micro Center: 33 minutes away in Sharonville
Fry's Electronics: Almost 2 hours away in Indiana
Microcenter is BEYOND worth a half hour drive.
It's at least a 2 hour drive from where I live and damn is it worth it

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Microcenter is BEYOND worth a half hour drive.
It's at least a 2 hour drive from where I live and damn is it worth it
'Cept it involves driving through Springdale, arguably the most dangerous part of that route.

I wonder if ordering parts online is a good idea

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
'Cept it involves driving through Springdale, arguably the most dangerous part of that route.

I wonder if ordering parts online is a good idea
I ordered all of my parts online when I built my PC. Microcenter has great prices in-store, but I just didn't have money for parts when I went there. Buying parts online can get you deals beyond the level of Microcenter.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I want the same Origin gaming PC that SSSniperWolf got! :chuckle:

She got that due to sponsorship deals. The video is little more than an advertisement for Origin. I recreated the build and the cost comes in at $7,663

Checked the video desccription and she has sponsorships with:

Astro
G fuel (why does one need a gaming energy drink? The bottles of cola in the fridge suffice)
GT Omega Racing
Razer

Origin is now on the list

That's the problem I have with unboxing videos done by big youtubers. They aren't so much reviewers of the product as they are shills.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
She got that due to sponsorship deals. The video is little more than an advertisement for Origin. I recreated the build and the cost comes in at $7,663

That's the problem I have with unboxing videos done by big youtubers. They aren't so much reviewers of the product as they are shills.
OMG, do people really pay that kind of money for gaming PC's?!

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
OMG, do people really pay that kind of money for gaming PC's?!
Pre built, yeah. Building a PC yourself costs much less (and the build in the video above is total overkill and mostly for video editing and gaming at the same time)

For a sponsorship deal, it is free as long as you do a video that involves unboxing the product and kissing the brand's ass. In other words, be a shill (which is illegal) to get a free product.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Pre built, yeah. Building a PC yourself costs much less (and the build in the video above is total overkill and mostly for video editing and gaming at the same time)

For a sponsorship deal, it is free as long as you do a video that involves unboxing the product and kissing the brand's ***. In other words, be a shill (which is illegal) to get a free product.
I feel you. I hate when people pretend to be legit only to shill for somebody that's paying them. From now on I'm only going to ogle SSSniperWolf's body and not buy any of the products she promotes. :lol:

Top Bottom