• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would having both airdodges do to the game?

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
I was thinking earlier about how by default, both L and R are shield and by extension airdodge

What if L was set to Brawl airdodge and R was set to Melee airdodge. How hard would this fit the meta? Would this add any sort of depth, due to more options? What if Melee airdodge could only be used once in the air until you land?

This is just my idle curiosity but I just wanna hear other's thoughts :T

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the engine. Wavedashing is pretty aight but in an engine where groundgame is poop (brawl/4) it kinda lacks a purpose.

If you go on the melee engine you get a free attempt to break combos. Which depending on the character could lead into a reversal which would make certain parts of the combo game rely on reads rather than just be guaranteed which in turn would make the punishgame weaker. This in turn means characters with a good neutral get buffed somewhat. Which would get complaints about spaceys being op af (mind you this is not exactly false statements if they lose the disadvantage of being hit harder than the average character) and it would get the melee ers who play said spaceys to hate on the brawl like combo breakers for making rewards on hit less rewarding.

or something like that.

Last edited:

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
I know fox has something similar to this in brawl minus... I don't know how I would feel about it being added to project m.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It'd be a pretty powerful defensive option to add. Especially if it retains how Brawl let you airdodge right out of hitstun.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It would be better of it wasn't Brawl's given how you can act out if am airdodges.

Just make it Smash 4's with some tweaking on frames so they also can't airdodge into the ground stupidly safe like in Brawl unless you had a lingering hitbox like Lucario or they do it predictably.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Against. If there is to be a momentumless airdodge, it shouldn't allow actions afterward, especially additional air dodges or attacks. As an option when coming down or as a desperation dodge, maybe, but even being able to fastfall with invulnerability sounds both stupidly safe and like a crutch against having to actually learn how to deal with momentum being taken by your opponent.

Last edited:

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
Against. If there is to be a momentumless airdodge, it shouldn't allow actions afterward, especially additional air dodges or attacks. As an option when coming down or as a desperation dodge, maybe, but even being able to fastfall with invulnerability sounds both stupidly safe and like a crutch against having to actually learn how to deal with momentum being taken by your opponent.
it wasn't really much of a suggestion as opposed to a "what if" sort of deal, haha
i couldn't imagine the collateral damage if it were added

Top Bottom