• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would happen to the community after sakurai retires?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I didn't know we're to ask these so I went ahead and posted here since its the latest Smash game
For me I hope the community presses on

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Everyone will thank him for his work. Everyone will always remember him as the man who made the game we love...

But if the next game is quality (key here)... Smash will live on as Sakuri surely wants it to. It will be his legacy long after his career is over... and the community will keep going.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
I think the community is large enough to be self-sustaining at this point, I mean look at Melee it's been going strong for years.

Sakurai or no Sakurai people will continue to play and enjoy Smash for a long time, though, in this game's case, if he were to retire while leaving the game in a bad state it would probably suffer dearly since balance patches are so essential to it.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Nintendo will start making Smash Bros and replace great characters that aren't nintendo stars (Such as Jigglypuff/Mewtwo/Lucario, Duck Hunt, Rob, Pac-Man, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and it keeps going on and on) and replace them with characters such as Pink Gold Peach.

Either that, or they do a great job.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Nintendo will start making Smash Bros and replace great characters that aren't nintendo stars (Such as Jigglypuff/Mewtwo/Lucario, Duck Hunt, Rob, Pac-Man, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and it keeps going on and on) and replace them with characters such as Pink Gold Peach.

Either that, or they do a great job.
Actually did you know Mewtwo is the second most known Pokemon in the world making it a star of NINTENDO

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Sakurai has about 20 potential job years left or so, unless he quits pre-maturely.
I guess you're talking about whatever is next for Smash Bros, right?

Blergh, all these threads about whatever's next.
Nintendo will probably make more Smash Bros. Or they won't, and we'll make do with the games we have now. Or we won't.

FortranFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
TanookiOcarina
3DS FC
0387-9346-6055
Or if we're so desperate about a new Smash Bros., the title of director can go to someone else who's willing.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Depends. If Sakurai decides to pass on the title of director to a worthy successor, it could go well. Otherwise, we're ****ed.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Depends. If Sakurai decides to pass on the title of director to a worthy successor, it could go well. Otherwise, we're ****ed.
This could be a problem... to many great series throughout gaming history went down the toilet when they were changed to much... yet can't be scared to innovate either..

Hopefully whoever succeeds him will do good things.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
We thank Sakurai, continue playing his Smash games and nervously await the next Smash Bros, which is inevitably made with a new director.

The community becomes fractured over Sakurai Vs. new directors separate visions.
(Almost guaranteed since seemingly every decision seems to fracture the community to some extent.)

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I was kind of expecting it to happen at the end of the last Nintendo Direct, and was shocked when it didn't.

However, I think there is always the possibility that a new Smash game after Soccer Guy retires will be aimed more at a competitive scene, as well as a family scene, like Melee (aka the best game ever made by accident)

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Or a new Smash game will be announced that is exclusive to Fire Emblem characters, and will be more like Tekken.

In the year 20XX, Nintendo announces Super Smash Brothers: Fire Emblekken

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
I feel like even if the next director were to make a Smash Bros. that we all know and love... people would hate it because it's not "sakurai".

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
We'll keep mindlessly smacking each other for two minutes long after Sakurai retires, while making an uproar on who should be next of kin.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I'd be happy as hell if Sakurai retired. I'd throw a party. I don't know about everybody else though.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
If sakurai retires someone who works with sakurai who is inspired by Melee can put Smash in a competive sence

lstair

Smash Rookie
NNID
N/A
Probably nothing, maybe a new person can try to get smash into an even bigger competitive scene.
And more DLC characters

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Of course he is bound to retire or at least step down for awhile when it comes to Smash given how thoroughly exhausting it is to produce from the planning stages to the very end. But people better be careful what they wish for; if the next Smash iteration had drastic character cuts and less additions and modes than ever before with a new developer, well...you know.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I'm personally hoping for someone who will cut out the fluff like trophies and game modes like that board game crap in the wii u version.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally hoping for someone who will cut out the fluff like trophies and game modes like that board game crap in the wii u version.
It will be interesting to see where his successor goes. IMO one of the greatest things about smash bros is how it can be both a great chaotic party game, and a tactical 1 vs 1/2vs 2 fighter. Street figher, Tekken, and those others... while good games that I am NOT trying to bash in any way, can't do that anywhere close to how Smash can.

I don't want to see either group lose out... while at the same time I don't want to see smash venture to far from it's core. (Sub Space Emissary for example... Hated that. Made from the ground up it could have been good, but shoving the smash engine into it, made difficulty scaling and the like horrible, and it got recitative fast, but many disagree.) There are plenty of decisions made I haven't liked... but Smash has become my favorite multi player series. New blood at the top could be great, or could be a mess. We shall see... this wouldn't be the first series that has been royally screwed up if it was.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Just a thought, but would it have to be someone who is Japanese? Yes, Smash is technically a Japanese fighting-fantasy game, but imagine if it were to be directed by a American or a German (if German's could make Smash is good as they do their cars, Smash would be gold). It would be interesting for someone of a different nationality to direct Smash.

Smash Cadet
If Smash goes to someone who understands the importance of competitive Smash, we might actually get wavedashing and L-canceling back!

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'd be a little worried for the future of Smash bros. since there's no way nintendo will stop making it just because Sakurai left...

Top Bottom