• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What will you do if there's no buffs?

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Jigglypuff hasn't been the brightest looking character for much of the whole game span. Considered one of the worst in the game, and possibly becoming worse overtime due to the lack of buffs and other low tiers getting those buffs soon.

There's even been jokes surrounding this topic in the social thread. As February approaches us, the final patch of the game will be released, and if there's no buffs,

That's it.

Jigglypuff has never been buffed ever, and my question is... How extreme is this to you? How extreme do you think this could be?

Would Jigglypuff now be considered the worst character? Would some of you quit playing her, or put her as a secondary, or pocket? Or would this not be a too big deal? Do you think we'll even get buffs?

Say what you want!!

I personally believe we won't be receiving any buffs. I don't think it's going to happen... And that's that.

Is this a big deal to me? It should be, but even if we get buffs, the damage has been done. Characters progressed and we didn't. If we don't get buffs, it's not going to change a lot unless the two upcoming characters are amazing, and then there's two more bad matchups. Though buffs can help, I don't think the lack of buffs on the final patch are going to hurt us a lot. If anything, previous patches were way worse (1.08 becuase of three added characters that all have good MUs against us), it's just that we could hope for buffs then, making it seem not as bad.

I would probably keep playing puff as my main, unless Corrin or Bayonetta are just the best characters ever (which they definitely won't be for me), or my secondaries just overpass Jigglypuff by a lot in which case I have a stronger chance regionally and nationally (which probably won't happen either).

Though it's bad we *might* not have ever gotten buffs based off my prediction, I think Jigglypuff still has a chance in the competitive community.

Last edited:

Crabbin

Smash Rookie
I don't think February is the last patch, just the last bunch of DLC and no more smash related announcements from Sakurai/Nintendo (In regards to this generation).

But if she doesn't get buffed then eh. I already use Sonic as well.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
If Jigglypuff doesn't get buffed, then the mains that are loyal to her will just have to develop her metagame on their own.

I plan on sticking with Jigglypuff as she's my favorite Smash character and she will remain the most huggable one. :4jigglypuff:

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
I shall always main puff. Except for brawl, because for some reason puff just didn't feel like puff to me.
Weirdly, a lot of characters didn't feel like themselves in Brawl. I still played Jiggs in that one though, but only out of loyalty. :4jigglypuff:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I'll pick up Villager as a secondary.
Well, I already have, but whatever.

IMO she's the actual worst character in the game, and to not buff her would be frankly insulting.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
I'll pick up Villager as a secondary.
Well, I already have, but whatever.

IMO she's the actual worst character in the game, and to not buff her would be frankly insulting.
I don't know. I think she could do with some buffs, but I wouldn't say she's the worst of the worst. I think that a character like Palutena is worse due to overall bad frame data.

Jigglypuff has tools, it's just that the way that they're fitted on to her character and the drawbacks she has makes them not as obvious. Again, I'm not saying she is a terrific character, but I am saying that compared to characters like Palutena, she is better off. Even more so with the universal banning of customs.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
At least Palutena has actual throw mixups and a reliable kill move. And somewhat good smashes. And a good ground speed.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
At least Palutena has actual throw mixups and a reliable kill move. And somewhat good smashes. And a good ground speed.
Palutena suffers from a lot; her smashes do decent damage and her usmash is great for hitting people up high. But when you have frame data that is very similar (and in some cases, worse) then heavyweight characters without the copious amounts of killing power, it's hard to use those options. All of her smash attacks suffer from heavy startup and ending lag; all of them rank in the worst ending lag for smash attacks meaning they are always unsafe. She has no "get off me" moves (jab comes out on frame 8 and all of her tilts have lousy startup and recovery). Her Counter is lacking in range; it has a decent multiplier, but not any significant knockback.

Palutena, IMHO, is a character designed to use customs. Her default special moveset, without a doubt, is probably one of the worst movesets in the game. Autoreticle is easily dodged (though I do give it credit for being able to jab lock), Reflect Barrier is inferior to most other reflector/absorption special moves in the game, Warp is okay but there are many better Up-B specials. If you play a strong turtle game with Palutena, then she can do okay, but any character who can get around her turtle game like Sheik or other zonebreakers ruin her and there are charcters who can play a much better defensive game than her (Mewtwo, Duck Hunt, Link, and Villager come to mind).

Jigglypuff may have issues but her game isn't utterly crippled by, in my opinion, an awkward and clumsy design. Jigglypuff may not have good ground speed, but she does have moves that are very useful on the ground (dash attack, forward smash hits pretty hard, tilts are relatively quick) though that's not to say she excels on the ground. My point is, Palutena is a tall and light character who has to take way too much risk for disproportionate reward. At least with Jigglypuff the risk is relative to the reward you get for playing with her: she has a really good bair that kills, deadly edgeguarding game, and though the range on them are short, a set of reliable aerials. Not to mention Rest. Jigglypuff's frame data is not super-special-awesome but it is somewhat passable in comparison to Palutena.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'm not expecting anything, I'd love to see some buffs obviously but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. There's always going to be worse characters in game and sometimes I'll be the one you prefer.

For being one of the worst at the moment, she's super unique and fun and there's still a lot of stuff to be done in developing her set-ups into rest.

For example, when I first started practicing the dair into rest I thought I wouldn't use it in actual games because of how unreliable it is to land, and how percent dependant it is to get it to actually combo, yet in all my last sets against light chars like kirby or MK, I'm consistently landing a few hits until about 25 percent and then I stop racking damage because I know if I get the dair I can go into the rest comfortably now.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
But she does 1% more on flower.

That's game-changing man.

But seriously tho, I'd still play her. I find her to be way better than people give her credit for, and I love how happy she makes me to play the game xD

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
But she does 1% more on flower.

That's game-changing man.

But seriously tho, I'd still play her. I find her to be way better than people give her credit for, and I love how happy she makes me to play the game xD
1% flower is incorrect, it is the flower mechanic messup in training mode. Flower lasts depending on movement of opponent. They would have to change the mechanic of the the flower status, not rest.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
Hmm...I normally use Rest when I'm sure it will kill rather than as a damage racking move. Just too much risk to using it as a damage move, though characters without heavy punishes do make good targets for it... :4jigglypuff:

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Nothing, its already done. Jiggs is my favorite character in the game, the only character where, the simple act of playing her, regaurdless of how fun the fight itself is, makes me smile, and warms my heart..

But two months ago, i dropped her.. because in the end, I want to not just PLAY competative smash, but win. She supports my decision, because she knows it is whats best for me.

I have come back to her in this last week in hopes that she'll recieve some buffs, but if she doesnt then i suppose things will just go back to being how they have been, as of late -- where the only time i get to see her eager little face, eyes sparkling with the joy that only she can posess, is in casuals, and when, in a last ditch effort, i switch to her, exclaiming, "If i am to go down, i want to go down standing side by side with the character i love!"

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
More people need to acknowledge just how BAD she is, and be vocal about it too. The way people have been about samus. Sure samus is still a relativity weak character by any standard but at least the samus mains have gotten SOMETHING real from the patches. Honestly if i even felt that jiggs was buffed out of the bottom five i would be overjoyed.. But viability wise right now it just doesnt seem worth it to persue playing her on a competative level.

Unfortunately, unlike samus, we dont have anything really broken to call peoples attention too. Everything is just really.. Sub-par. Like in every way. We have no range, no grab game and not enough sheild pressure to make up for it, no real practical combos like most other characters have, no ability to safely approach and no way to make them approach. Nair is a decent get off me move but it will usually just trade and because we fly so far and because of the fact that we fall so slow and have virtually no landing options our opponent can put the pressure right back on us again without us ever even getting a chance to reset neutral off of the trade. Not to mention we die insanely early because of our weight, and the one move we have to make up for it is one of the most unsafe moves in the game.. If you dont think jiggs is a BAD character you are wrong.

Yes you can win even with a bad character, just like you can beat someone in chess even if you start with half as many peices as they do.. But in both those situations you are at an extreme disadvantage because you just dont have as many OPTIONS as your opponent. In order to win youd have to SEVERELY outplay your opponent, which at higher level play is most of the time just not realistic.

Also: its weird to see how many puff mains (myself included) also play villager. Maybe thats where we will all end up in the end d:

Last edited:
Top Bottom