• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What will it take for this game to truly be 'Ultimate' to you?

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
I want event matches to be like the melee

Target test like melee

Adventure mode or something similar bonus + allstar mode fix and classic mode more like melee

Unlocking characters have to feel rewarding not having 10 matches crip let it be more like melee(I think I'm like the only one that probably wants this)

King k rool must be Added bonus + Ashley, lip, isaac, medusa and geno would be the perfect roster for me. Maybe a few more Clones shadow/Dixie

Almost all stages return

More alternative costumes either unlockable or reasonable price dlcs

A opening similar to melees

Better create mode for stages bonus + better custom moveset

Snake asset needs to be fix lol

Plenty of cameos here and there and the trophies to be better more like melee

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
With all the returning characters confirmed, all I want are extra game modes worth returning to, like the first three games, basically.

- A "big" (~5 hour) story mode in the Subspace / Kirby Super Star or Amazing Mirror format.
- A shorter mode or two like (classic) Classic Mode or Melee's Adventure Mode to play through with all characters.
- Smash Run or something else akin to the City Trial format returning for alternative multiplayer.
- No standalone All-Star mode; incorporate it into the story mode or nix it entirely. It was already outstaying its welcome in Brawl, in my opinion.
- Break the Targets with character-specific stages, natch.
- A stretch (and minor want), but Melee-style Home-Run Contest; no walls, just a backstop off the left side of the screen. Was always more fun trying to juggle the sandbag with minimal horizontal knockback than just tossing the bat at it six times.

Bringing back virtually all the stages that don't have obvious technical limitations (mostly Pac-Maze) and aren't completely redundant (Flat Zone X, if 1 and 2 are both in, or vice versa) would be amazing, as well, but there's already so many good returning stages confirmed I'm perfectly happy already. (Just bring back Rainbow Cruise, please?)

... I suppose if we're going way out into dream Smash territory, would love to play as Braixen in a fighter I'm halfway decent at (sorry, Pokkén, I tried); the returning Pokémon'll more than suffice otherwise.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Give me Ashley, and bring Smash Run back. I'm already sold on the game, but those two things would be the most delicious icing on the cake ever.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
  • I don't need it to have a Story Mode, but I at least want a round in Classic Mode where you fight random bosses.
  • A Boss Rush Mode where you fight ALL the bosses.
  • A new Vs. mode that plays like Stock Battle, but each of your Stocks is a different character.
  • Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Lucina, Dark Pit and Daisy were just alt costumes.
  • Pokemon Trainer never returned and Charizard remained a solo character.
  • All my character requests to be added. But especially Simon Belmont.
  • King Hippo(if he doesn't get to be playable) and Eggplant Wizard assist trophies.
  • Captain N costume for the Mii Gunner.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Character wise...I still want to see just a TAD more newcomers

Banjo Kazooie
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Bandana Dee
and Dicidueye (sorry if I butchered these lol)

Character wise...I would be set with those extra 5.

Other things I want added or kept are:

World Viewer from Smash 4- I love this, it's really cool knowing roughly where in the world you are watching a match. Idk why exactly, but I just really enjoy this mode. Going from watching a FG match in Spain to another one taking place in maybe Japan or Texas. It's pretty cool and a feature I want kept in the game.

Story Mode: We all remember Brawl...and that amazing Story Mode. Please, bring it back if you can! lol

Direct-to-Youtube: It sucks that when they took away Miiverse, the ability to upload replays directly to Youtube was lost as well. I hope they bring this feature back, because I enjoyed uploading replays for my friends to watch, and since I don't have the available funds to get a capture card, this was the next best thing for me.

More powerful Stage Creator: Because why not? lol

Online Tournament Modes: This was lost as well when they got rid of Miiverse, and I hope they decide to bring the mode back. It was fun.
I think that is pretty much it for me.

Oh, and buff Falco and Bowser Jr :p
I also agree with most of your options. A little ambitious but it would be nice. Rayman, Crash, and Banjo-Kazooie all fit well in Smash and would be great new comers accepted by the fan base.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I also agree with most of your options. A little ambitious but it would be nice. Rayman, Crash, and Banjo-Kazooie all fit well in Smash and would be great new comers accepted by the fan base.
They would be, and yeah, I agree they would all fit nicely into the game. It's a complete longshot though, one which isn't likely to happen.

But, I can dream can't I? ;)

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Just some characters as playable really.
Geno, King K. Rool and lastly Simon whose grown on me a lot as of recent.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Character wise my dream is Chibi-robo. Not only one of my favourite games of all time but also has really amazing moveset potential. Isabelle is the other big wish for me and honestly she's a little more likely imo just because she's a more popular character and her franchise is much bigger.

I'd like to see smash run and break the targets make it back. I'd really really really like to have another SSE story mode but I don't think that'll ever happen. Online options for some of the co op stuff would be cool too.

Honestly this smash is already pretty much ultimate to me. I'm really impressed by the amount of characters and stages already that we're getting.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Fully embraced custom moves. Make them more varied than simply fast/slow versions of the base move, make it faster and easier to switch, let people pick them on the character select screen, make them MUCH easier to unlock.

Customs were one of the coolest ideas from Sm4sh, but I feel they were implemented very poorly. If they bring them back, I hope they put the time and effort into making them fantastic.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I can't say this is what I personally want, but what I think the community would need for this to be the true ultimate smash bros.

1) I know you said other than specific characters but King K. Rool and Crash Bandicoot have been on the top of the dream list with Ridley for as long as I can remember so without those two I think it's a great game, but not the ultimate.

2) Bringing all past characters in my mind requires all past stages too. Obviously, if a stage was remodeled I don't care if the old model doesn't make it, I just think all the locations need to be here at least.

3) Melee style break the targets and board the platforms (or maybe a custom training stage for each character like a unique punching bag course or something of the like). We all like PvP but sometimes there is just a special place in a gamer's heart for showing off in a freestyle environment.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
It already is to me. What would ruin it is some sort very annoying balance problem or little feature like Brawl's tripping that is non-skill based. Random fails/wins are not cool.

A stage builder is almost a must. Ultimate is ultimate.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
  • Better online interface. I think this will have the biggest impact on how long I'll play the game. Being able to only play time matches with random people outside of FG 1v1 was not very fun, and the report system just punished anybody paired up with salty players. I don't really care about voice chat but this game really needs a proper lobby system/online interface. also less lag plz
  • Some of the modes to be reworked, or new modes in general. Bring back a proper target smash/board the platforms (preferably character-specific, or even the option for custom challenges).
  • While I'd like to see Smash Run expanded upon or a Melee-styled adventure mode, I'd really like a new mode in versus. We've had time, stock and coin mode for 17 years now, surely they could add in some new mode?
  • Special mode modifiers for each individual characters (P1 is metal, P2 is giant, etc).
  • The trophy launcher mode from Brawl was probably the most fun method of getting new trophies, so it'd be nice to see that come back.
  • Speaking of trophies, it'd be nice if they got more attention this time around. While sm4sh had a lot more than melee did, they were mostly pre-existing models in the game (pokeballs, ATs, etc). Often enough half the description would be about how they functioned as an item/hazard in the game, which felt kind of cheap. Anyway, I'd like to see more emphasis on Nintendo's history.
  • At this point they might as well bring back all the stages. I'm really curious how a stage like Hannebow would look in FD or BF form. And since there are a lot of redundancies between similar stages already it'd be cool if the 64/Melee versions of BF and FD were included.
  • As far as new characters go Simon would be the only one I'd be disappointed in not getting in. It'd be cool if Travis Touchdown made it in, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Going off of the gameplay from the demo, if the knockback gets tweaked a bit I'll be golden. wavelanding would be nice but not necessary for me to have a good time.
  • Stage builder brought back to its former glory. I spent countless hours using it in Brawl, while I barely touched it in sm4sh. From what I remember it was missing even basic hazards and features like moving platforms. I'd love some balance between Brawl's preset pieces and the 4's level of detail in drawing platforms.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is pulling all the stops for this game. But I was wondering what it would take for this game to truly be the perfect smash for you. Other than specific characters, what does this game need for it to truly be your ultimate Smash game?

For me,
  1. A really good stage builder.
  2. Every stage from past games
I want to be able to make all my custom stages from Brawl again. And I also want every stage to return. Plus, i'd have to have retro skins for Fox, Falco, Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf...The retro skin for Ike has already been announced, so I can't ask for that since it's already there.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
It all lies in the singleplayer modes now. Characters, stages and items are already top notch
  • Classic more akin to SSB64 and Melee: which in turn would have to bring back Target Test and Race to The Finish. Plus hopefully Board The Platforms. Talking about Target and Platforms, I'd be ok with them being Brawl-like, but it'd need more than 5 levels
  • Adventure: Melee-like but maybe less linear with branching paths?
  • All-Star: Majorly overhauled, it doesn't work the same with a giant cast. Maybe separating by like newcomers in each game (say the OG12 are battled completely separatedly from the Melee newcomers)
  • Multi-Man: cut that terribleness that is Rival Smash or whatever (unless if like it's made as a competitive multiplayer option). I know that 15-minute Smash could be grating but I'd rather have that back instead
  • Smash Run: with all players on the map, plus more map options
  • Boss Battles: they could bring all the boss battles back along with new ones
Oh and better online. Brawl, 3DS and Wii U were unacceptably bad

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
In the wishlist thread, I talked about 3 main areas of concern - Combat, Online Mode, and Training Mode. I shared my dream concept for Smash's combat, which I think is easily feasible and well beyond awesome, ESPECIALLY at competitive levels. ;) Nevertheless, that's for a "Smash 6 wishes" thread years from now. So that leaves the online and training mode.

https://smashboards.com/threads/wishlist-of-stuff-for-smash-bros-for-switch.446712/post-22038808

In a nutshell, the Online Mode needs to be accommodating to players who aspire to be competitive AND to players who want to enjoy the game to the fullest of "party style Smash" (items, hazards, 8p, etc). I could spend hours detailing features, but let's just say that latency needs to be addressed as the top priority, followed by sub-mode options/features. Look to other FGs with strong online modes. Ultimate needs to match (preferably surpass) those standards. This means (but isn't limited to) having a strong matchmaking system through a Ranked Mode that has players grinding for higher status, mainly in hopes of more consistently encountering players of their skill or higher as they reach to improve to greater skill levels themselves.

The Training Mode must do the same. Comply with standards that allow players to prepare for high-level tournament play. I would love to see it go beyond in some ways. For years I've been talking about this idea of allowing players to import match replay data into their own training modules. Gone would be the days of wishing you could instantly hop into ANY simulation without first needing to take time to record a training dummy's actions, which sometimes is too limited in itself to even recreate the circumstance you wish to focus on in your training. And with that comes the grand concept of circulating user-created training modules online (a training school that supplements match play well beyond stuff like SFV's Trials), but I'm not going to go far into that now.

But yeah. The game looks to be shaping up nicely. Clearly it will be content heavy with its "every ___" direction. Super inclusive! No worries there! I just hope the final result of combat will be satisfying and that we'll get top class online and training modes.

Top Bottom