• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What were you thinking, Sakurai?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell ZSS is better than Samus? That fact is quite backward. Also, why is Samus only getting nerfs? Is there any way Sakurai could make Ms. Aran better? Or is it simply me not being any good? I want to be able to handle top-tier characters with Samus, but Sakurai is making that very difficult; he's giving them all the love.

Cu29

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7062-9722
Samus isn't good in this game. It's just kind of accepted.

Sakurai doesn't care about top tiers. He cares about making it decently balanced, but not to an extreme where every character is the same.

So the answer is, no, it's not going to be easy, and that's ok. Just practice.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
IMO, with the S tier nerfs, I think that counts as a buff. We can still compete, just hve to put in more time and practice than others, and be more naturally talented. We also have the +1 that hardly any plays Samus, so they won't be as familiar with the matchup / stage picks.

Samus is growing to become a stronger character, with recent discoveries like SHAD instead of rolling, and several combos that take advantage of deep mechanics.

On the downside, I'm sure other characters are making similar discoveries.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell ZSS is better than Samus? That fact is quite backward. Also, why is Samus only getting nerfs? Is there any way Sakurai could make Ms. Aran better? Or is it simply me not being any good? I want to be able to handle top-tier characters with Samus, but Sakurai is making that very difficult; he's giving them all the love.
Samus' "Nerfs" I'd say are debatable, depends on which ones you're talking about of course.

You want to handle top tiers? Then you have to put in a ton of work. You're not going to be good with this character when you first pick her up, much like other characters, but more so with Samus.
Samus has a very high learning curve how people still don't realize this is beyond me, and from your post I'm guessing you've just started using her.
You're going to have to learn to live with her "flaws" if you're going to play her cause they most likely will never change, if you can't, then I suggest you drop her now, cause she's obviously not the right choice for you.
It's fine to complain about your character every now and then if you're having a bad day, everyone does it I'm sure, but if that's all you're doing, you're going to have an even harder time getting better.
Don't compare her to ZSS, they are completely different characters with different playstyles and gameplans, why do people keep comparing them? It's very VERY annoying, stop it.
Public opinions don't mean ****, but that's something you're going to have to live with too, people having a negative opinions and being straight up misinformed about your character. People believe she doesn't have a combo game (She does), and that she's a projectile spammer(She's not), although this is one of the best things about Samus, people have no idea what she is capable of, that often times allows you to snag some easy wins, but eventually this will no longer be the case.
Samus may not be the best character in the game, but she most certainly is not the worst (Even though being the worst doesn't mean much in Smash 4 if she is).

I'm honestly getting tired of seeing these kinds of threads around here.
Maybe we should make some sort of "Rage thread" for people to post/vent their complaints/feelings about Samus.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Samus' "Nerfs" I'd say are debatable, depends on which ones you're talking about of course.

You want to handle top tiers? Then you have to put in a ton of work. You're not going to be good with this character when you first pick her up, much like other characters, but more so with Samus.
Samus has a very high learning curve how people still don't realize this is beyond me, and from your post I'm guessing you've just started using her.
You're going to have to learn to live with her "flaws" if you're going to play her cause they most likely will never change, if you can't, then I suggest you drop her now, cause she's obviously not the right choice for you.
It's fine to complain about your character every now and then if you're having a bad day, everyone does it I'm sure, but if that's all you're doing, you're going to have an even harder time getting better.
Don't compare her to ZSS, they are completely different characters with different playstyles and gameplans, why do people keep comparing them? It's very VERY annoying, stop it.
Public opinions don't mean ****, but that's something you're going to have to live with too, people having a negative opinions and being straight up misinformed about your character. People believe she doesn't have a combo game (She does), and that she's a projectile spammer(She's not), although this is one of the best things about Samus, people have no idea what she is capable of, that often times allows you to snag some easy wins, but eventually this will no longer be the case.
Samus may not be the best character in the game, but she most certainly is not the worst (Even though being the worst doesn't mean much in Smash 4 if she is).

I'm honestly getting tired of seeing these kinds of threads around here.
Maybe we should make some sort of "Rage thread" for people to post/vent their complaints/feelings about Samus.
Sure, why not.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
I've beating plenty of ZSS players with Samus. I've beating Capt. Falcons, Diddys, Sheiks, and other "top tiers".
I hate to get all poetic or what not, but with enough practice, you make your own tier list.

Last edited:

Cu29

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7062-9722
Yeah don't pay much attention to tiers. Especially in smash 4, because they can change, and because the game is pretty balanced. If you're losing cause of your character, either get better, or use a different character.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I still can't handle Sheik with Samus, not even CPU Sheiks. Why did the missiles have to be nerfed from brawl again? By "nerfs" i meant nerfs between games, not in patches.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
The reason is simple, Sakurai thinks Samus is the best character in the game, and his data collecting of of every rando online is probably not helping as its really easy to "win" as Samus in For Fun purely because of the chaos clouding every charge shot.

Last edited:

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I'm probably the only person you'll ever meet that says Samus is better than ZSS and explain why with a serious face. Samurai does seem to think Samus has been overpowered in the series. Her nerfs from Melee to Brawl make no sense. Smash 4 Samus > Brawl Samus though. With the way the games mechanics works and what IsmaR said about Samus in the beta before the game released, I'd say she would be a contender for top 5 in the current meta.

AgentM

Smash Rookie
As Samus, I tend to struggle most against small characters. I think Samus has a lack of safe options against short, grounded opponents. Against tall grounded characters, I find shorthop ---> auto-canceled d-air and shorthop ---> z-air to be pretty safe, the problem is the timing of these moves against short characters is either super strict or nonexistent. There are also a few cases where some characters' dash animations shrink their height, basically turning them into short characters. It could be that I'm not utilizing n-air or b-air enough in these matchups, or maybe I need to play more defensively, but I feel like Samus' d-air could use a slight range extension to make the matchup against small targets more even.

I definitely think Samus is underrated, but to me it seems that Samus has a handful of weaknesses in addition to the one above that prevent her from being a top contender.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
As Samus, I tend to struggle most against small characters. I think Samus has a lack of safe options against short, grounded opponents. Against tall grounded characters, I find shorthop ---> auto-canceled d-air and shorthop ---> z-air to be pretty safe, the problem is the timing of these moves against short characters is either super strict or nonexistent. There are also a few cases where some characters' dash animations shrink their height, basically turning them into short characters. It could be that I'm not utilizing n-air or b-air enough in these matchups, or maybe I need to play more defensively, but I feel like Samus' d-air could use a slight range extension to make the matchup against small targets more even.

I definitely think Samus is underrated, but to me it seems that Samus has a handful of weaknesses in addition to the one above that prevent her from being a top contender.
Pikachu and Ness always give me trouble based on height alone. Down tilt, down smash, and bombs keep them at bay a little. I feel like up tilt is decent but takes longer to hit the shorter opponents. Everything else you just have to catch them in the air mostly. I think a buff to down air would be great, either to range or speed.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I think the biggest thing that Samus could use is a faster grab and the ability to tilt tether grabs. (like F-smashes, anyone with a tether grab would benefit) This would make Samus so much better, her zoning would improve, her out-of-grab game would improve... etc.

Just gotta hope for a faster grab.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
That faster grab is definitely the number one thing Samus needs. Still, i'd love for Samus's missiles to have the same kill power as in PM. The missile nerfs definitely did not help her case.

Top Bottom