• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your first experience with the Smash Bros. series?

Konky Dong

Smash Rookie
I'll go first:

When I was in first grade, my babysitter's teenage son had Smash N64. I was really into Pokémon back then, and :pikachu: was on the front of the cartridge (I've just noticed that Profitchu is, like, center stage on all the Smash boxart. Nintendo knows how to marketing.), so I wanted to play it. Of course, I chose :pikachu64:, started 1p mode, and did what made sense at the time, which was :GCB:=Attack, :GCA:=Jump, :GCN:=Walk. So I Thunder Jolted :link64: until he killed me, because I didn't want to move or jump. I don't remember how I figured out the controls :p

Whabbout youse folks?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
For me, it all started playing Melee back in 2005. I was at a friend's house for a birthday party, and he introduced me to the game. When I saw all of my favorite Nintendo characters (like Mario, Pikachu, Bowser, and even Link who I didn't care about that much at the time) were in a cross-over fighting game, I became hooked instantly! I originally mained :mariomelee: and :drmario:, but I switched to :pikachumelee: because of down-B. Thankfully, I changed the errors of my spammy ways years later, and I don't often use down B when playing as Pikachu anymore. My mains are now back to :mariomelee: and :drmario: (but mostly :mariomelee:), although I'd like to try out :falcomelee: soon.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Back in... idunno, 05-06 or so, I was introduced to the franchise through Melee. My grandparents had a GameCube, although it was for me/sister/cousins, and one time when I went down there my cousins were playing Melee. (Casually, of course. We were all pretty young.) I became hooked pretty quickly and got the game (Along with a gamecube) for Christmas that year because of it. Been playing ever since.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
I used to play Super Smash Bros. on the N64 at my city's Karate Dojo after class was finished. I remember my first game being Yellow Mario, on Brinstar.

I got Melee for my 7th birthday, getting a special GameCube bundle with two controllers, Memory Card, and a Strategy Guide for the game.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I owned an N64 and played the crap out of Smash 64 and like every kid at that time, I played C.Falcon

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I don't remember it all that much, but I think I found Super Smash Bros. Melee in a Blockbuster store that's gone now. It had Mario on the cover, so naturally I picked it. That's how I learned most of the Nintendo franchises. I got it probably around the release of Brawl, so I was 8 at the time, I think. So I learned about Brawl too and got interested in Smash Bros.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
My younger brother and I were in our preteens when Smash 64 came out (A shout-out to all Smash64 vets, what's up?) He got me all hyped up that our favorite Nintendo characters like Fox, Yoshi, Link, and Mario was going to be in it. I was a huge fan of Star Fox 64 around that time, and so, I thought it be cool to play as Fox McCloud without the use of his Arwing. I've been playing Smash since. Every installment.

Except...

The only Smash game I never got a chance to play is Project M. :(

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I loved Pokemon around age four (I had no idea what I was doing, but I loved all of the monsters) and bought whatever had a Pokemon on it. SSBM had Pikachu on it, so I eventually stumbled upon Melee and got it for my birthday. I've been playing it ever since.

I've probably put 10,000+ hours on that little red disc, lmao. It's amazing how it hasn't broke after all these years.

Lester Roquefort

Smash Rookie
NNID
LesterRoquefort
I came upon Smash Brothers on the need for a fighting game that wasn't a fighting game. I rented it, loved it, bought it and proceeded to invest my spare time into it. I too have played every installment (Sans Project M) since then and loved each one.

I hope this series never ends and the roster for it continues to grow.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Melee was just one of those games that me and my brother played on the Gamecube.
We played stupid games on stages like Corneria with all the items on, and it was super-fun. (Somehow)
When I was 7ish or so, we got a Wii and Brawl was godlike. We played on silly custom stages (and frankly, they were great.)
When Smash 4 came out on 3DS, it kind of reminded both of us that Smash existed, and my brother discovered PM.
That's where it seriously started.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Melee was my origin. I don't remember anything before the year 2002... or 03, who cares. I got melee and thought it looked nice, so I would play like normal, and pick any character. we would try so hard to unlock every single thing melee had to offer. all of it was fun. I checked the hours on that thing, and it was more than 10,000 hours. But back then, I was good with every single character. Now, I'm good with Dr. Mario, Ness, Young link, G&W, Pichu, and Ice Climbers.. What a pity on me

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I first played the game at my friends house with his classmates, we played Melee (I actually didn't know what was the game called, I just immediately hooked when I saw it). All I did at first was use Fox and use his Up B a lot, and I some how win.... that was my first Smash Bros experience.

Sandy34

Smash Rookie
NNID
MattSD34
3DS FC
1908-1459-4966
Switch FC
SW 4428 9832 3695
I remember when I was about four when Melee came out, and my doctor's office had a Gamecube in the waiting room, so I remember playing the game with the other kids waiting for the doctor. I wasn't any good, but dang did I have fun with it.

Robo no Hana

Smash Rookie
Melee was the first game I've owned. got it for my b-day when I was fairly young so I was just a casual who played Marth with no prior knowledge of Fire Emblem, because I liked the way he jumped and his side-B looked fancy.

My first major experience with the game was one day my uncle had told me there was a super hidden secret where if you played on the great bay stage with Young Link and set unlimited time...that the moon would crash into the stage after an hour...

...needless to say I was gullible at that age and played for a solid three hours thinking of how cool i'd be once I tell everyone at school that I discovered a secret. xD

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I remember when I was about four when Melee came out, and my doctor's office had a Gamecube in the waiting room, so I remember playing the game with the other kids waiting for the doctor. I wasn't any good, but dang did I have fun with it.
I also had a similar experience, but I was at a dentist, and the game was Mario Kart Double Dash. That was the time when my sister decided to buy a GC and Mario Kart.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It was around the Fall of 2000 when I was 5 years old and my older siblings bought an N64 with a couple of games (Super Smash Bros and Super Mario 64 comes to mind. I got Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask a bit later). Up until then, I might have only played Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Stadium a couple of times before so Smash 64 was one of my earlier video game experiences.

I remember watching them playing Smash Bros while I was in the kitchen eating Pizza when I got very interested in the game and how appealing the characters looked. From what I remember, I played my first match as Mario and then my second match as DK who became my main for pretty much all my childhood in Smash games.

When I got Melee in 2003 however, my love for the Smash Bros series increased tremendously. I also remember getting Brawl about 2 days after it was released which was great because the game sold out fast.

Fast forward to 2015 and i'm still a huge fan with Smash 4 released. Some things never change.

I played 64 when I was really young. I was like, 2 and a half years old when it was released, but it wasn't long until I started actively playing video games. I also played Melee when that came out, but I have more vivid memories of 64.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Playing Smash 64 when it came out at my friend Kane's house - trying out every character, unlocking some and having a blast fighting each other, computers, and using the items.

PalmTrees

Smash Rookie
First experience was smash64 back in elementary school but that consisted of a ton button mashing. My first REAL experience was going to a weekly after watching EVO 2015 and then falling in love with the game instantly after losing my first friendly XD

Last edited:

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
My first experience was getting brawl for my (11th maybe?) birthday. I was intrigued by:mario2:on the cover and tried it out. I spent a lot of time falling off of battlefield with:mario2:while trying to understand the controls. Eventually I just gave up because it thought it was too hard. Probably about a month or two later I tried it out again, but this time with:kirby2:and:yoshi2:. I started to understand the concept as spammed both their down b's to win. Soon after I unlocked this new guy I had never seen before:falcon:and found my smash main for life.

Also, about a year after that I had the controls down and loved to smash everyone with:falcon:,:lucas:,and:sonic:. I was fighting a level 9 donkey kong and I kept seeing him do this shaky thing in the air and on the ground. I was like, "What's he doing? I know everyone's moveset, and I've never seen that before." After searching the manual I discovered the shield button. That's when it got real for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never owned it but my older sister's friend had Smash 64 and I remembered we borrowed it from him and I remember playing some matches with my sister. I was 7 at the time and played as :kirby64:, :pikachu64:, and :jigglypuff64:. But recently when I revisited 64 I played :link64:.

Then years later when I was 10 or so I fondly remember playing Melee, however I forgot who I played it with. I never owned Melee either, I just played with friends a lot. I think I played as :kirbymelee: and :pikachumelee: but now I play :marthmelee:. I didn't know of Marth's existence as a kid and that makes me sad.

But between 64 and Melee, I had more nostalgic memories with Melee.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I never owned it but my older sister's friend had Smash 64 and I remembered we borrowed it from him and I remember playing some matches with my sister. I was 7 at the time and played as :kirby64:, :pikachu64:, and :jigglypuff64:. But recently when I revisited 64 I played :link64:.

Then years later when I was 10 or so I fondly remember playing Melee, however I forgot who I played it with. I never owned Melee either, I just played with friends a lot. I think I played as :kirbymelee: and :pikachumelee: but now I play :marthmelee:. I didn't know of Marth's existence as a kid and that makes me sad.

But between 64 and Melee, I had more nostalgic memories with Melee.
Man, 7 year old you was pretty tier-aware.
EDIT: Besides Melee Kirby lmao

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I remember playing Melee a bit when I was little, maybe about 6 or 7.

A couple years later, I became exposed to Brawl and I wanted to play that. That's when I got hooked on the series.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Going on Bulbapedia 2009 to 2011ish and finding out it exists.

I wasn't interested at the time, but this year I bought the original SSB and... It's fun. Even though I suck at it.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
My first experience was Smash 1 on its launch day. I had brought it up to my mother that a new game was coming out with all of my favorite characters so she surpirsed me with it.

TheBaconDrinker

Smash Rookie
NNID
TehBaconDrinker
My first experience with smash bros was with Melee, considering it was the first video game i ever played. I don't remember who i played, for some reason my mind keeps going back to :foxmelee: because i really like dogs.

I also remember being completely **** at smash 64 when i was young, all i did was use :pikachu64: and spam neutral b. I never won a match.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Destroying my Dad in Melee with Kirby. First game best game.

Konky Dong

Smash Rookie
Melee was just one of those games that me and my brother played on the Gamecube.
We played stupid games on stages like Corneria with all the items on, and it was super-fun. (Somehow)
When I was 7ish or so, we got a Wii and Brawl was godlike. We played on silly custom stages (and frankly, they were great.)
When Smash 4 came out on 3DS, it kind of reminded both of us that Smash existed, and my brother discovered PM.
That's where it seriously started.
I love your avatar.

D

Deleted member

I also had a similar experience, but I was at a dentist, and the game was Mario Kart Double Dash. That was the time when my sister decided to buy a GC and Mario Kart.
Something even more similar happened to me, I found a GBA SP at the dentist and he let me play Super Circuit.

I tried to steal the gba too, but failed

Last edited by a moderator:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I have no idea... It's been so long. I do remember reading in a magazine about Super Smash Bros. 64. It easily could have been that I ran into it first at the daycare place my parents sent me too, as well. Either way it is SSB64.

Antikisa

Smash Rookie
I was at a friend's house when i discovered melee, he and his brother we going at it hardcore and I suddenly got interested because i saw link on the game cover... When my uncle got us a gamecube for christmas melee was the only game i would play despite the 6 other games that came with it, i used link alot because of my love for the legend of zelda series, playing ocarina of time with my older brother alot. I discovered Marth later and stopped play Link.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
When I was much younger, I remember my brother and dad playing 64. I was, I dunno, 1, 2 ,3?
Anyway, I do not remember when I played, or who I chose. All I know is I picked up Fox at some point and stuck to him.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
My earliest memory, wait, this thread is such a treat! ♫♦

Well, I brought the game to play after school with this group. There was a handful of people because it was this social place everyone hangs out at after school.
So I was playing my turn, and I was versing some teen. I can't remember what characters we used, but I knew I was the underdog, because they attacked and had the advantage to pick up a freshly spawn Hammer. Before he could get me on return, a green shell spawned on my side and I trumped his hammer. I can't remember if it could have been deflected or not, but I did know that it was all in good fun. The crowd roared a hearty roar, and fun was had, turns moved on...

So yeah, it wasn't my first experience, but it was the earliest I can recall.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I can't think of a time in particular when I first picked up the game (my brains odometer has racked up one too many for that), but I can say it was a time when I thought Master Hand was a warped piece of tissue and constantly sent him back to the Kleenex box after every defeat.

But of course that was before I considered continuation on Classic a mortal sin lol.

Daxtero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crackercube
I never knew about Smash Bros until I stayed over my cousin's house. We were bored, so we decided to play Wii. One of the games we played was Brawl. I loved it. Sure, we played by punching random buttons everywhere and hoping for the best, but I found the game fun. Once Smash 4 came out, I purchased it and was determined to play "for real".

Top Bottom