• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Was Special About Pre-Patch Diddy?

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
I never paid attention to updates and patches until recently, and I've heard talk about how good "pre-patch Diddy" was. Why exactly was he so good, and what happened in the patch that nerfed him?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I never paid attention to updates and patches until recently, and I've heard talk about how good "pre-patch Diddy" was. Why exactly was he so good, and what happened in the patch that nerfed him?
He could kill at 30% off of Dthrow, and 50% from Uthrow. His Dtilt was slightly better as well. Also, Uair would kill from the ground at 120%ish. Since he has zero trouble getting a grab, and he could easily kill off of the grab, it was a bit broken. Worse then Bayonetta.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
He could kill at 30% off of Dthrow, and 50% from Uthrow. His Dtilt was slightly better as well. Also, Uair would kill from the ground at 120%ish. Since he has zero trouble getting a grab, and he could easily kill off of the grab, it was a bit broken. Worse then Bayonetta.
he could NOT kill at 30% or 50% from throws LMAO. he was busted but not that much come on.

he's also not worse than bayo imo

what was busted about diddy was simply he had such a high damage output (uair did 8%, fair did 12% and killed, fsmash was stronger, throws did more damage i believe) and his dthrow/uthrow > uair killed at really early percents, like it can kill at 80% with a good bit of rage. he had kill setups all over, from throws, to simply spamming uair, to dtilt > fair/uair.. and basically if you have that good of a kill setup off a grab then you're good to go, and diddy had a banana, an amazing fair, and a ****ton of grab combos

Sonicninja115

he could NOT kill at 30% or 50% from throws LMAO. he was busted but not that much come on.

he's also not worse than bayo imo

what was busted about diddy was simply he had such a high damage output (uair did 8%, fair did 12% and killed, fsmash was stronger, throws did more damage i believe) and his dthrow/uthrow > uair killed at really early percents, like it can kill at 80% with a good bit of rage. he had kill setups all over, from throws, to simply spamming uair, to dtilt > fair/uair.. and basically if you have that good of a kill setup off a grab then you're good to go, and diddy had a banana, an amazing fair, and a ****ton of grab combos
He had Dthrow- triple Uair. It shouldn't of killed any competent opponent, but misinformation was everywhere in that time. It killed at 30-40%. I didn't know exactly when Uthrow to Uair killed, so I am not surprised I missed it.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
No, just no.
At 80% with rage or earlier on platforms ofc. People complained about HooHa but current RoB Dthrow-Uair kills as much as pre patch HooHa

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
He had Dthrow- triple Uair. It shouldn't of killed any competent opponent, but misinformation was everywhere in that time. It killed at 30-40%. I didn't know exactly when Uthrow to Uair killed, so I am not surprised I missed it.
judging by these videos alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtNImZZPepk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5s_HG7Wwg

Diddy never kills at 30-40% with dthrow > triple uair. not only is that probably not even true at that percent, but even if it was, it'll simply never kill unless ur at like a high t&c platform or something.
No, just no.
At 80% with rage or earlier on platforms ofc. People complained about HooHa but current RoB Dthrow-Uair kills as much as pre patch HooHa
hoo hah was so much better lets not kid ourselves here lol, especially on diddy

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
It wasn't better, it was just simpler.
Dthrow less base and scaling knockback, Uair dealt more %, had more scaling knockback and less base knockback.
All that combined meant Diddy could grab you at 0 percents, Dthrow into 3 Uairs, then regrab you Dthrow into 2 Uairs and the next Dthrow to Uair would kill 90% of the cast.

If anything it was on the level of pre nerf Luigi, except Diddy had a safe and guaranteed setup for his grab thanks to his banana.

Sonicninja115

I am not trying to be right. It was so long ago that it is pretty much useless and unneeded to even think about that era.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Adding on to what these guys said,

Diddy had a lot of crazy tools like a bigger hitbox on Up air so it was actually a tool you could throw out it neutral to get your opponent in the air without needing to grab. Up air also had one frame less of endlag and had better auto cancel frames.

Down throw could be reacted out of pretty much immediately so Dthrow -> Dair was much faster.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
No, just no.
Since R.O.B's up air is multi-hit couldn't it be SDI'd out of?

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Im comparing Hoo ha/Beep Bop not whole chars. Stop making me say what I didnt. Thanks

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Watch some of Zero's matches at Apex 2015.

Lmao at Bayo is worse than prepatch Diddy.
Just lmao.

Top Bottom