• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What use is there for SHDL?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't seem that SHDL is a faster way to spam l@z0rs (it doesn't affect the spamming speed like SHDA affects TL). So what's the use of it? If you're wanting to shoot l@z0rs in the air, yeah... but I find spamming it on the ground much more useful.

§witch

Smash Lord
If you want to be left wide open and not able to follow up with an attack, then by all means laser spam from the ground. Falco's lasers disrupt, making them a fantastic form of approach.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Well... I'm sure no one will be stupid enough to spam l@z0rs when the opponent is right in front of them. I know that there is lag when Falco puts his blaster away, but I'm mainly talking about SHDL in one place. I know that it'd be a good approach to SHDL towards the opponent. But besides that, what use is there?

null55

Smash Master
There are two huge advantages to SHDL...

1- It covers the entire area by which a grounded character can move. No matter what, one will hit if you stay on the ground, and if you jump, the other one will hit you. This way you can keep them away or force them into a shield.

2- There is zero landing lag, so if you pull out a surprise laser up close, they're stunned for a short amount of time and you have a lot of options to begin beating the sh*t out of them.

SHL does reason two effectively, but not as great for one.

Spamming lasers on the ground is a decent option for the very beginning of the match (i.e. first 5 seconds) to surprise the opponent, but that's really about it. The time it takes for Falco to put away his gun is just silly. Grounded lasers don't cover any of the advantages of SHDL. The only advantage it has is that a laser may hit the opponent and keep him away, and SHDL, of course, can do that.

Just wondering... Why do you ask this? Are you having trouble SHDLing?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying that spamming l@z0rs is only good for racking up damage from a far distance, but SHDL isn't necessarily for spamming but to maybe break up an opponent's offense.

No, I'm getting a lot better at SHDL. I just wondered what application there could be for SHDL since it just seemed a waste of the .00000001 calories used to move my fingers. And it seemed kinda useless, as the opponent can see you SH a mile away.

null55

Smash Master
So you're saying that spamming l@z0rs is only good for racking up damage from a far distance, but SHDL isn't necessarily for spamming but to maybe break up an opponent's offense.

No, I'm getting a lot better at SHDL. I just wondered what application there could be for SHDL since it just seemed a waste of the .00000001 calories used to move my fingers. And it seemed kinda useless, as the opponent can see you SH a mile away.
That's definitely not what I'm saying. You'll probably hit someone with a grounded laser but "racking up damage"? Lol, I certainly did not say that. Grounded lasers are so very predictable. If you're just watching Falco you have more than enough time to react. SHDLing is also predictable for the same reason that if Falco, a character who has a great projectile, is far away form you, he will laser. Same with Pit, same with Fox, same with Link, Toon Link. The end. That's obvious. What separates the moves (like I said before) is that SHDLing covers two layers, so you have a better chance of hitting someone, and also has zero landing lag, so you can do it a closer range, where it's less predictable. Reverse SHDL and SHL and approaching with SHL/DL are very good strategies that make grounded lasers forgettable.

It sounds like you don't even use lasers unless you're at a distance... In that position if you're "racking up damage" I question the ability of your opponents. All they have to do is jump forward. At this point you'll have to stop lasering, and you're both on even ground since you took 8,000 years to put your gun in your pocket.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
I find the single silent laser to be more useful than the SHDL.

Empty short hops work wonders.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
sigh, its all about speed man you are left wide open when doing grounded lasers, honestly play some people, good people, and try both ways. you will see SHDL is much better.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
SHDL has a lot less lag, It can hit tall people twice(I think) and you can use it to force an approach or approach, and falco prefers the air ;) though I still can't do it properly. :(

BEES

Smash Lord
Personally I think the second one is just intimidation. It never hits anything. You don't need it. Short hop fast fall single laser gets them closer together on the ground anyway.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
The First Laser from the SHDL is used as a means to stop the opponent in their tracks and/or to get them on the ground for the Second Laser or vise versa.

This can be used effectively for stopping people's approaches and making somewhat of an opening for your flow of attacks. Sure they can shield those lasers or air dodge, but a continous wave will eventually render them weary.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I find using ground l@z0rs is best to force an approach. The I shine and go from there. Usually. Sometimes.

Top Bottom