• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smash character do you like best?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I would say that my favorite type of Smash characters are those "string" type characters. Mario can link his infamous aerial games with pretty much anything. ZSS can use her paralyser to string her attacks together. Dr. Mario has his back air and up air with down b. And Bayonetta has her unbelievable aerial combo potential.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I like ones where if you set up and time your projectiles correctly, you could pull off some cool and insane combos. Like Link's bombs or Robin's broken tomes.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
I like characters that are considered Jack of all Stats and easy to used. Examples like :mario64: :drmario: :kirby2: and maybe :4lucina:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I guess I don't have much of a rhyme or reason to like the characters I do.

I don't like Mario. I play Mario because he's been my main forever and I can play him very well. But I don't like Mario the character. I don't like him as a character, if he even counts as one, and I don't like his games anymore.

I told this story a billion times in this site already, but I started playing Lucina as a parody or joke of sorts of my friend who was a Marth main. He was calm, intelligent and precise, while I was brash, aggressive, and fast. I also used her so I could make crappy "Waifu Marth", "Girl Marth" jokes. The jokes were on me, though, as I slowly started warming up to this character I had 0 background with. Before I noticed, she basically became a favourite of mine despite me not even having played Awakening, and all of my friends started started to criticize me for liking this character so much without even having played her game. Nowadays I finished Awakening and stuff so I guess all of those complaints were turned invalid.

And then there's Dark Pit. I like using him because he's easy, really versatile, and can kill in really fun and effective ways. Much like the other two I just listed.

So I guess that's my type of Smash character. Characters that are easy to play and have good ways of setting up for kills.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I like that characters that can combo like crazy, have terrific movement, and are are super stylish. Falcon is best option for me.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I like that characters that can combo like crazy, have terrific movement, and are are super stylish. Falcon is best option for me.
Same here. I especially love his blend of speed and power. I like Kirby and Ganon for their speed and power respectively, and I also love Lucas with his stylish bair spike, up smash, and PK freeze to PK thunder kills. But, Falcon has it all.

And the Falcon punch.

So my style is rush down and destroy.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I like Ike since he has big, powerful hitboxes that feel great to land, but can still maneuver around the stage and play a little footsies. Actually, pretty much only Ike is like that. Fox is my secondary since he's so well-rounded while still not relying on projectile game too heavily; anyone that leans on their projectiles as their only way to rack up damage isn't for me.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I guess I could say I prefer combo oriented characters. What I generally choose for my mains / alts though are the characters who come most naturally to me. Characters that I naturally play well seem to be much more easy to get better with as well as being much more fun to play.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I pretty much only use:

:4peach::4villagerf::4jigglypuff::4bayonetta2:

I like characters with strong air game but I refuse to play heavyweights. I don't really mind slow run speeds. Peach and Jigglypuff have this. Laggy attacks I won't stand for though. In terms of aesthetics, I really like fighters who are unconventional in some way. Peach and Villager aren't really characters you'd expect to fight for example and they don't do it by ordinary means. Instead, they beat you up with turnips, sporting equipment, and whatever else they can dig up in hammer-space. Lastly, just like characters who are adorable.

SuperSaiyanGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheWBGuy
3DS FC
2981-8361-9303
I like playing characters that I can be aggressive with. Across every Smash game, I tend to use Falcon and Fox as a secondary.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I like the up close fighting for more damage. Good examples for me are Roy, Cloud, Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Shulk, and Toon Link. Though I tend to use special characters too, like Mario, Rosalina, Game and Watch, Ness, Pit/Dark Pit, and Kirby. (Thanks to Roy and Cloud, I can't get into the style of my older favorites so back to practice...)

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I mainly only use these guys
:4sonic::4greninja::4falcon::4fox::4falco::4mario:

I'm a speed demon. If the character doesn't have quick combos and good mobility, I'm out. I don't have anything against slow characters but every time I play as them, it feels like a chore.
Lastly, they have to be characters from a series I have a connection with. Other than the Star Fox series, I love the Sonic, F-Zero, Mario, and Pokemon series.

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Usually rush down characters. And occasionally I'll break out a waifu

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Technical Characters. Characters that take skill to pull off, or any type of Smasher :4ryu: is classified as. It's just fun watching people play Ryu in general.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
I've noticed I really tend to like the middle characters. Not too light, not too heavy, not too fast, but not slow either, with just the right amount of kill power. I also tend to lean towards the sword characters. So characters like Cloud, Corrin, Dark Pit, and Roy are characters I enjoy the most. With exceptions of course, for instance, I really love Villager.

I also really like the more unique characters with unorthodox movesets or some sort of gimmick. (i.e. Cloud's limit break, Lucario's aura, and Marth's tipper)

Last edited:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I love characters with a good aerial game. Characters such as Marth and Mario fit me perfectly. I try to play everybody, but I just can't do characters with weak air like Little Mac

D

Deleted member 269706

Aggressive, hard hitting, rush-down characters. Naturally a very aggressive person, so that carried over into smash. If I like a character and they aren't supposed to be played aggressively, I make 'em aggro

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Characters with big, meaty disjoints.

I play :4dedede:, :4myfriends: and :4cloud:for a reason.

Besides that, ones with good combo game and stage control. :4diddy: can be applied to this.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I personally love defensive based characters. It honestly can depend. I like zoning characters a lot too :p

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
I like floaty characters with attacks that lock in. Lucas, and Dark Pit are good examples of these. It's just so satisfying to land that n-air or f-air.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm.... well, I main Sheik in Melee, I main Lucario in Brawl, I main Squirtle in Project M, and I main Roy and Pikachu in Smash 4. No clue what that says about me. I guess I like characters with a projectile?

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I main: :4darkpit::4sonic::4zss::4feroy::4peach::4falcon:

I don't know what category they all fit into.

Nah

Smash Champion
I've never been entirely sure really. I main :4robinf::4corrinf: but I think it's more that I liek Fire Emblem and not that they necessarily fit my natural playstyle....whatever it is

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I've never been entirely sure really. I main :4robinf::4corrinf: but I think it's more that I liek Fire Emblem and not that they necessarily fit my natural playstyle....whatever it is
I picked Rosalina and Bayonetta for no reason other than the fact that I legitimately think that, well, they're freaking awesome.

Professor Fizwidgit

Smash Rookie
You are all going to hate me.... but that is the point...

I like being a complete **** I mean I love to just pick the most scumbaggy of scumbag characters. I play Duckhunt, Olimar, Rosa, I play all of them as long as they just are awful to play against.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I like mastering tech skill so :4ryu: is the one for me. :4shulk: has some really fun tricks (Speed monado pivot grab is my favorite thing to do with him)

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
If I'm being serious I like more defensive characters with great combo games once they get in like :4megaman::4lucas:, but I play most every character on the roster for style. :4falcon: for life.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am actually potent with all my all-time favorite Nintendo characters ; Diddy, DK, Ike, Mewtwo, Ness and Toon Link. The motivation to play them comes from me liking the characters a great deal. Moreso with Diddy.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The ones that allow me to hide the undeniable fact that I play Smash Bros like a raving dog screwing around with a controller, with just as sucky results.

Gen.Excel

Smash Rookie
I love Ike's concept in PM and Sm4sh: a slow heavyweight that relies on reads to win. And he's ripped af.
In melee I love Fox and Falco's voice quotes "TORYAH" and the ever amazing "MISSION ACOMPREE", but my playstyle definitely suits Marth most of the time. I play a mean Dr. Mario and Ice Climber or two though. I guess I don't really know.

D

Deleted member

Ones that have good enough recovery so that if I make a mistake, I don't pay the cost. I also like for a character that doesn't have to work too hard to get a kill, as in I don't want to combo all day until the KO's start happening. I like combos, but I couldn't get into Sheik in Smash 4 because of the lack of kill power at higher percents.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I'm a generally offensively based player, so rushdown characters that have speed, power, and combo potential greatly appeal to me. It's why I tend to main or pocket characters like Captain Falcon across the installments.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
I've been looking into this again with my recent Falcon enjoyment.

I've noticed that I still like the fast characters who like getting up close, doing tons of damage and pressuring the opponent are one of two different archetypes I enjoy. The other being the spacing characters. Characters that are relatively fast, usually have disjointed hitboxes, and have the ability to deal massive amounts of damage while avoiding it. So characters like Greninja and Falcon fit into the first catagory, while characters like Marth, Villager, and possibly Cloud fit into the second.

Also, I like characters with just enough combos so that I know what I'm doing, but not so many that I can't remember them.

Last edited:

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
I personally prefer characters who are fast, has long distance attack, and good recoveries...

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
I usually play with my favourite Nintendo Characters but I really like fast, and strong characters with at least a projectile because I play more offensively. I like slow but strong characters too even though I'm not very patient and some of these characters require patience to be played correctly, especially against fast ones.

Top Bottom