• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What TV do you practice/play on?

finalcloud13

Smash Apprentice
I think its importance is pretty much negligible, considering the things that would really affect you winning, like your skill lol.

JKJ

Smash Ace
As long as they have no lag, all TV's should have negligible differences.
Not all CRT's have no lag, however. I have encountered several that lag worse than my Panasonic Viera HD Plasma TV (which handles lag pretty well, but still).

dkuo

Smash Lord
not practicing on a crt will make you mess up execution fyi
for a while i would only practice on slightly laggy lcds. my tech was atrocious on crts for like a day or two after that

you can probably find a crt around your area for free on craigslist

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Like the others have said, you need an old-school CRT because new shiny HD stuff lags. Practicing for too long on a laggy TV can really mess with your execution and timing and whatnot on even the most basic things, especially if you learn how to do those things on a laggy TV. Buddy of mine played for years on a laggy TV before coming to college and it took him a couple months to adjust to a not-laggy setting.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Like the others have said, you need an old-school CRT because new shiny HD stuff lags. Practicing for too long on a laggy TV can really mess with your execution and timing and whatnot on even the most basic things, especially if you learn how to do those things on a laggy TV. Buddy of mine played for years on a laggy TV before coming to college and it took him a couple months to adjust to a not-laggy setting.
...crap. >_>

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
And does it matter what type of TV you practice on? Like, if you play on 16:9, will you be out of wack playing on a 16:9, and vice versa?
I play on my CRT TV most of the time, or use an emulator when I feel like I want that 1080p res and when I go online. Usually the second option though since there's online. Yea I used to play on my Panasonic Viera HD TV in my room, but I though CRT would be better. Though the Panasonic is actually not that bad.

Gea

Smash Master
Well, melee has progressive scan, so in theory as long as the TV displays the 480p and has a refresh rate fast enough, it should not lag as long as you shut off any additional image processing (game mode).

While I'm not discounting the existence of lag on pretty much every LCD and lots of other TVs, people are too quick to cry wolf with anything that isn't a CRT.

Dr. Ed

Smash Rookie
Ya know it would be nice if there was a spot where we had a collection of non-crt tv reviews done by players who own them... Just don't ask me since I have no idea what I'm talking about. :<

I own both a 50 plasma panasonic 1080p hdtv 600ghz blablahblah and an old crt-tv and I can't tell the difference. Of course this is because I suck and the one good player I play with says he notices a little lag on the hdtv.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I have a big CRT that is old but had the input slots on the back for Component cables. So I bought Component cables for my Wii, and it makes Melee and Brawl(P:M) look TONS BETTER, and the audio is also better I think (the cable is quality too from Monster so either or).

I've had a recording set-up on my CRT a few times, where I've had to play with basic Composite cables, and it SUCKS.
How does this effect your play? The visuals are different, BUT ALSO THE AUDIO. BOTH were throwing me off for a good while before I got use to composite again I guess.

I've been to more than a few tournies now, and Tvs do matter. There's always some Medium sized tv that's like kind of fuzzy looking picture where my tech skill gets a little off so I usually prefer playing on the smaller Tvs since they often have a really nice picture and feeling.

There was once this one TV that had a VHS player built into the bottom, and it was recording the match: but I swear it freaking slowed down time or something for the matches I played on it. It didn't feel right at all.

If I was super serial about tournaments, I'd get a crap TV that's half the size of my big CRT and play on ugly composite cables. It IS a different story though for someone with a non-CRT/HD Tv where the lag ranges from bad to unplayable, which my friend has but his is only just semi-bad. But when he played on my big CRT he was more or less fine and said he liked the feel so I guess going from bad lag playing to no lag is fine just not the opposite (when I play on his TV I'm never fully there with the small lag getting to me but I've played on much worse HD Tvs where the lag is literally a second) Oh by the way I've hooked up my component cables to his TV once to test the "makes it lag less" theory because it turns it into progressive scan (it asks once you plug them in to turn it on inside the Melee game) and it did make it just a tad better (might make it a lot better for the TVs that horribly suck but who knows).

With that said about HDTVs though, there is this special glorious feeling to Melee when playing on a big but slightly laggy HDTV. Aerials with Spacies feel so much more packed with power and fast falling and everything feels much cooler feeling.

Eggm

Smash Hero
you should practice on something like this.

http://keapr.com/images/3d55085c-7245-45d0-a8cd-eb3ae0c97d1b.jpg

20 inch crt, in non-widescreen format. That is the tournament standard pretty much. If you practice in a widescreen format it will mess up your spacing at tournaments. Also, if you play on an hdtv, you won't be able to execute anything on a crt lol, and the game will seem way faster.

ALL LCD's lag with melee, even if it's a native resolution of 480p and wii with component cables. They just do. Sorry. Just use a crt.

FireFly

Smash Lord
I play on an old wooden frame TV from like the 60's. No AV hookup so I attach my VCR and plug in through that way. No remote control because there are knobs on the TV. No joke. I'll take a picture someday.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Just check craiglist for a small CRT in your area. I only had HDTVs at home so I picked up a 15 CRT for like ten bucks just so I could practice at home.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I brought a tv that I have to rom, it doesnt lag at all but when you go from the results screen to the char select screen it fuzzes out for a few seconds, people thought it was funny

Top Bottom