• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to Practice With Mario

Shadowinvadr

Smash Rookie
I'm switching over from Fox to Mario because I find Fox really boring sometimes. And whenever I play Fox I feel like I play on autopilot and I think using Mario would help strengthen my mental game. Anyway, what are the most important things for a new Mario main to start practicing?

Britex

Smash Apprentice
As with all characters, having solid tech skill is really important. Mario has a pretty damn good wavedash, so mastering that is probably critical. You should also practice with your down-b to consistently get the maximum height, and getting a hang of Up-B walljump is useful to mario's recovery.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Work on:
-up air combos
-recovery(down b, cape stalling, walljump, fireball back, etc.)
-cape(spacies up b's and everyone else applicable)
-MU's
-chain throw
-combo game in general

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Focus On Damage Racking
IASA D-air->U-air don't fastfall
Punch-(optional Punch)-D-smash
Up-angled F-smash from ~1/4 from the edge of stage.
Focus On what is your KO move ahead of time.
FF-U-air->D-smash
Grab->hit hit->Bthrow
Utilt->Juggle with U-air
Punch->Punch->F-tilt->Crouch-slide to decrease knockback on hit
Learn opponent's recover to see if you can B-air Gimp.
Final Destination Stage Coin Attack spike
Final Destination B-air Stage Spike
Other Level specific Tricks
FF-B-air->smash
Learn the importance of weak strength hitbox timings like weak bair/nair for combos.
Learn Priority timings aswell.
D-Throw Chain Grabs
Practice Spacing/Options with Fox trot vs wave dash
I recommend that you face on pokemon stadium and 70%-80% Uair->maybe reverse D-air IASA->reverse B-air->D-air IASA->U-smash for KO on the ledge Damge getting all hits is critical. A U-smash/F-smash/D-smash at ~130% should KO.
Practice against real people and tell them they can't jump but have to avoid see how long you can get your combo going and take turns many players will use their jump to avoid impending U-airs practice SHFF and WD to stay on them.
In addition to this you have the more reliable U-Air juggling to set up combos but they tend not to finish with DI.

Last edited:

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
Focus On Damage Racking
IASA D-air->U-air don't fastfall
Punch-(optional Punch)-D-smash
Up-angled F-smash from ~1/4 from the edge of stage.
Focus On what is your KO move ahead of time.
FF-U-air->D-smash
Grab->hit hit->Bthrow
Utilt->Juggle with U-air
Punch->Punch->F-tilt->Crouch-slide to decrease knockback on hit
Learn opponent's recover to see if you can B-air Gimp.
Final Destination Stage Coin Attack spike
Final Destination B-air Stage Spike
Other Level specific Tricks
FF-B-air->smash
Learn the importance of weak strength hitbox timings like weak bair/nair for combos.
Learn Priority timings aswell.
D-Throw Chain Grabs
Practice Spacing/Options with Fox trot vs wave dash
I recommend that you face on pokemon stadium and 70%-80% Uair->maybe reverse D-air IASA->reverse B-air->D-air IASA->U-smash for KO on the ledge Damge getting all hits is critical. A U-smash/F-smash/D-smash at ~130% should KO.
Practice against real people and tell them they can't jump but have to avoid see how long you can get your combo going and take turns many players will use their jump to avoid impending U-airs practice SHFF and WD to stay on them.
In addition to this you have the more reliable U-Air juggling to set up combos but they tend not to finish with DI.
There are a lot of options that are more useful most of the time than most of what you posted.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Mario is definitely a character you can't autopilot all the time since it focuses on specific timings/knowledge/tactics.

Top Bottom