• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to learn as Snake?

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
So, that instant Grenade pick up tech that you elaborated on last in your video. I understand what is asked and you claimed to have issues with executing the tech yourself. I actually found it very easy with my control scheme.

Left trigger: Jump.
Right trigger: Shield.
Z bumper: Grab.
Y button: Shield.
X button: Jump.
A button: Attack.
B button: Special.
C stick: Tilt Attacks.
D pad: Taunts.
Tap Jump: Off.
Stick Sensitivity: High.

Pressing B then pressing both triggers, and the z-bumper, allows me to execute this tech pretty well. However, I do occasionally do a Nair while doing it. I hope that helps you out, the_lennyface.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
One thing I have a question on is recovering. I've been seeing high level Snakes (most notably MVD and Ally) recovering very high. I am hoping for some clarification on this as I've always thought this was more of a bad thing. I get trying to set up from above, but what other reasoning is there for it?
Snakes like to recover high for that B-reversal mixup, and because it's hard to kill off the top if you don't have a K rool u-air, as well as being a mind game in its own.
Well I got no responses so I went ahead and made the video lol.
Any thoughts?
Good video, I didn't know about the quick grenade technique, I was just doing a ghetto wavedash until I got sick of the endlag, and learned to just jab immediately after my shield goes down.
Other points to stress:
-Grenades are great for ledge guarding, have one sitting on ledge, and z-drop on the recovering foe for some fun times.
-Try not to spam fast characters with grenades as by the time you are pulling out your second one, you will have an angry Fox right in your face, getting ready for a grab combo
-Trading with grenades isn't ideal, but serviceable since Snake is one of the heaviest characters in the game and can either lead to combos, or reset neutral with grenade pressure
Fun tip: You can B-reverse Snake's C4 also, meaning if you recover high, you can B-Reverse the C4, then B-reverse a grenade right after for some fancy Air Combat!

Last edited:

the_lennyface

Smash Rookie
So, that instant Grenade pick up tech that you elaborated on last in your video. I understand what is asked and you claimed to have issues with executing the tech yourself. I actually found it very easy with my control scheme.

Left trigger: Jump.
Right trigger: Shield.
Z bumper: Grab.
Y button: Shield.
X button: Jump.
A button: Attack.
B button: Special.
C stick: Tilt Attacks.
D pad: Taunts.
Tap Jump: Off.
Stick Sensitivity: High.

Pressing B then pressing both triggers, and the z-bumper, allows me to execute this tech pretty well. However, I do occasionally do a Nair while doing it. I hope that helps you out, the_lennyface.
Man this control scheme boggles my mind to be honest with you haha. I'll give it a shot and report back my experience, since it is pretty tricky to get the hang of and honestly it's too hard to pull off in online play with the slight bits of lag. Also it's too bad about your internet connection. Let's at least keep the discussion going here as we find more things. The board seems kinda slow to me to be honest.

Snakes like to recover high for that B-reversal mixup, and because it's hard to kill off the top if you don't have a K rool u-air, as well as being a mind game in its own.

Good video, I didn't know about the quick grenade technique, I was just doing a ghetto wavedash until I got sick of the endlag, and learned to just jab immediately after my shield goes down.
Other points to stress:
-Grenades are great for ledge guarding, have one sitting on ledge, and z-drop on the recovering foe for some fun times.
-Try not to spam fast characters with grenades as by the time you are pulling out your second one, you will have an angry Fox right in your face, getting ready for a grab combo
-Trading with grenades isn't ideal, but serviceable since Snake is one of the heaviest characters in the game and can either lead to combos, or reset neutral with grenade pressure
Fun tip: You can B-reverse Snake's C4 also, meaning if you recover high, you can B-Reverse the C4, then B-reverse a grenade right after for some fancy Air Combat!
Thanks for the feedback! I think you're spot on about ledge guarding and spamming them against fast characters. A lot of times trading with a grenade can put you at a disadvantage but can be worthwhile when you're ahead in a match.

Didn't know about the C-4 B-reversal! So do you pop the C-4 and instantly flick the opposite direction? I'll have to give it a try sometime and maybe I'll dedicate a video to nothing but C-4 stunts and combos.

Last edited:

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Man this control scheme boggles my mind to be honest with you haha. I'll give it a shot and report back my experience, since it is pretty tricky to get the hang of and honestly it's too hard to pull off in online play with the slight bits of lag. Also it's too bad about your internet connection. Let's at least keep the discussion going here as we find more things. The board seems kinda slow to me to be honest.
All it really does is replace the L-Trigger with Jump, Y-Button with Shield, and the C-Stick with Tilt Attack rather than default Smash Attack. However, for the tech, the only thing that matters is the L-Trigger set to jump. So all you'd have to do is press :GCB:, then a quick simultaneous input of :GCLT:+:GCRT:+:GCZ:. Pretty easy, using the index+middle finger of my right hand for the two and left middle finger for the one. It took a minute to get down properly, but easily executable now.

the_lennyface

Smash Rookie
All it really does is replace the L-Trigger with Jump, Y-Button with Shield, and the C-Stick with Tilt Attack rather than default Smash Attack. However, for the tech, the only thing that matters is the L-Trigger set to jump. So all you'd have to do is press :GCB:, then a quick simultaneous input of :GCLT:+:GCRT:+:GCZ:. Pretty easy, using the index+middle finger of my right hand for the two and left middle finger for the one. It took a minute to get down properly, but easily executable now.
Ah I see. I ended up switching L trigger to special and I found a neat way to pull off the znade much easier. If you hold the special (B) button and buffer a grab + jump at the same time you instantly jump with a grenade in your hand. So basically with this control scheme I push L trigger and buffer Z + jump (with X) and I'm in the air with a grenade. I've been able to juggle them a bit and I'm practicing some combos.

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
I know it hasn't been brought up but our grabs. According to Kuroganehammer. Our best grab is our normal standing grab, next being our pivot grab, and lastly being our dash grab. Data below. Just utilize dash cancelling and do normal grabs accordingly to not leave yourself as vulnerable as you could be.

Standing Grab
  • Active Hitbox: 8-9
  • FAF: 35
Dash Grab
  • Active Hitbox: 11-12
  • FAF: 43
Pivot Grab
  • Active Hitbox: 9-10
  • FAF: 38

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Didn't know about the C-4 B-reversal! So do you pop the C-4 and instantly flick the opposite direction? I'll have to give it a try sometime and maybe I'll dedicate a video to nothing but C-4 stunts and combos.
I don't think you can reverse the second time you use c4, but only when snake is putting the c4 down. I find it easy to do if I have my stick in the notch closest to the bottom then flick to the opposite direction right before Snake pulls out the C4. It's also a nice recovery mix-up to do Reverse C4, then reverse grenade (usually throwing grenade straight up is the best way to go)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Bumper jumper in this game is godlike, especially with the attack cancel tech it makes it easier. The fact that it makes insta picking up grenades easier is awesome.

Bumper jumper i.e. is using a shoulder button as a jump button.

Also you can do dash attack cancel into grab to do a boost grab with better range and a bit less lag than dash grab. If you have tilt stick on, start running and use the rigt stick to dash attack, then immediately after press your grab button.

Last edited:

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
If it hasn't already been mentioned, SH down-air > jab 1 and 2 > sticky bomb is a very good jab lock setup. It works at around 20-40% depending on the character and it's recommended that you do it against big bodies such as K. Rool and Bowser because the jab hitbox is so high. While it's not impossible to hit characters such as Mario with it, you have to time the jab just as they bounce off the ground, so it may not be worth going for. Some characters like Pichu can't get hit at all as far as I could tell.

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
I'll have to test out that Sticky set up, however the trick is probably more along the lines of getting the entire dair down, or just the last hit.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I'll have to test out that Sticky set up, however the trick is probably more along the lines of getting the entire dair down, or just the last hit.
The percent ranges I provided were under the assumption that the entire dair landed, so if you only hit with the last hitbox, the setup would go on for a bit longer.

the_lennyface

Smash Rookie
If it hasn't already been mentioned, SH down-air > jab 1 and 2 > sticky bomb is a very good jab lock setup. It works at around 20-40% depending on the character and it's recommended that you do it against big bodies such as K. Rool and Bowser because the jab hitbox is so high. While it's not impossible to hit characters such as Mario with it, you have to time the jab just as they bounce off the ground, so it may not be worth going for. Some characters like Pichu can't get hit at all as far as I could tell.
Dang that sounds insanely dope. Gonna have to use that and tear up Bowsers from now on.

Also practice with your Nikita Missile. That thing is very good in this game. Use it to pressure, edgeguard, kill, hell i even use it as a ghetto Fsmash sometimes.
This thing is seriously OP. I made a video about it to show the effects it has against reflectors and other special moves in the game. I'm sure there's a ton of content that I missed but well I tried lol.

https://youtu.be/-P8eI6tsSys

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Snake's D-smash has deceptively good range beneath him, enough that it can punish ledge-regrabs. The KB angle is also pretty nasty

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Snake's D-smash has deceptively good range beneath him, enough that it can punish ledge-regrabs. The KB angle is also pretty nasty
I love to U-smash the ledge, dash dance then D-smash with the first hit going away from the ledge. That way if they roll, they get caught by the first hit, and if they shield grab the second hit, U-smash will cover you. If they shield it all, then I'm pretty sure the shield KB on the U-smash will push them too far to grab you.

Top Bottom