• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Hey there everyone. I don't play competitively, but I have been consistently better than all of my friends/brothers, but they are getting used to all my tricks. I have plateaued; what can I do to keep my Ike getting better. Any new techniques people have come up with?

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Another ike main!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):psycho::psycho::psycho::psycho::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:ANYWAYS practice< learn< study. I have spent countless hours just searching the endless depths of youtube for obscure or new ike tech. Also find a training buddy with about equal skill. Playing them will help with learning neutral and perfecting new tech and learning how to adapt. I'll be around so ill try to answer any questions.

Arrei

Smash Lord
You shouldn't really need more tricks in your repertoire - mainly because Ike doesn't really have them. We've said before Ike relies heavily on fundamentals, and that includes making sure you don't get predictable. Don't always approach the same way, don't always try to evade the same way. For example, I often catch myself trying to jump in on my opponent too much, which sometimes gets me punished. If my opponent's started to get wise to that, then I may stay to the ground more, watching to see if they're throwing out whiffs in the air expecting me to jump, and if so I try to get a feel for when it's still safe to jump in so that they don't subsequently adapt to my ground approaches. Or, if they're sitting in shield against my aerial approaches, I pull out tomahawk grabs. But then they start to get wise to that, so maybe I just land and throw out a jab or tilt to thwart the OoS option I'm predicting. In this scenario, a raw tilt on a shield sounds like a stupid idea on paper, but it's exactly because they're been trying to pick up on my habits that they drop shield and get a free trip to the moon courtesy of Utilt.

It's not about the number of tricks you have, but the way you use them.

(Of course, some characters have a lot more tricks than others so they're high tier)

Last edited:

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Glory12Hound, I know right haha, it feels like there arn't many around here anymore. Searching youtube doesn't sound like a bad idea. Arrei, I find myself jumping as an approach as well; usually if they have shield up I double jump away(I need to tomahawk grab more). I do try to condition the people I play against, but mind games are hard to do against quicker characters. You are right, tricks are not necessarily everything, I like to do reverse B eruption just to look cool though lol. Mixing up is definitely something I need to work on. I have trouble staying away from air attacks though; Ike's are so strong and have great reach. I do like up tilt! But It always lands with the sour spot. Same with Up/ Side smash =(.

Eevee 8

Smash Rookie
NNID
EV666
As an Ike main i can give you ideas. If your friends, Brothers. Etc. Are learning your style you will eventually be beaten do this... Throw a freaking monkey wrench in your gameplay. Lets say you play the hit n' run style "hypothetically speaking" try a neutral game or even vicious do something they would never expect and work with it yourself by figuring out best ways to recover from this style. Thats what i did. I made SO MANY mad at my neutral game/keep away they thought i was playing like a noob hmmm after 14 years of Smash i doubt im a noob lol

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Eevee 8, That is something I like to do but my friends/brothers are super competitive lol. Something we have tried to do recently is play with items; very fun matches! I do like to play offense, but playing more defensive would help. It's not a noob tactic, it is bait and punish, and requires a bunch of patience!

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Yes I know ike is a lot of fundamentals but.... there always more u can learn and discover with ike. Especially his kill options like up-throw f-air 50-/50.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Yes I know ike is a lot of fundamentals but.... there always more u can learn and discover with ike. Especially his kill options like up-throw f-air 50-/50.
I can never get that throw correctly; I usually have to bait an air dodge for a forward air or up air. Also still working on early percent throws into back air.

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
I can never get that throw correctly; I usually have to bait an air dodge for a forward air or up air. Also still working on early percent throws into back air.
U really don't need to learn that fair works just fine. Because bair does only 1% more damage. As for the up-throw fair. try testing it against different weight characters at different %'s and get used to learning how to predict the % it will work at. For example, i know that it starts killing DK at around 120% and starts killing Mewtwo at around 80%. But remember even if u miss your first 50/50 there are always more options like landing n-air becouse it always leads to a kill from about 80 to 120% (However it takes a lot of practice)

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
U really don't need to learn that fair works just fine. Because bair does only 1% more damage. As for the up-throw fair. try testing it against different weight characters at different %'s and get used to learning how to predict the % it will work at. For example, i know that it starts killing DK at around 120% and starts killing Mewtwo at around 80%. But remember even if u miss your first 50/50 there are always more options like landing n-air becouse it always leads to a kill from about 80 to 120% (However it takes a lot of practice)
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to get some more practice in with the up throw. I always double jump too slow. Dang, is that 80% at the ledge or in the center of the stage?

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Edge. But personally, i use up-air more then f-air because it's slightly easier and it can catch air dodges really well. (P.S. I haven't tested if f-air kills at that percent but I know for sure up-air does :))

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Edge. But personally, i use up-air more then f-air because it's slightly easier and it can catch air dodges really well. (P.S. I haven't tested if f-air kills at that percent but I know for sure up-air does :))
I tend to use up air for baiting air dodges. Never really use it after a throw, but that is a really good idea! Fair is pretty much as good as it was in brawl, but it still lacks that ridiculous range. I miss Ike's range =(.

Top Bottom