• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do when introducing a newbie to Falcon

Janky_CNF

Smash Rookie
So, yeah, title basically says it all, but I've been trying to get my two friends into Melee for some time now. Finally, they're coming around to it. One picked Fox, one picked Falcon. Problem is, the Falcon has NO IDEA what to do 95% of the time, and well, I don't really understand much of the character myself. That's why I'm here.

What's some good habits, tricks, drills, guides, tournament sets, that could help me get this guy started? Keep in mind he is fairly new to the scene and is trying his best to learn tech.

I'm also currently trying to get him to make an account on here so that he can learn a bit more, and I'm going to show him this thread to help.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
So, yeah, title basically says it all, but I've been trying to get my two friends into Melee for some time now. Finally, they're coming around to it. One picked Fox, one picked Falcon. Problem is, the Falcon has NO IDEA what to do 95% of the time, and well, I don't really understand much of the character myself. That's why I'm here.

What's some good habits, tricks, drills, guides, tournament sets, that could help me get this guy started? Keep in mind he is fairly new to the scene and is trying his best to learn tech.

I'm also currently trying to get him to make an account on here so that he can learn a bit more, and I'm going to show him this thread to help.
Before we can answer specific questions, we need to establish just what the Falcon is doing right now in order to give specific advice since it will be difficult to truly help him find his way to improve otherwise. Is he lacking in particular combos? Kill setups? Neutral? Movement? I ask this in terms of beginning players since every beginner can improve in all areas, it's just that the largest weak spots have to be addressed first. So it would be nice if the Falcon also would be asking questions or telling what he is currently doing in order to help him without ending up being too general and missing key areas that is needed.

Edit: As for much of the general stuff, there are many guides here on the Falcon boards to start out in. I may give some general advice though for later.

Edit 2: Ok I'll give some advice to start on. The Falcon should use much of his movement options since he has many. Use the grab and follow up with his aerials like Uair, Nair, and Fair.

Last edited:

Janky_CNF

Smash Rookie
Before we can answer specific questions, we need to establish just what the Falcon is doing right now in order to give specific advice since it will be difficult to truly help him find his way to improve otherwise. Is he lacking in particular combos? Kill setups? Neutral? Movement? I ask this in terms of beginning players since every beginner can improve in all areas, it's just that the largest weak spots have to be addressed first. So it would be nice if the Falcon also would be asking questions or telling what he is currently doing in order to help him without ending up being too general and missing key areas that is needed.

Edit: As for much of the general stuff, there are many guides here on the Falcon boards to start out in. I may give some general advice though for later.

Edit 2: Ok I'll give some advice to start on. The Falcon should use much of his movement options since he has many. Use the grab and follow up with his aerials like Uair, Nair, and Fair.
Alright, first off, thanks for the reply!

He's currently having trouble moving and edgeguarding, with neutral actually being a decent point for him bare in mind he doesn't just run in and do ****.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Alright, first off, thanks for the reply!

He's currently having trouble moving and edgeguarding, with neutral actually being a decent point for him bare in mind he doesn't just run in and do ****.
Okay, so he is at least at the point of not being too crazy that he kills himself, that's hard to turn around psychologically. If he has trouble moving around, he needs to start practicing the basics. You already know of the basic movement techniques of dash-dancing and wavedashing/wavelanding. Falcon has the longest dash-dance in the game and a decent wavedash and waveland. My advice is to practice dash-dancing first. Focus first on using the furthest length of the dash and then dash right back, then focus on shorter lengths. Then combine the two in order to move across the stages without coming out of the dash-dance. To get a clearer idea of the length, practice it on all of the stages main platforms since the dash-dance length covers each one. After that, practice the furthest wavedash and waveland lengths to gain access to more spacing options since they can be combined with dash-dancing and can increase landing options, etc.

Once he is comfortable with his movement, then he can start applying it with aerials and grabs to space you out or start a punish.

In terms of edgeguarding, there are different ways to edgeguard with Falcon. On fast-fallers, if a spacie is close enough to the stage, Falcon can catch them with an offstage soft knee to an Uair followup to ultimately knock them away. After that, Up B back to the ledge. Another thing that Falcon needs to use for edguarding is ledgehop aerials. Since Falcon has his own invincible ledge-stalls, he can use them to keep control of the ledge and stay safe if done correctly. This forces the opponents to go on stage and since most good characters have significant landing lag after the recovery, Falcon can ledgehop and jump back onto the stage while using an aerial. If the opponent lands on a platform, use the Uair in order to clip the opponent with the toes and then punish off of the hit. If the opponent lands right in front of you on the stage, come onto the stage with the knee (try to get the reverse hitbox in order to guarantee that the opponent will be sent right back off the stage, if you don't, the opponent has the chance to live longer). There is of course the ledge hop Bair to hit the offstage opponents away again, but that can be risky in most of the situations that it can be used in comparison to the other methods (except for it being used like Fox's Bair to cover the illusion and stuff like that).

All in all, what your friend should be doing with Falcon is to control all of his movement options to create pressure on his opponents and use the previously mentioned techniques and edgeguards. Once he's comfortable on that end, then he can look forward to stuff like optimizing his punish game going on combos from 0-death or at least 70-80% or exploring more of the newer options that even the top players are trying to explore.

f14M35

Smash Rookie
Have your friend watch the SSBM Tutorial video called Falcon Drills, it just came out a few days ago. Can't link it because I'm at school right now

Top Bottom