• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do vs swordman????

roflJumper

Smash Cadet
Hello fellow Marios. I was originally a Marth main but after realizing mario fits my style much better I've done a switch. My Mario is equally good vs most of the characters compared to Marth. Except for one. Marth.

I don't know what to do! I try being far away so that his F-smash can't hit me but I'm rareley able to get there fast enough to punish him. Also, I've tried playing doc and that helped but I wanna be a true Mario main.

Primary questions:

How do I punish him when F-smashing?

How should I play the neutral game?

Are there any certain attacks that are extra good vs Marth?

What do I do if he just spams F-airs?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to beast 5 and I don't want some random Marth F-smashing me all over the place.

What to do???? Thankfull for general tips also! :)

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
Hello fellow Marios. I was originally a Marth main but after realizing mario fits my style much better I've done a switch. My Mario is equally good vs most of the characters compared to Marth. Except for one. Marth.

I don't know what to do! I try being far away so that his F-smash can't hit me but I'm rareley able to get there fast enough to punish him. Also, I've tried playing doc and that helped but I wanna be a true Mario main.

Primary questions:

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to beast 5 and I don't want some random Marth F-smashing me all over the place.

I don't main Mario, nor do I have much experience with the Marth/Mario matchup, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdHFxNfmPvU

This is like one of the only high-levenl Mario/Marth matches I could find. I know Mario loses, but you can still learn a lot about the matchup.

Some things I did notice:

Crouch cancelling works pretty well in the matchup. That's kinda true no matter what character you're playing against Marth. Marth gets CC'd a lot.

In general shielding Marth's fsmash and wavedashing OoS forward is good to punish. I mean it's good against a lot of Marth's stuff. You'll see Rookie do it a couple of times. He'll wavedash forward OoS into dsmash or something.

Also he doesn't really approach that much. He kinda dashdances right outside Marth's range and tries to bait something out. Which is kinda just a major technique in Melee anyway.

Fireballs are good for covering high recoveries, I guess.

Goddamn crouch cancelling against Marth is so good.

Game 3 Mario would have gone Dreamland but PPU probably banned it. If Marth doesn't ban Dreamland, pick it. Yoshi's was probably a bad idea.

Good luck!

a rookie

Smash Ace

Primary questions:

Punish F-smash by wavedash out of shield dsmash or grab. You can't punish Marth if they tipper your shield though :p

Play the neutral game by staying outside of his range, shoot fireballs, and approach w/ wavedash shield

Fsmash/Ftilt/fireball/uptilt/dsmash are probably the best moves vs Marth.

If Marth spams fairs, space the fairs and hit him in the face w/ a well spaced fsmash. Or shoot fireballs to make him stop.

But yeah, if Marth is spamming F-smash, just shield a lot and punish them accordingly to force them to stop or at least 2nd guess themselves :p

Here's another set for a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-tb7tigvlI

Top Bottom