• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What To Do At Your First Tournament: Featuring Tafokints!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

There have been many newcomers to the Smash community as of late which has been wonderful for the scene. However, there are still those out there who might be nervous about attending their first event. California Smasher, tournament organizer, and blogger for MeleeItOnMe Daniel "Tafokints" Lee is here to help! He stars in a recent video released on the SSBM Tutorials Youtube channel that covers what players need to do at their first event. Give this a watch and go look for an event happening soon near you too attend!

SmashCapps found this humorous and informative. To follow his current tournament going adventures (he's on his way to Evo!) follow him on Twitter.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Great video as always MIMO! My only advice would be to go to your first tourney with the mindset of giving your best and learning from your losses and wins as much as you can.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Thanks so much! It's always hard to do the first event I'm guessing. Hope I can get the guts to try one out soon!

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Thanks so much! It's always hard to do the first event I'm guessing. Hope I can get the guts to try one out soon!
lol dude don't think just go

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Can we please find a new picture to use for this guy ? I have seen that same picture three times. lol

The Dark Hero 64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperMarioHeroes
3DS FC
0688-5841-0833
i hope that someday in my life, i can participate at tournaments :D i want to show at everyone how strong i am :D

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I thought the way this was written was really funny! "Can I keep bothering you and invading your personal space?"

This also taught me a few things about tournaments that I didn't know, like how I could bring my own setup. Thanks!

L1nk3r

Smash Rookie
NNID
Froggyfroggyfrog
If you go to a sm4sh tournament and your main controller is the Wii U Gamepad do you have to take your own Wii U Gamepad with you?
saw the answears thanks i'll use my Wii U Pro Crontroller then

Last edited:

The Dark Hero 64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperMarioHeroes
3DS FC
0688-5841-0833
If you go to a sm4sh tournament and your main controller is the Wii U Gamepad do you have to take your own Wii U Gamepad with you?
I'm not sure but i guess that you'll have to buy a gamecube controler.
I also have the wii u gamepad as a main controler ;D
But i didn't went to a tournament :(. hope i could :4darkpit:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
The GamePad only works on your Wii U, it would not work on someone else's.
Despite having my first tournament on March/April (don't really remember), I still get nervous when I go to a tournament. This will help!

The Dark Hero 64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperMarioHeroes
3DS FC
0688-5841-0833
The GamePad only works on your Wii U, it would not work on someone else's.
Despite having my first tournament on March/April (don't really remember), I still get nervous when I go to a tournament. This will help!
I don't know how it feels but i'll be happy if i could go there :D

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
AFAIK the GamePad isn't allowed at tournaments because only one can be connected to the system at a time. That's the main reason I switched to the GameCube controller.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
the cpu's are becoming unbearable. Someone tries bring a tourney to Vidalia GA? IS IT ECOFRIENDLY? DOES IT HAVE DRUGS?! You'd have to go through too much hate in redneck country. -_- haaaaaate it

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Great Video! All newcomers to competitive smash should check this out. And what he's saying is true 99% of the time, nearly everyone in the smash scene is friendly and helpful, yeah you may run into a jerk every now and then but it's really rare. Get out there and have fun, and remember, losing only makes you stronger. A master has failed a thousand times where as a beginner has only tried once.

poisn

Smash Rookie
just go guys, it's a really fun experience and if they seed you low you get to play top players in your weekly in round 1 or 2, which is really a learning experience

LaFin

Smash Rookie
Going to my first tournament this weekend, only been playing smash for two months, so hype!

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
What he told us not to do to a top player is what me and my friend did at a tournament... XD

Tsukuokami

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tsukuokami
Going to my 4th tourney. When I went to my first someone gave me some advice which was pretty helpful when you say people are nice there they really are to anyone going to their first tourneys.

Top Bottom