• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do against spot dodge spammers

xxdavis97

Smash Rookie
NNID
OutcastCarrot97
I'm playing for glory and some people spot dodge literally everything and I can't fight back is there a way to counter this

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
Here's what I do. Sometimes I just randomly run up to them or jump toward them without putting out an attack. Basically I'm baiting out a spot dodge and then I punish them.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Run up to them, stop, and FSmash. Running USmash also works. Timing depends on your character, but smash attacks generally punish spot dodgers pretty well. Lingering attacks like multi-jabs also do the trick.

Fooni

Smash Rookie
NNID
FooniVentes
3DS FC
4399-2109-4287
I'm playing for glory and some people spot dodge literally everything and I can't fight back is there a way to counter this
Pretty much what maheen says. Also if you go up to them and they spot dodge,
do a Down A charge attack and hold it and give it a second and then release.
This works well if you play shulk, it will never miss. If they are air dodging, hm....
i think its a matter of predicting their skills.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
Probably not applicable to you, but Lucas's down smash is hilarious against spotdodge spammers. They dodge the first hit, but then the second smashes them in their face. They'll get used to it, sure, but that's when I start mixing in his super-quick forward smash as well.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Spot Dodges are great and all, but those who spam it will inevitably face the same problems against opponents who also punish Roll spammers, which are countered by nearly the same thing. Rolls and Spot Dodges both have invincibility frames, but there are quite a few frames that leave the character vulnerable as well. If you're having trouble finding that point when they're vulnerable, try using an attack that lasts more frames than usual; most characters have a few of these. Some more extreme examples of these moves would be Shulk's D-Smash, Lucas' D-Smash, lingering jabs, even D-Tilts, or any skill that simply lingers around longer than usual.

Once you grow comfortable with your character, you can even start punishing these people with Dash Attacks and Grabs. Generally, I like to throw Spot Dodgers, Rollers and Air Dodge spammers into the same group, because more often than not, they share an inability to deal with you once you are able to get in on them and usually start to panic, and don't put up much more of a fight.

Unfortunately, there are factors such as lag that make these people flourish a bit more (probably partially why it's such a popular way to play), but generally speaking, they can be punished with a bit of practise in normal circumstances.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
If you have a multi-hit move, use that. I am thinking of Peach's down smash or even her down air. It is simply a matter of timing and reacting. Once you have gotten those down, then you may proceed against spot dodgers.

I recommend citrus fruits to focus and for its many health benefits.
"Vitamin C as an antioxidant: evaluation of its role in disease prevention."
http://www.researchgate.net/publica..._evaluation_of_its_role_in_disease_prevention

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Well there's a few things you can do...
  • Jab - If you're playing as a faster character (such as Falcon), and you hold down A without any directional input (or whatever your standard attack is set to), he will infinitely jab1 until someone runs into him, or you stop pressing the button. If someone spot dodges and you do this next to them, they'll be safe for a second, but literally the frame the spot-dodge invincibility wears off, they'll be caught in a jab1-jab2-jab3 cluster. This works best for most faster characters. This will not work too well if you're playing as someone like Ganon or Roy who only have a jab1 and takes a while for it to reset.
  • Pivot - Run right up to them, then keep running as you go past them. But right as you go past them, pivot (turn around) and throw out an attack or a grab. If done right, you'll catch them before they have a chance to react.
  • Multi-hit attack - very similar to the jab punishment, the Multihit attacks are a great option against spot dodgers. A few notable ones are Shulk's downsmash, Peach's downsmash, Yoshi's/Jigglypuff's/Fox's dair, end of Roy's dancing blade (when holding down), and other moves like that. If done right, they will be frame trapped.
  • Charged or Smash attack - My personal favorite punishment for spot-dodgers, charging something up, whether it's a Forward Smash or a Neutral B, they're all a blast to punish with. Since most of these take a little longer to come out, they do the hard work for you, and time it well. You will need to be a little more precise depending on the character, but when you figure it out, it's an awesome punish.
  • Bait with a projectile - Throw out a projectile following by you approaching the opponent. If they spotdodge the projectile, you punish them for it. If they shield the projectile, follow up with a grab. If they run, then repeat.
Just a few things I could think of. Hope I helped.

xxdavis97

Smash Rookie
NNID
OutcastCarrot97
Spot Dodges are great and all, but those who spam it will inevitably face the same problems against opponents who also punish Roll spammers, which are countered by nearly the same thing. Rolls and Spot Dodges both have invincibility frames, but there are quite a few frames that leave the character vulnerable as well. If you're having trouble finding that point when they're vulnerable, try using an attack that lasts more frames than usual; most characters have a few of these. Some more extreme examples of these moves would be Shulk's D-Smash, Lucas' D-Smash, lingering jabs, even D-Tilts, or any skill that simply lingers around longer than usual.

Once you grow comfortable with your character, you can even start punishing these people with Dash Attacks and Grabs. Generally, I like to throw Spot Dodgers, Rollers and Air Dodge spammers into the same group, because more often than not, they share an inability to deal with you once you are able to get in on them and usually start to panic, and don't put up much more of a fight.

Unfortunately, there are factors such as lag that make these people flourish a bit more (probably partially why it's such a popular way to play), but generally speaking, they can be punished with a bit of practise in normal circumstances.
Gotcha, I used to spot dodge spam in melee then my friend caught on by shield stopping(can you do that in smash 4?) I play sheik and Roy in smash 4 btw

xxdavis97

Smash Rookie
NNID
OutcastCarrot97
Well there's a few things you can do...
  • Jab - If you're playing as a faster character (such as Falcon), and you hold down A without any directional input (or whatever your standard attack is set to), he will infinitely jab1 until someone runs into him, or you stop pressing the button. If someone spot dodges and you do this next to them, they'll be safe for a second, but literally the frame the spot-dodge invincibility wears off, they'll be caught in a jab1-jab2-jab3 cluster. This works best for most faster characters. This will not work too well if you're playing as someone like Ganon or Roy who only have a jab1 and takes a while for it to reset.
  • Pivot - Run right up to them, then keep running as you go past them. But right as you go past them, pivot (turn around) and throw out an attack or a grab. If done right, you'll catch them before they have a chance to react.
  • Multi-hit attack - very similar to the jab punishment, the Multihit attacks are a great option against spot dodgers. A few notable ones are Shulk's downsmash, Peach's downsmash, Yoshi's/Jigglypuff's/Fox's dair, end of Roy's dancing blade (when holding down), and other moves like that. If done right, they will be frame trapped.
  • Charged or Smash attack - My personal favorite punishment for spot-dodgers, charging something up, whether it's a Forward Smash or a Neutral B, they're all a blast to punish with. Since most of these take a little longer to come out, they do the hard work for you, and time it well. You will need to be a little more precise depending on the character, but when you figure it out, it's an awesome punish.
  • Bait with a projectile - Throw out a projectile following by you approaching the opponent. If they spotdodge the projectile, you punish them for it. If they shield the projectile, follow up with a grab. If they run, then repeat.
Just a few things I could think of. Hope I helped.
Yeah that helped a ton I'll start implementing thank you!:D

Top Bottom