• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do against a spammy Zelda in FG?

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
I was trying to play some Pac-Man in For Glory, and I ended up with this one opponent who I was able to beat his first 2-3 characters, but then switched to Zelda and ended up spamming neutral B's and up+B's, which I found myself unable to really do anything about online, even when I switched to Lucina and Wii Fit Trainer. The Nayru's Love has projectile reflection, multiple hits, and very little cooldown, so I ended up getting hit with my various attempts at hitting Zelda inbetween castings. The up+B Wind was also becoming a problem because I can't tell where she's gonna end up, and when used from ground to ground, again there's not really much cooldown before she's either using Nayru again or vanishing off to elsewhere.

What are you supposed to do against that? I'm assuming that's just a "For Glory" cheap tactic that doesn't work offline against good players, but unlike reading roll spammers, I'm not really sure what to do about it.

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
I tried shielding and punishing the Nayru's Love spam, but dropping the shield after the last hit to try and attack would just cause me to get hit by the next Nayru's Love.

Darktundra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jokton
I tried shielding and punishing the Nayru's Love spam, but dropping the shield after the last hit to try and attack would just cause me to get hit by the next Nayru's Love.
If Nayru's was that safe lolol
Punish Nayru's with quick moves like jab or shield grab

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
The final hitbox of Nayru's Love is frame 28 and it has a FAF of 60 meaning it has 32 frames of endlag where you're free to punish her with basically anything in the game. That's a little more than a half a second. If you're having trouble punishing it, it's probably because of your connection since 32 frames is basically a lifetime in terms of punishing.

The same goes for FW. The initial hitbox of FW is frame 7 and the reappear doesn't occur until frame 41 meaning you have 41 frames to react to her disappear meaning you have 41 frames to put your shield up. There is no other option against this that is better than to simply shield it. Furthermore, the reappear hitbox only lasts from frame 41 to frame 42 and has a FAF of 81 total giving you about 40 frames to punish her reappear which is, again, a lifetime. If you're not able to punish this, then it's absolutely lag getting in the way. Basically, you have from frame 7 when you see that Zelda has initiated the teleport, to frame 81 (Nearly an entire 1.5 seconds) to shield the reappear and punish her. Basically, to me, it sounds like you've got some serious input delay going on if you can't punish stuff like this. Might wanna check your internet connection.

Also remember that Zelda tends to lose against characters that outspace her like Shulk with his... everything and ZSS who can zair, side-B, etc. with no fear of those attacks being reflected while also being outside of the range of Nayru's Love so there's absolutely no risk for throwing these kinds of attacks out when you see Zelda initiate Nayru's Love. It also makes it a lot easier to hit Zelda when she's attacked your shield. Zelda usually doesn't do a lot of shield pushback but if you do get pushed back by stuff like FW snipes, using a long range attack like those characters have means you don't have to reposition in order to get the punish.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
The up+B Wind was also becoming a problem because I can't tell where she's gonna end up, and when used from ground to ground, again there's not really much cooldown before she's either using Nayru again or vanishing off to elsewhere.
Um hate to be condescending but there is a loT of cooldown after grounded Farore's. Like, a Robin with his turtle run speed could punish a whiffed grounded Farore with a Smash attack from across Temple (not really but you get the idea)

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Hmm i think you should wait around until they Nerf her when the new patch with Shrek and Ridely come out as dlc. :troll:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Hmm i think you should wait around until they Nerf her when the new patch with Shrek and Ridely come out as dlc. :troll:
They'll nerf Zelda because they'll release Toon Zelda who'll be broken tier to compensate.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
They'll nerf Zelda because they'll release Toon Zelda who'll be broken tier to compensate.
Oh yeah, that's true. In a 'Sakurai' sense of things..
They'll just remove her from the game or if lazy, cover her slot picture tile thing with Sheiks. ('Buffing' Sheiks Picture to a larger rectangular shape.Then nerfing Greninja.)

Last edited:

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
Basically, to me, it sounds like you've got some serious input delay going on if you can't punish stuff like this. Might wanna check your internet connection.
Yeah, my connection does tend to be pretty bad. I usually try and play online when nobody else is around doing internet-related things to make it at least bearable. Sometimes input delay means I just need to press stuff sooner, but when dealing with spammy opponents (attacks, rolls, grabs), it really feels like throwing out an attack that should connect with their vulnerable frames ends up with the game informing me that they've already started their next move and I can't hit them anymore for whatever reason.

I really felt like I weren't in FG, I'd have had more success dash-grabbing Zelda between Nayru's Love castings using Wii Fit Trainer. WFT may have a number of flaws, but grabbing opponents who aren't short/crouching isn't one of them.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
Another thing is nayrus love covers mainly the sides of zelda, so if you hit from above it will connect as long as she is not in invincibility.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There were spamming Nayru's Love? Just shield from it the moment she disappears and punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom