• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do after the first down throw combo?

NTGKOA

Smash Rookie
So you get a grab at 0% d-throw, fair, fair. they're around 35%
What combos work after that? Most I can get is a single fair on d-throws after I land the first d-throw combo.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Usually I either do jab combo or go for another grab. Double/triple up-tilt after a 0% string works sometimes too. Jab combo is probably your safest bet though in most situations, since his jab is one of the better ones in the game IMO with good damage, range, and attack speed. You can even do jab or jab + jab (depending on how confident you feel) and follow up with pummel + down throw. That's like ~50% damage right there and possibly more, all from one grab.

Last edited:

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Dependent on on the situation/character I will do the following:

D-Throw> Fair > Fireball - This is because it's essentially guaranteed damage and more importantly establishing stage control and allowing Luigi to walk forward and begin to intimidate my opponent.

D-Throw> U-air - More damaging than fair (not by much but all damage counts) - When I fastfall I can also go for jab/s to try and correctly predict the opponent's landing if I can get a grab/pivot grab reset I'll go for that as well.

D-Throw> F-air > N-air - Long as we do this correctly it's 27/29% and I believe it is actually true combo against Diddy need to test whether good DI on his part as well as well timed U-air from him beats us out. I think because of the fact we can move fairly well whilst we fair and go for the FF N-air we should be fine regardless... though if I am too optimistic that is why I would go for the first option I listed if you do not feel like giving opponents small gaps to escape your own pressure.

D-Throw> U-Smash - Under 20% is legit but the thing is unless you want a reset immediately after there is not much of a point but as this is under utilized it came in handy every once in awhile.

Hope this helps...

SuperOven

Smash Rookie
Dependent on on the situation/character I will do the following:

D-Throw> Fair > Fireball - This is because it's essentially guaranteed damage and more importantly establishing stage control and allowing Luigi to walk forward and begin to intimidate my opponent.

D-Throw> U-air - More damaging than fair (not by much but all damage counts) - When I fastfall I can also go for jab/s to try and correctly predict the opponent's landing if I can get a grab/pivot grab reset I'll go for that as well.

D-Throw> F-air > N-air - Long as we do this correctly it's 27/29% and I believe it is actually true combo against Diddy need to test whether good DI on his part as well as well timed U-air from him beats us out. I think because of the fact we can move fairly well whilst we fair and go for the FF N-air we should be fine regardless... though if I am too optimistic that is why I would go for the first option I listed if you do not feel like giving opponents small gaps to escape your own pressure.

D-Throw> U-Smash - Under 20% is legit but the thing is unless you want a reset immediately after there is not much of a point but as this is under utilized it came in handy every once in awhile.

Hope this helps...
From my testing, I've found diddy can get out of fair nair. I haven't thought of the fireball one, I will try that next time I get a chance.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
So you get a grab at 0% d-throw, fair, fair. they're around 35%
What combos work after that? Most I can get is a single fair on d-throws after I land the first d-throw combo.
So you're asking what works after the first fair string? Dependent on how heavy or floaty the character is, you can sometimes get another fair string in.

50+%: I really enjoy going for dair combos after this because they bounce off of the ground at this percent and you can do some flashy things. My favorite at the moment is dair spike > bair. You have no idea how many times I've gotten "wow, that combo is pretty cool" haha. It's pretty enjoyable to hit.

70+%: Dependent on the character, this is dthrow > short hop > up b range. It usually doesnt kill this early but this is when you can usually start to hit it with ease

120+%: Dthrow > nair usually kills here haha. Its such a simple KO.

But if we're only talking around 35%, that's really up to how creative and effective you want to be. You could get dthrow to almost anything and after that, depending on their DI, you can get any other aerial. Or you could fast fall and see if you can get a few up tilts or an up smash out of it.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
From my testing, I've found diddy can get out of fair nair. I haven't thought of the fireball one, I will try that next time I get a chance.
Yeah it's either he gets out freely or we have to be tight as both our nair/u-air is 3 frames

Top Bottom