• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What tier would Falcon be in if he kept his hitstun from Melee?

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
multiple air dodges= kind of doesn't matter too much.

BUT. he definitely wouldn't be "arguably" worse than Gdorf. His quicker moves like Uair could be comboed.....maybe some knee......

stop making me dream of a day that will never come.
lol.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
It's not so much the multiple air dodges. It doesn't matter how many air dodges you have, if the hit stun is so great that you can't move till you hit the ground, you're screwed.

Falcon would be great with some hit stun. Anybody would.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
It's not so much the multiple air dodges. It doesn't matter how many air dodges you have, if the hit stun is so great that you can't move till you hit the ground, you're screwed.

Falcon would be great with some hit stun. Anybody would.
Well...if the hit stun is that great, then yea, they'd be screwed. But if we're talking melee hit stun, you could air dodge relatively soon after being hit...where hit stun came into play was after that air dodge was used. After the one it was done, as opposed to now where all it would take is one well timed airdodge (out of the limitless given to you) and you'd be out of a combo.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Well, people forget that's it's not just hitstun that nerfed Captain Falcon... Captain Falcon got nerfed with every piece of the Brawl transition.

1. No L-Cancel
2. Less Effective Fast Fall
3. No Wavedash
4. Stale Moves decreases damage and knockback.
5. Larger Short Hop
6. Less Hitstun
7. Floaty Phyisics
8. More Lag after attacks

Because of all that, Captain Falcon's arguably two greatest methods of approach are gone. SHFFL'd aerials and wavedashed grabs. Many Captain Falcon players either juggled or SHFFL'd for a large amount of their damage. Meaning, his 5 aerial attacks not only get weaker damage in Brawl but weaker knockback too.

Brawl's floaty physics make it hard to aim knees. It's far easier to aim a knee when all it takes is a shorthop in Melee. Melee's high gravity meant that players were very often on or a few inches off the ground. It's a lot harder to aim a knee when it's sweetspot was made smaller and characters are decending in the air.

Isai Stomp got nerfed hard and isn't even meteor worthy, another killer to Captain Falcon's KO repertoire.

In all, Melee's atmosphere encouraged and benefits characters like Captain Falcon which was why he was high tier. Brawl's atmosphere discourages it and Falcon got a large nerf on top of that too. That's why Falcon is now bottom tier.

Sure, Captain Falcon could use some hitstun, but that wouldn't even help him make mid tier. you could almost say Brawl's atmosphere and feel is almost anti-Falcon...

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Um... does the no L-cancel have any effect on Falcon? I mean most of his aerials auto-cancel on their own, and his fair and dair can be auto canceled if you're a bad ***. Doesn't this eliminate the need for an L-cancel?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Um... does the no L-cancel have any effect on Falcon? I mean most of his aerials auto-cancel on their own, and his fair and dair can be auto canceled if you're a bad ***. Doesn't this eliminate the need for an L-cancel?
yeah man L-cancel is essential, to falcon because you can fast fall your aerials, unlike the auto cancel

and BTW you can auto cancel Dair and Fair

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Because of all that, Captain Falcon's arguably two greatest methods of approach are gone. SHFFL'd aerials and wavedashed grabs.
I assume you mean dash-danced grabs? If you really meant wavedashed grabs then I want some of what you're smoking.

Top Bottom