• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What tier do you think Olimar will end up?***

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Yes I know, speculation, way too soon for tiers yada yada yada but at the moment Im thinking middle of high. He's got the most potential out of practically every character (awesome spacing, insane priority but with the gai recovery) but it's going to take alot of skill to get that good. We'll start seeing the True Olimar Im thinking around 1 and a bit years from now.

What are your thoughts on the future Olimar and his tier placement?

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
If I'm not mistaken, tiers are decided largely by tournament results. That means each character's tier placement will be dependent on how good he/she/it is not against all Brawl characters but against the ones who tend to place well in tournaments (ie, the (other) high-to-top tier characters). Therefore, it's difficult to judge Olimar's placement without judging where others will end up placing due to his major weakness: his relatively wimpy recovery. If the high-tier characters tend to be the types that can gimp his recovery fairly easily (ie characters with powerful horizontal-knockback moves or good edgeguarding ability, so that they can keep Olimar out long enough to edgehog him), then he will not place too well. If the other high-tier characters turn out to be the ones who don't have any special advantage against Olimar (ie bad at side-KOs or not good on levels which gimp Olimar, like Skyworld), then he will place fairly well. It's as simple as that, and therefore as complicated as that.

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
Personally I don't think skyworld should be a tournament stage. But regardless, I play him as a main and I would say with good whistle use he should be high tier. If you maximize him, he's a **** good character. Out of my group of friends, I can beat most of them (two stocks a lot of the time) with Olimar. The edge recovering is ghetto when it comes to ledge hogging. But I still think that wont nerf him too much. Usually you can just DI up and be able to get back onto stage without the recovery. Falco had a terrible triple jump and he still wasn't that low in the tiers in melee.

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
Nah, I meant not that low in the tiers as he was pretty high up. People were saying Oli isn't going to be as high in the tiers because of his "gai" recovery. Falco also has a bad recovery but he's still a strong player.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'm probably going to guess right around where Captain Falcon was in Melee. Upper-mid to high.

His recovery is worse than anyone's in Melee. And with recoveries in Brawl on average being much better than in Melee, it hurts. But the things he can do make up for the recovery are enough to still make him viable as a tournament character. This is assuming that nothing game breaking is discovered within the next year.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's horrible recovery will keep him from anywhere but high tier. It's just to bad to overlook.
Olimar's recover isn't horrible. You just have to have all your pikmin and be able to hit the opponent when edgehogging so you don't die.

He should be top-middle tier.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
high. with practice we can destroy the tether problem with a purple pikmin everytime
i agree mostly, but it still sucks , i think with the awesome range ability and his mobility, he'll be close to the top, maybe top high tier? i think he'll be behind ic, marth, and pikachu.

Top Bottom