• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What stops KO Punch?

ChrispyCreme

Smash Rookie
What tactics can be used to avoid KO Punch? I've seen a few fearless foes attack just a few frames before the punch comes out of cancel the attack, but what else can you do? I know it can't be countered, shielded, or anything of the sort. What I don't know is if it can be super armored through

PuffinToast34

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I don't usually see Little Macs :ultlittlemac:around, but my guess for dodging KO punches could be
- Dodge Rolling
- Jump around. A LOT. Doing this makes you a harder target for the opponent to hit. Slowly chip away at his percentage, while he chases you.
- I Don't think the KO Punch listens to super armor. :(

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I fought a Little Mac last night in ranked matchmaking and was totally caught off-guard by it.

"Oh! A Little Mac, he's supposed to be super low tier so this should be easy....."

I lost. Twice I got ko'd by the knockout punch at around 100%. As for how to avoid it, not a clue tbh.

Last edited:

ChrispyCreme

Smash Rookie
I don't usually see Little Macs :ultlittlemac:around, but my guess for dodging KO punches could be
- Dodge Rolling
- Jump around. A LOT. Doing this makes you a harder target for the opponent to hit. Slowly chip away at his percentage, while he chases you.
- I Don't think the KO Punch listens to super armor. :(
Jump actually may not be as great of an idea as it was in Sm4sh, as his KO Punch hitbox has more verticality in Ultimate. I know his KO Punch loses all special properties when used in the air, which as a LM main hurts

ChrispyCreme

Smash Rookie
I fought a Little Mac last night in ranked matchmaking and was totally caught off-guard by it.

"Oh! A Little Mac, he's supposed to be super low tier so this should be easy....."

I lost. Twice I got ko'd by the knockout punch at around 100%. As for how to avoid it, not a clue tbh.
Fun fact: in a recent stream Team Liquid's Hungrybox got BODIED by an online Little Mac, lost 5 games in a row before he gave up. Little Mac deserves better than bottom tier! Also, 100%? That's a hell of a patient LM, KO kills on average around 30-40%

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Fun fact: in a recent stream Team Liquid's Hungrybox got BODIED by an online Little Mac, lost 5 games in a row before he gave up. Little Mac deserves better than bottom tier! Also, 100%? That's a hell of a patient LM, KO kills on average around 30-40%
The punch wasn't ready before I got up pretty high in percent.

I think I can agree to that. I usually end up having a harder time matching up versus him than a lot of other members of the cast that are considered significantly higher tier.

Ridley gets the same treatment on tier lists tbh, so I can definitely relate. He's like 65th place right now on Eventhub, even though I do see him in tournaments, he has dedicated players that play him very well, and I really don't feel disadvantaged playing as him personally. I kind of think some of the tier list stuff is a big bunch of BS.

Last edited:

ChrispyCreme

Smash Rookie
The punch wasn't ready before I got up pretty high in percent.

I think I can agree to that. I usually end up having a harder time matching up versus him than a lot of other members of the cast that are considered significantly higher tier.

Ridley gets the same treatment on tier lists tbh, so I can definitely relate. He's like 65th place right now on Eventhub, even though I do see him in tournaments, he has dedicated players that play him very well, and I really don't feel disadvantaged playing as him personally. I kind of think some of the tier list stuff is a big bunch of BS.
That's fair, it can take a while to build. Another issue probably with the matchup is nobody bothers to learn it. Because of his supposed bottom tier status, he gets overestimated and no one knows how to actually deal with his speed and high damage.

I can't say much for Ridley, as I don't personally play him, feels weird to me, but I've seen some good players for him.

The problem is it's so early in the game's life, that no one really knows what's the meta. I'd say probably in a year or so, the tier list will probably be way different as people learn the match ups and learn new tech.

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
The best way to avoid KO punch is to reset his KO meter. After 4 seconds, any good attacks against can reset it. If he is shielding, wait it out or grab him if you're close enough, but DO NOT SHIELD PRESSURE WHILE HE IS FACING YOU. If your main has a good projectile, use it.

Zakyyn

Smash Rookie
bait the little mac and try not to go aerial or you will get punished as the guy above me said before just use a good projectile or hit him with something that has range

Top Bottom