• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Starting Moves Do You Like To Use?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
3,2,1, GO! What do you do? I'm curious about any tricks or just interesting tactics people have right when the game starts. They don't have to be the "best" option, they don't have to be particularly safe, just something interesting and potentially effective.

I remember seeing some videos of boom in falcon dittos on hyrule where his first move was consistently an ftilt (maybe angled high?). The first falcon ditto I did vs A$ a couple years back we both ended up doing it and clanking, and we instantly knew where the other had got it from. Something different than grabbing or running away or usmashing. It was cool, and I've seen a lot of people use it since.

A couple of my personal ORIGINAL favorites:

1. If you are 2p falcon vs someone who is 1p on DL, start off the game with a falcon kick. More often than not your opponent will jump into it if they haven't seen the tactic before, because ppl LOVE to jump at the start. It can end up in a tech chase depending on the situation. If they are aggressive to start you're usually safe as well because you'll be on the other side of the stage.

2. As 1p samus on DL, go straight for the flamethrower to 2p's face. They are positioned perfectly for that move to start, and people are less likely to expect early aggression out of samus.

What are you favorites?

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
DREAMLAND:
If you are 1p vs. 2p you can usually get off a hit with a quick jump [insert aerial here] unless your opponent jumps or runs to the left right away. Pika fair to upsmash can lead to an aerial chain combo. With Falcon running upsmash works surprisingly a lot. Then when they are ready for the run upsmash in the subsequent games do a run double jump upair.

HYRULE:
Falcon is one of the few characters quick enough to get off an offensive move in my experience. I pretty much always go for a quick grab, which works way more than it should. Of course, if your opponent is expecting a grab, they can get you with a ftilt. But then, if you anticipate the ftilt just stay still (or jab to protect against potential grab) and then grab during the ftilit ending lag. Fsmash can be used too. If you get the grab, you can get a quick double hit fair above the lowest platform and follow that up to a zero to death in any number of ways.

Battlecow

Play to Win
on peach's I jabgrab

On DL if I'm Ip I jump at 'em with a uair on shield because I like that positioning afterwards and if I'm anything else I run away for like a sec until I can get a non-****ty posish.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
As p2 on DL if i notice p1 always goes aggro immediately I'll dash shield to an edge and try and punish after getting pushed off.

DC-NERD

Smash Cadet
Pretend to be afk for couple of seconds and wait until my opponent foolishly approaches,then catch them with a surprise grab. Some dudes got pissed about it, but why you would even get close in the first place is beyond me.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
chris gave away one of my tactics when he COMMENTATED MY MATCH IN BROOKLYN

that i like to charge my shot at the top of dL and then cancel/platdrop aerial when they approach

on hyrule if i'm going to the left i might teleport dair or uair. it's nifty

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think there was a similar thread a while ago.

On Hyrule Falcon ditto, if you expect the opponent to run at you, a standing fair to pivot grab also works.

On dreamland as p2, run off platform left and attack (bair with falcon, laser with fox) works against running usmash falcon. And if you are the running usmash falcon (as p1), run directly to the left to usmash.

I think it really depends on who you play against though.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
How can you guys fake DS, that is messed up.
I'd rather have those who pause-spam before those will-connect Falcon Punches.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
chris gave away one of my tactics when he COMMENTATED MY MATCH IN BROOKLYN

that i like to charge my shot at the top of dL and then cancel/platdrop aerial when they approach

on hyrule if i'm going to the left i might teleport dair or uair. it's nifty
Jousuke does that too IIRC.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
pika vs falcon on hyrule since most falcons try to grab right off the bat i like to do sh dair they usually always run right into it

girffe

Smash Rookie
Depending on the matchup, I often like to jump back and throw a boomerang as link. It works well at both dealing with immediate aggression, and creating some space between me and the other player. Occasionally I'll go for an immediate grab

RickySSB

Smash Ace
In DL, using Yoshi, I wait for a parry + Utilt.
If I fail, I eat a full combo to death.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Depends on the player and the character, I study people like you wouldn't believe. If it's falcon players by example and I'm on hyrule on know their habit is either run forward for the grab or run back, space bairs or bait a approach for a grab. I usually just move a bit until I can create a good approach myself.

By same character example on DL I know a good falcon will try to control the center air space to prevent platform escapes instead of running forward and upsmashing...which is very predictable. So most likely I'm either going to the center with a air or waiting for the upsmash to abuse it.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
i like to mix it up, sometimes I just go full out attack at the beginning with little regard for punishment, otherwise I just shield on the spot.
Shielding on the spot is punishable by both grabs (obviously) and aerials. Only place this would help is against a falcon usmash

Vale

Smash Ace
pikachu: jump back --> tjolt

mario: jump back --> fireball

fox: jump back --> laser

link: jump back --> pull bomb

I think my friends might be starting to catch on. Don't know how.

Top Bottom