• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should we call Bowser's Up throw combo?

What should we call Bowser's new Up throw combos?

• Bow Wow

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Koo Pah

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Shell Shock

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • None of these

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Do we really have to name this?

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
I like Shell Shock the best. Keep in kind these are names I got off of the internet. These 3 seem to be the most popular.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'm more partial to dubbing it the Showtime than ripping off a term that was borne out of heckling.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
We've already done this. Either way, I don't like the meme, team. Seems like Koo Pah has already stuck so this is all 100% irrelevant.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm more partial to dubbing it the Showtime than ripping off a term that was borne out of heckling.
Cassius came up with it first on these boards. That's where Troof got it.

Koo-paa just sounds like baby talk to me. I'd prefer Shell Shock, Showtime, or even "Bowser Bop" ahead of "koo-paa"...

Hydrobyte

~ If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me ~
NNID
Hydrabyte
I'm not really partial to any of this really, but shellshock doesn't seem like a great name because of what the term implies. It was used to desribe the PTSD of WWI veterans experienced after battle, so it doesn't seem really appropriate to use the word for this.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm not really partial to any of this really, but shellshock doesn't seem like a great name because of what the term implies. It was used to desribe the PTSD of WWI veterans experienced after battle, so it doesn't seem really appropriate to use the word for this.
I know where the original term came from, but hell, it's been used by TMNT for ~20 years now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You shouldn't limit yourself necessarily because of a term's connotations. It's like refusing to use the word genocide because of its connotations to the holocaust, among other atrocities.

Best name is Showtime hands down. The combo isn't always leading into UAir. He also says Showtime in Bowser's Inside Story before every match.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
It was used to desribe the PTSD of WWI veterans experienced after battle, so it doesn't seem really appropriate to use the word for this.
I remember the brilliant campaign led by Bowser Wilhelm II :4bowser:

I like Showtime just for its reference to an excellent game in which Bowser was the primary protagonist. The TMNT callback is also not lost on me. I think I'd be equally invested in calling it "Pizza Time!". Koo Pah just references a dumb diddy meme that I know I would hate if I played that character. Whatever name we "pick" I can't really see commentators saying any of these. Bowser starts to Uthrow somebody, commentator says "Up Air? Up Air." Now go on, say it out loud in an exciting voice like a commentator would. "Is it the Koo pah? ITS THE KOO PAH". I'm not feeling it. And shell shock sounds even worse out loud. I just want something that is shorter than writing "Uthrow > Uair for the kill" when discussing character MUs and strategies.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Koo-paa just sounds like baby talk to me.
Any name to give a action or combination of actions together is all baby talk in this game to give commentators fluff to yelp about. It is unnecessary and just amounts to sounding obnoxious and foolish.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Any name to give a action or combination of actions together is all baby talk in this game to give commentators fluff to yelp about. It is unnecessary and just amounts to sounding obnoxious and foolish.
They've been naming moves and combos since melee.

It's GONNA happen whether we like it or not so we may as well push for something less stupid sounding...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
They've been naming moves and combos since melee.

It's GONNA happen whether we like it or not so we may as well push for something less stupid sounding...
Or.

I can let people name the things what they want and completely ignore the silly cheesy names.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
meme!

Really, we should just drop this. People are calling it the Koo Pa and we can't change that, not that there's anything we should want to change that to. Like I said: meme!

Boozer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevilBoozer
3DS FC
4124-5214-3831
Ya'll should follow that aussie geelong meta and call it the booze cruise :thumbsup:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Or.

I can let people name the things what they want and completely ignore the silly cheesy names.
Just watch tournament videos involving Bowser on mute, then, since the commentators are going to be calling it something or another... :p

Hell, KK's commentators have named Bowser's entire moveset, I believe...

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
Similar to how Robin has "checkmate," I like the ring of "game over."
If nothing else, it sounds way more intimidating that "koo-PAH." :3

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
"Shellshock" feels kind of badass to yell out loud. Y'all should try it. :seuss:
The people are going to give it a name regardless so I'm just going with whatever is the least obnoxious. Besides, TMNT reference.

Top Bottom