• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should my mains be?

SirHeru

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirHeru
3DS FC
3625-8486-0293
Hey forum. I know, the game is really young and fresh and new and we haven't discovered tips and tricks of the game yet. But I'd still like some advice on what character I should pick for my core.
My main currently is Ness, I've picked him up recently and really enjoyed playing him, he instantly because a character I feel very confident playing with. My secondary is Mega Man, he's the most "fun" for me to play with, but I'm struggling here and there and still need practise (although I manage to clutch it out against Lvl. 9 CPU's more often than it should be legal ^^). Now I'm looking for a third character, who deals well with the characters these two struggle against. I won't be playing Diddy Kong, although he's a "brain dead" character, I can't play him at all, it's...something, I'm not sure.
I play fairly decent with Link and Toon Link, but I'm not sure about these two, since they also both heavily rely on projectiles. Sheik I'd love to know how to play with but I can't really get the timing on certain attacks, follow ups and punishes. I was maining Shulk for quite some time now but ever since I got the GameCube Adapter, I'm "off" with him. I can't perform anymore.

These are some characters I played in the Past or I would be interested in, but feel free to suggest any character who you think does well against threads and fits my playstyle

Thank you :]

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I can't tell you who to main. No one can but yourself. Whoever you like using, whether they're good or bad. I used Link back in Melee even though he sucked just because I liked the playstyle.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
use the characters you LIKE, not the characters who are top tier
thats all I have to say to that

Danny3

Smash Rookie
Get a secondary/or even third main to cover weakness's present within an alternative main. As a Mid-level Mega Man main myself (I've won 18 of my last 20 on for glory) I've found mega man has few weakness's once you've mastered spacing and reflexes... however my most annoying match-up is villager due to pocket. Because of this my second options is sonic, his in-your-face fighting wrecks villager mains.

SirHeru

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirHeru
3DS FC
3625-8486-0293
Get a secondary/or even third main to cover weakness's present within an alternative main. As a Mid-level Mega Man main myself (I've won 18 of my last 20 on for glory) I've found mega man has few weakness's once you've mastered spacing and reflexes... however my most annoying match-up is villager due to pocket. Because of this my second options is sonic, his in-your-face fighting wrecks villager mains.
Thanks. :]
I kinda start liking Fox, I'll have to see, if he's fits. I mean the game is still evolving, so we won't know until quite some time.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
If you like fast, Sheik and Sonic are good.

If you like floaty, Kirby is a good choice.

Heavy, any heavy.

Depends on your playstyle.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Some may not agree but this game is the most balanced smash game that if you put the time and the effort into any character, you will dominate the metagame

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Tell us about your playstyle. Do you like to take it slow and punish when appropriate? Or rushdown the enemy with quickspeeds? Or stay back and use projectiles? Or anything else? Some more info would be nice.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
No one can choose a main for you and that's the awesome part about smash. Only you can find the character your best with.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
The character you choose depends mainly on you as many others have said. If you want a specific suggestion, I say you might want to try Lucina. She has several powerful moves and an easy learning curve, as well as a very useful neutral B. Her Neutral B can easily break shields if used to its best potential, netting you a free smash attack. Lucina covers many of the bases Ness and Mega Man miss, as she has great speed, powerful smash attacks with good range, and an adaptable spacing. She is much easier to learn than Marth, as with Marth you must learn how to use his tipper, requiring quite specific spacing.

Again, the character which is best for you can only be found by you.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Choosing a main is usually out of:

1. Is he/she OP? Do you want to win? Main.

2. Do you like the series? Do you like the character overall?

3. Do you like how a specific character plays? Do you prefer either passive or aggressive style?

But in all honesty, main Ness since you like him a lot.

_gold_

Smash Master
Anyone. Pick one from random. Any character is good enough to beat the next, so long as you take the time to train with them.

SirHeru

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirHeru
3DS FC
3625-8486-0293
Some may not agree but this game is the most balanced smash game that if you put the time and the effort into any character, you will dominate the metagame
That's what they said about Brawl when it first came out. We have to see how the metagame evolves, whether or not people way more experimantal than me find awesome and useful techs and so on.
For now I think I'll stick to Ness and have Mega Man and Fox in the back.

By the way thanks to everyone of course for answering here. :3

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Choosing a main in Sm4sh is easy. Look for a character who resonates with you and plays to your playstyle, then immediately drop them for Captain Falcon! /s
In all seriousness, I'd recommend watching professionals play at tourneys and the like. It can help narrow down your choices and see which characters look the most fun to you. It's how I got into R.O.B. and Bowser Jr. in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

SirHeru

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirHeru
3DS FC
3625-8486-0293
Choosing a main in Sm4sh is easy. Look for a character who resonates with you and plays to your playstyle, then immediately drop them for Captain Falcon!
I lol'd

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
That's what they said about Brawl when it first came out. We have to see how the metagame evolves, whether or not people way more experimantal than me find awesome and useful techs and so on.
For now I think I'll stick to Ness and have Mega Man and Fox in the back.

By the way thanks to everyone of course for answering here. :3
True. this community of Smash 4 is still very young so only time will tell

Top Bottom