• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should Mewtwo players set their C-Stick to?

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I can't figure out if I should A-stick or B-stick my C-stick. Unique advantages and disadvantages for both:

B-stick lets me change my aerial momentum with side B on the fly. I can completely reverse my trajectory for better mind games during recovery and the neutral.

A-stick lets me get my dash attack out a few frames earlier and gives me more perfectly spaced aerials, plus easy microwalks into Dtilt or utilt.

S-sticking seems a waste. No unique benefits. I figure this is a conversation worth having here.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I can't figure out if I should A-stick or B-stick my C-stick. Unique advantages and disadvantages for both:

B-stick lets me change my aerial momentum with side B on the fly. I can completely reverse my trajectory for better mind games during recovery and the neutral.

A-stick lets me get my dash attack out a few frames earlier and gives me more perfectly spaced aerials, plus easy microwalks into Dtilt or utilt.

S-sticking seems a waste. No unique benefits. I figure this is a conversation worth having here.

Just going to say that S-Sticking does allow for easy PP smashes, although A-Sticking allows for easy PP tilts which I think in Mewtwo's case are much better than smashes.

I think this question is mostly very personal if talking about general skill. You should set your stick to complement to what is hardest for you. Is it harder for you to walk->Tilts + PP->Tilts + Control aerial momentum while attacking or is it harder to B-Reverse + Wavebounce?

All of those things CAN be done without using the C-Stick, they are just relatively hard to do (it gets easier the more you practice). So the question is, which is hardest for you to do? And my answer to your question would be, set your stick to the one that's hardest for you to do and now it becomes really easy, now just practice the other thing.

I myself try practicing with and without the C-Stick set as anything so I can learn everything and I want to set my stick to whatever action I end up doing the most as C-Sticking normally allows for faster reflexes. Since Mewtwo's games is filled with Tilts and Aerials then it's pretty obvious that the answer for my own logic is setting the stick to Attack.

Now on a more personal level (character wise), I will say though that B-Stick Wavebouncing is not really useful for Mewtwo. You cannot Wavebounce Teleport or Disable and Wavebouncing Confusion doesn't really have ANY benefit over B-Reversing it. The only benefit would be "hitting" your opponent (or a projectile) with Confusion (if he was standing in front of you), but that would completely stop your momentum, so in that case you could have just performed a regular Confusion (no B-Reverse or anything) for the same result. I guess it could work for a "best of both worlds" kind of scenario where you either hit and get the results of a regular Confusion or miss and get the results of a B-Reversed Confusion.

So the only move Wavebouncing really affects is Shadow Ball. And while it has many uses with Shadow Ball, B-Sticking doesn't really help with Wavebouncing Neutral Specials (at least that I know of).

So you can just spend a couple hours learning how to B-Reverse, which isn't that hard to be honest and you probably won't need B-Sticking for anything Mewtwo related.

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Are you sure you can do all B tech without the C stick? If you hold forward on the movement stick and flick back on the C-stick, you can gain side B momentum in the direction you C-sticked without changing direction. How can you do that without the C-stick, since it only works when you are essentially inputting two different directional inputs simultaneously? Trela does this sometimes.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Are you sure you can do all B tech without the C stick? If you hold forward on the movement stick and flick back on the C-stick, you can gain side B momentum in the direction you C-sticked without changing direction. How can you do that without the C-stick, since it only works when you are essentially inputting two different directional inputs simultaneously? Trela does this sometimes.
Yes I am 100% since I can do it and I don't use the B-Sticking.

There are 3 basic "B" techs. I'll try to teach all about them.

Reverse B/Turn Around B: Turn around and perform a special move while maintaining the same momentum you had.

On most characters works on: Anything but Side-B

On Mewtwo works on: Only Neutral B

Input: While moving a certain direction quickly flick your control stick towards the opposite direction and return it to neutral then as quickly as possible input your desired Special move.

B-Reversal/B-Reverse (yea I know the name can be confusing with the first tech): Turn both your character and your momentum around while performing a special move.

On most characters works on: Everything but Up-B

On Mewtwo works on: Side-B and Neutral-B

Input: While moving a certain direction perform your desired special move (if it's side-special then input it in the same direction you're currently heading) and INSTANTLY AFTER flick the control stick towards the opposite direction you're headed. If timed correctly then you should reverse both your facing and your momentum completely.

Wavebouncing: Turn your momentum around while performing a special in the same direction you were facing (This is the one you're referencing in your post).

On most characters works on: Everything but Up-B

On Mewtwo works on: Side-B and Neutral-B

Input: Input both a Reverse-B and a B-Reversal. While moving in a certain direction flick the control stick in the opposite direction and return it to neutral. Then quickly input the Special move (if it's Side-Special you must input it in the opposite direction you're heading) and then instantly after flick the control stick in the direction you were already heading. If done correctly your character will perform a special move forwards but will completely reverse his momentum in the air.

Note: Remember to start holding the opposite direction you were originally headed torwards after performing the tech in order to actually accomplish the momentum transfer.

Basically in order to do Side-B if you're heading left your input should be:

1-) Hold left direction on control stick

2-) Side-B torwards the right

3-) Instantly flick your control stick to the left

4-) Hold right direction on control stick

Neutral-B:

1-) Hold left direction on control stick

2-) Flick your control stick to the right and return it to neutral

3-) Press B

4-) Instantly flick your control stick to the left

5-) Hold right direction on control stick

Hope this small guide helps. Wavebouncing is the only one I find hard to do and only for Down-B and Neutral-B, it is actually quite easy to do for Side-B. Since Mewtwo cannot do any "B tech" for Disable, this means that the only "hard" one is Neutral-B which B-Sticking doesn't help with anyways.

So in conclusion I think it's quite easy to learn to do what B-Sticking has to offer with just regular old control stick controls.

Another thing to note is that for Side-B, B-Reversal and Wavebouncing are actually the exact same input, so it makes it much easier to learn. The only difference is the direction you input.

On B-Reversal it's more natural since you input the direction you're currently heading and then just flick torwards where you want to go. This makes it so you only have to change directions once in the whole tech (the flick which also transfers the momentun).

On Wavebouncing it's the opposite, you input the opposite direction you're heading and flick torwards where you don't want to go (torwards where you are heading). This means that you need to switch directions 3 times (first to input, then to flick, then to transfer the momentum), which is what makes it "more complicated" even though it's the same input.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Pretty much this. I haven't played on a GC controller in a while. I have the 3DS version. B-Reversing is pretty easy once you get the timing down. Think of it as pressing the B button, letting go of it and flicking the stick in the opposite direction as you release the B button.

Wavebouncing is much harder because of the speed of it. Still trying to get it down at 2/3 speed.

My Smash Corner recently uploaded a video on these two techniques. One thing I learnt from the video is that you can B-Reverse and Wavebounce whilst jumping backwards.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
PP tilts is the best once you've got all your tech down because it is the only thing that allows you to do something that you couldn't do manually otherwise. B-reverses and wavebounces can be down manually, though it is quite technical. Smashes can obviously be done manually.

But... I prefer smashes because I've been playing Melee since 2005 or so... Old habits die hard. Plus, Mewtwo's u-smash is one of the few smashes where executing it that one extra frame earlier than with control stick + A actually has an impact.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
PP tilts is the best once you've got all your tech down because it is the only thing that allows you to do something that you couldn't do manually otherwise. B-reverses and wavebounces can be down manually, though it is quite technical. Smashes can obviously be done manually.

But... I prefer smashes because I've been playing Melee since 2005 or so... Old habits die hard. Plus, Mewtwo's u-smash is one of the few smashes where executing it that one extra frame earlier than with control stick + A actually has an impact.

I get what you're saying but technically speaking PP Tilts are also able to be done without C-Stick set to tilts. I've done it before (although I can't do any even remotely consistently except for F-Tilt which is why I set my stick to tilts). So with practice someone could do it without the stick consistently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom